IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail palm in tight spot

Lukey

Questioning if the 2 foxtails (7 gallon) I just planted are going to create a problem in the future.  It's a tight spot, about my only choice of spots though. Stairwell is on one side, driveways on the other. There's about 17 inches between the driveway and where the footer begins (7 inches underground) to the stairwell. And they are about 17 inches from the walkway, which is in front. Won't be an issue with the fronds, but just thinking about the rootball (any threat to driveway, stairwell) ,enough room to grow etc.  Basically, Is this "enough" room for them?

IMG_20200916_090950.jpg

IMG_20200916_091029.jpg

Edited by Lukey

I think they will be fine.  Palm roots generally aren't invasive/don't bother anything.  I have palms on top of my driveway, putting out roots on to the surface!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Plenty of room. Roots generally grow around obstacles.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16002749350531590194754901113137.jpg

16002750317753383058943391902922.jpg

16002751240511947833694027885229.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Palms generally don't have invasive, destructive roots, so I think the spot shouldn't be an issue for the driveway, wall or pavers.  My only concern is the diameter of the trunk at the bottom, after they start trunking.  Some palms get 3' diameter bases, which wouldn't fit in your spot.  I think Foxtails are one of the smaller ones, but all of my Foxtails are relatively young.  The biggest is about 12-14' height overall, and have 8-10" diameter trunks.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Palms generally don't have invasive, destructive roots, so I think the spot shouldn't be an issue for the driveway, wall or pavers.  My only concern is the diameter of the trunk at the bottom, after they start trunking.  Some palms get 3' diameter bases, which wouldn't fit in your spot.  I think Foxtails are one of the smaller ones, but all of my Foxtails are relatively young.  The biggest is about 12-14' height overall, and have 8-10" diameter trunks.

Yeah maybe the second photo needs to be centered. Pretty close to the concrete?

The growing space is kinda tight but the palm will survive that. i just checked my own Foxtail and the flared area at the base is over 18 inches across. It would be contacting concrete on both sides if it were in your location.

The biggest problem you will eventually have is hundreds of large gooey fruits/seeds dropping all over your steps and driveway. Messy and a potential safety issue. Also the fronds are very large and heavy and they could damage things below as they are shed. The inflorescences can be cut before fruiting and the fronds preemptively trimmed but that will be an ongoing chore or expense which becomes progressively more difficult as the palm gets taller and further out of reach.

I didn't consider the seeds and fronds aspect of things when I planted mine 25 years ago. I couldn't picture how large the palm would get and there were few if any Foxtails making seed in this country at that time. I wish I would have thought of those things before I planted and picked another spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Valhallalla.  Yes, about the only time I'm hoping not to get a thick trunk on a palm. 18" is pretty impressive. Good heads up on the seeds, I've actually never had the chance to see a foxtail fruiting. Hopefully I can leverage the staircase to help out on reaching them over time.

Should be no problem... I’ve got two in a tiny planter right up again at the house...

image.thumb.jpeg.fdc9dc66818adfa95422ab1199f023dc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e12b28bea585a76313c043ec77bbc871.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Very impressive Dave. That is a tight fit! Thanks for sharing. It gives me some confidence.  Curious, what is that to the left of your smallest foxtail; the palm as tall as your foxtails?

Here is my Foxtail.  Diameter at the base is at least 20".  Tree's been in the ground about 20 years and must have more than 18' of trunk.  To bad I planted it so close to an Arenga Pinnata.  It's loaded w/fruit and dropping them all around.

20200926_1.jpg

20200926_2.jpg

20200926_3.jpg

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Palms aren't (generally) cement-crackers.  Leave that up to eucs and ficus.  

As always, there are exceptions. Foxtails, nope.  You're good to go.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)