IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Young palm quick decline- causes?

doubravsky

I've always just accepted that this happens, but curious. I can tell when fungus hits, or cold decline, but this year 3 of my newly acquired palms, a Cyphophoenix Nucele, Actinokentia Divaricata, and a Pinange Phillipinensis took a nose dive, and now one of two Dypsis Lafamazanga appears headed the same way. The symptoms- overall dessication... they just seem to "dry up" and croak over a few weeks time. The Cypho and Actinokentia started quickly after being planted... both from 3 gallon pots. The Dypsis is just showing decline after being in the ground 2 months. The Pinanga was a group of palms received from Floribunda- I potted it up upon receiving it.  Granted, this is less than 20% of the palms I purchased/planted this year- so I'm not super surprised but wondering what I might be doing wrong. They all had appropriate shade, a drip line with appropriate water, etc. 

Pics to follow- thoughts?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

@doubravsky

Just tossing one up in the air as I've had a few experiences with "Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome" as well, but could it have been related to the heatwave that ended recently?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

12 minutes ago, doubravsky said:

I've always just accepted that this happens, but curious. I can tell when fungus hits, or cold decline, but this year 3 of my newly acquired palms, a Cyphophoenix Nucele, Actinokentia Divaricata, and a Pinange Phillipinensis took a nose dive, and now one of two Dypsis Lafamazanga appears headed the same way. The symptoms- overall dessication... they just seem to "dry up" and croak over a few weeks time. The Cypho and Actinokentia started quickly after being planted... both from 3 gallon pots. The Dypsis is just showing decline after being in the ground 2 months. The Pinanga was a group of palms received from Floribunda- I potted it up upon receiving it.  Granted, this is less than 20% of the palms I purchased/planted this year- so I'm not super surprised but wondering what I might be doing wrong. They all had appropriate shade, a drip line with appropriate water, etc. 

Pics to follow- thoughts?

The first question is with regard to the recent high temps much of southern California has recently experienced.  This would be particularly pertinent for the most recent declines.  I recall reading Chino hit 121 back on 9/6/2020.  In that the plants were small they probably didn't have much of an opportunity to acclimate either.  Think not only about the temps but the potential lack of humidity you may have had at the same time.  I don't know if it was dry or humid inland during that time, as temps close to the beach were moderated and it wasn't exceptionally humid or dry during the day. 

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hot dry wind will destroy lots of Tropical Palms. We had unusual hot dry winds in September of 97 or 98, coming from the east. It took out whole blocks of ptychosperma waitianum. They looked blowtorched, just like your plants. That stuff is just not made for hot dry environment. Hot and humid yes, hot and dry, you see what happens.

• Upvote 1

Yep the Lafamazanga, and the Pinanga happened after the particularly hot weekend a few weeks back where it hit 117. They didn’t show the sporadic browning that heat damage looked like on some other palms planted this year. 

The other two seemed to tank right after planting.. and it was probably high 90’s through July but not 100+. And we haven’t had any high winds yet this season so I doubt that played a role. 

That being said- being dry heat related absolves me of responsibility... so... I like that! :) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Hi Dave!

Definitely heat related!  I have burnt leaves on some of my palms.  About half of my flushing cycads had a partial to complete melt down!

• Like 2

test

Agree that it is heat related.  My Carpoxylon loves the heat, but hates dry air.  I had a new frond open up a few months ago and did not have time to harden up when we had a heatwave with strong winds.  The dry wind killed that new frond in a day.  All the other fronds on the palm are fine.  It has opened up a new frond since then and an emerging spear.  

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24