Sign in to follow this  
elcassador

New Palms

elcassador

Hi all,

I have enjoyed learning from this community and am excited to receive my first palms shortly. I live in 8a zone and have recently purchased two Sabal sp Tamaulipas and one Sabal brazoriensis, which will arrive in 3.5" (24 fl. oz/0.7 L) pots. We will moving in about 3 years (after grad school) to either a 8b or 9a zone, when we will then plant these in the ground. I wanted to ask for a good re-potting strategy for the next 3 years until. What size pot, sun amount, watering, etc. Thanks.

Fusca
11 hours ago, elcassador said:

Hi all,

I have enjoyed learning from this community and am excited to receive my first palms shortly. I live in 8a zone and have recently purchased two Sabal sp Tamaulipas and one Sabal brazoriensis, which will arrive in 3.5" (24 fl. oz/0.7 L) pots. We will moving in about 3 years (after grad school) to either a 8b or 9a zone, when we will then plant these in the ground. I wanted to ask for a good re-potting strategy for the next 3 years until. What size pot, sun amount, watering, etc. Thanks.

Hi, any advice you might get will depend on the conditions of the palms once you get them.  Most palms are quite happy staying in the same container until they start pushing roots out the bottom through the drainage holes.  Potting up palms to containers too large will make it difficult to control moisture so that is not recommended.  Once you post some photos of the palms and have a good description of the potting medium being used will be helpful for those offering advice.  Good luck with your graduate studies!  :)

• Like 1