IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Dream Palm

Ben in Norcal

Greg Stewart’s thread on his Foxy Lady reminded me to post an update on mine - which I just got via transplant a couple of months back. It went through some transplant shock, and then burned a little through our two bouts of 110+ for multiple days. It’s not much to look at right now, but has put out two new fronds, so that gives me hope for the future!

54C54CBA-A487-4652-8692-EDD6C09826E8.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I'll try and update this thread in the future - if I can keep Ms. Foxy alive! 

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Hybrid Foxy Lady palms are robust, durable, and forgiving palms. MUCH more so than either of their parents and rockets in growth speed in areas where Wodyetia and Veithchia are difficult to grow because of unfavorable climates. I hope they become a more common site here in the Bay Area and other parts of California. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Just bought a second one yesterday to match this one  I planted  September 1st .  It was in a three gallon pot and the new spear has come up that tall since then...

foxy gd size.JPG

• Like 5

Sending positive vibes. I’m sure it will work out for you. And what a score to get that.

I had several palms burn in the recent heat wave. Almost started a thread on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Jealous! I will have to make do with my small one. Hopefully it will start trunking in a year :)

Just like kids, they grow so fast. So enjoy yours now because before you know it it will be all grown up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Just like kids, they grow so fast. So enjoy yours now because before you know it it will be all grown up.

Mine are so tall you can't enjoy them any longer, they just blend into the jungle canopy now.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

45 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Ben, was this foxy lady sourced from down south in CA?

Yep - this one came up from San Diego. :D

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

41 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Looks like it would have been a real job to dig and move.

Any photos of that LOL ??

This picture may post wrong, but yes was quite an effort to move and plant this one by myself!

A9E834E5-2BCB-4F44-9B4D-05BC54E3B7FA.jpeg

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

14 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Yes, since last year it has already grown a ton! these are insanely fast. Little bit of sunburn from earlier in the year but it doesn't care. Got a while to catch up to Ben's size!

IMG_2280.jpeg

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 6