Tracy

Tooty fruity fallin' in my garden.  Dypsis onilahensis hybrid and last photo of a Dypsis heteromorpha.  I have no idea if any of these are viable seeds.  What is fruiting in your garden right now?

20200916-BH3I1099.jpg

20200916-BH3I1098.jpg

20200916-BH3I1100.jpg

20200916-BH3I1101.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 3

aztropic

Coccothrinax macroglossa! B)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

image000000_08.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Hilo Jason

Dypsis Arenarum

CA223F84-AF2D-4191-B680-D8EE9E5957CE.thumb.jpeg.bc8bef23487db59663301d133ec8e6c9.jpeg

7DE19E5C-3CD9-4F3B-BF0F-410CDB35A8EC.thumb.jpeg.560bbde623737c50b014543d40181df3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

redant

My licuala grandis is dumping a ton of seeds again.  I used to love when my palms seeded, now not so much. Some of my palms seed just so much and so often it's really hard to keep up. Right now I probably have several hundred pounds of royal seeds ready to start raining down.

Really full garden

This is something rarely talked about in negative terms but it’s true that having large fruiting palms is a real problem. I have hundreds of germinating cocos, 100 pounds of Foxtail seeds, 30 lbs Bismarckia seeds. 50 lbs Carpentaria seeds , hundreds Thirnax radiata, I cant mail seeds without  an export permit ( almost impossible amount of hassle and red tape) I can’t give them away here ,so everything ends up in the compost pile . 

• Like 2

joe_OC

Just harvested the following:

D. baronii

D. onilahensis

D. "clustering amobisitrae"

Waiting on fruit to ripe:

R. 'Catham Island'

B. hapala

Flowering:

H indica

D. lanceolata

• Like 1

Really full garden

In my beach garden my Syagrus  are very well behaved. I have very tall Syagrus sanconas that have never produced seeds. Syagrus amara and Syagrus cearensis that produce a very polite amount of seed.

Rhapis excelsa and multifida have never flowered.

Kim

Walked around looking for flowers and seeds in April, taking pix with my phone. The phone made a video for me from the photos, thought I would share here, seems appropriate. :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

palmfriend
9 minutes ago, Kim said:

Walked around looking for flowers and seeds in April, taking pix with my phone. The phone made a video for me from the photos, thought I would share here, seems appropriate. :)

Beautiful, Kim!

Thank you for sharing!

best regards from Okinawa - 

Lars

• Like 1

Tracy
On 9/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, Kim said:

Walked around looking for flowers and seeds in April, taking pix with my phone. The phone made a video for me from the photos, thought I would share here,

Very nice addition KIm!  I thoroughly enjoyed peaking at your garden in bloom!

• Like 1

Hilo Jason

Dypsis Psammophila 

0F65FBD4-5D7F-43A7-AF14-362B3F954273.thumb.jpeg.2afe1de92b109d85a9c6a05dc1b030a6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

JLM

I dont have anything old enough to do that. Maybe in a few years from now if i can keep my queens protected and alive, then they will flower! Thats my ultimate goal with my queens is to atleast see them flower.

Palm Tree Jim

F91B16A5-8496-402B-A833-0B85E93756E4.jpeg

• Like 3

Fusca
2 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

F91B16A5-8496-402B-A833-0B85E93756E4.jpeg

Uh oh!  Edit coming...

Valhallalla

Not quite Tooty-Fruity yet. More like Flower Power. My Guihaia argyrata flowered for the first time last year and generated several hundred seeds by Christmas many of which I germinated. It flowered again in May but that inflorescence is only giving up maybe a dozen fruits. A week ago I noticed that it is flowering once more and this inflorescence looks more robust than the previous one. In the first photo you can see some of the developing fruits from May and the remains of last years infructescence in the back. It's crowded in there.

the genus Guihaia is supposed to be dioecious (male and female flowers on separate plants). While I have two plants next to each other with ten or so growing points between the two, this is the only growing point that has ever flowered. So, either Guihaia is actually monoecious or mine has developed some hermaphroditic qualities. Interesting mystery. No, there aren't any other Guihaia growing nearby. If I get a good quantity of seeds from this flowering event I'll make some available here.

u6p56JQ.jpg

69SzNkn.jpg

This plant stake was included with this palm when I purchased it in the mid-90s complete with Fairchild accession number.

A4glsYk.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Palm Tree Jim
On 9/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, Fusca said:

Uh oh!  Edit coming...

Yup, in November.

Tracy

I had two inflorescence push out this summer on my Dypsis prestoniana.  This is a current photo of the first of the two.  The second never set seed and appears to be in the process of dying off, as it is turning brown.  Bees were actively visiting both when they were in flower.  There were many more smaller immature seeds which have dropped off this inflorescence,  I'm not sure how large the seeds on Dypsis prestoniana need to get to be viable.

20201007-BH3I1260.jpg

• Like 4

aztropic

Coccothrinax borhidiana hybrid. Looking forward to growing some of these out...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1602172197872964801427471592077.jpg

• Like 5

realarch

More fruit.....Bentinckia condapanna, Calyptrocalyx pachystachys, Wettinia hirsuita, and Dypsis Prestoniana.

Tim

AE6C3AFA-3485-4487-A2D1-342214B91DD8.jpeg

011879DC-103B-4605-8A36-B41E29AF6FB8.jpeg

C1A1EAF5-1802-42C3-B03F-15578630BFDB.jpeg

C0F515E7-1134-479F-B3B8-3F648F11706A.jpeg

A6F06A0F-C8F3-4498-8E02-B0FE76C3067D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Palm Tree Jim

R. sapida.

F13FE611-4273-422D-89CA-F55FEC6F77EC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tracy
On 10/8/2020 at 6:44 AM, Tracy said:

I'm not sure how large the seeds on Dypsis prestoniana need to get to be viable.

Not quite like Tim's but a few of mine are starting to develop some color.  I can't help wondering if I'll get a few volunteer prestoniana's popping up underneath this one.

20201102-BH3I1578.jpg

20201102-BH3I1580.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1