IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where to find affordable pots?

chad2468emr

I've never really had an issue finding cheap little plastic pots, but recently it's been a nightmare. Big Box stores have nothing larger than 1.5 gal or so unless it's one of those over-price "ornate" pastic pots that they want $25+ for. Usually there are larger black plastic pots of all sizes, but everything seems to be picked clean or having covid-related supply issues. I have six palms sitting in 3 gal containers that I purchased this summer, and they need to be potted up to 5 or so gals; I see some roots peaking through the bottom. I've also got an L. P. Sumawongii in a 7 gal nursery pot right now that needs to be potted up to a 10 or so gal. The nursery's soil also stays wet longer than I'd care for since some of these are in shade, and I want to re-pot with a much more well-draining mix. I'm not necessarily looking for regular nursery pots, I'd just like a black plastic appropriately sized container. 

Any tips on where I can look online or otherwise? Amazon was a no go; they are price-gouging because of the trendiness of potted plants right now or something, because all plant-related supplies are 3-5x the price of what they should be. I've seen 8 qt bags of soil addendums and mediums going for $30+ dollars when they're sold for $7 or so, even at mom and pop spots. 

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Well I answered my own question by using the same place I found as a solution when I couldn't find any perlite.... I don't know why I didn't think to look there because they have just about EVERYTHING for cheap pricing and they're local to me. The definition of insanity is trying to same thing over and over and expecting different results, so I guess I've finally earned my "driven insane by palms" badge, hahaha.

I got six 7 gal pots and three 10 gals for $90 including overnight shipping. They're the "premium" nursery pots with the square holes along the bottom, and even if they don't look "fancy," I like them because they're easy to carry given the lip around the lid and those square holes drain REALLY well so I don't ever have to worry about water standing in the plant. Even for my palms that like more "moist" soil than most (C. Renda, Licuala species, dypsis to an extent, etc.) I would prefer to just water more often than have waterlogged soil sitting at the bottom of the container and not realize it. 

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

On 9/17/2020 at 10:33 AM, chad2468emr said:

Well I answered my own question by using the same place I found as a solution when I couldn't find any perlite.... I don't know why I didn't think to look there because they have just about EVERYTHING for cheap pricing and they're local to me. The definition of insanity is trying to same thing over and over and expecting different results, so I guess I've finally earned my "driven insane by palms" badge, hahaha.

I got six 7 gal pots and three 10 gals for $90 including overnight shipping. They're the "premium" nursery pots with the square holes along the bottom, and even if they don't look "fancy," I like them because they're easy to carry given the lip around the lid and those square holes drain REALLY well so I don't ever have to worry about water standing in the plant. Even for my palms that like more "moist" soil than most (C. Renda, Licuala species, dypsis to an extent, etc.) I would prefer to just water more often than have waterlogged soil sitting at the bottom of the container and not realize it. 

Chad, you may want to check with local retail or wholesale nurseries in the future for nursery pots/liners.  They usually have stacks of them and would likely sell some. Interestingly you are located in Florida, I used to have the hardest time finding those wooden baskets for orchids so when I vacationed in Florida I'd buy the baskets in FL and check them with luggage to fly home with me.  Can never find them up north or poor selection, high prices.  Florida is such a wonderland for horticultural supplies like that.  Sadly, with Covid travel restrictions, I have not been flying to FL.   I now order the baskets online from L*WES and they are reasonably priced and ship cheaply; perhaps they have nursery liners in 7-10 gal sizes that you can order online.