IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Palms

elcassador

Hi all,

I have enjoyed learning from this community and am excited to receive my first palms shortly. I live in 8a zone and have recently purchased two Sabal sp Tamaulipas and one Sabal brazoriensis, which will arrive in 3.5" (24 fl. oz/0.7 L) pots. We will moving in about 3 years (after grad school) to either a 8b or 9a zone, when we will then plant these in the ground. I wanted to ask for a good re-potting strategy for the next 3 years until. What size pot, sun amount, watering, etc. Thanks.

11 hours ago, elcassador said:

Hi all,

I have enjoyed learning from this community and am excited to receive my first palms shortly. I live in 8a zone and have recently purchased two Sabal sp Tamaulipas and one Sabal brazoriensis, which will arrive in 3.5" (24 fl. oz/0.7 L) pots. We will moving in about 3 years (after grad school) to either a 8b or 9a zone, when we will then plant these in the ground. I wanted to ask for a good re-potting strategy for the next 3 years until. What size pot, sun amount, watering, etc. Thanks.

Hi, any advice you might get will depend on the conditions of the palms once you get them.  Most palms are quite happy staying in the same container until they start pushing roots out the bottom through the drainage holes.  Potting up palms to containers too large will make it difficult to control moisture so that is not recommended.  Once you post some photos of the palms and have a good description of the potting medium being used will be helpful for those offering advice.  Good luck with your graduate studies!  :)

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

G'day mate, as Jon said don't try to pot them up too quickly.  Smaller pots are better/easier in lots of ways as long as you keep an eye on them.

You could start your history of them by posting a pic of them now when they are only young, and we can all follow their progress.

And welcome to the forum,

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

@elcassador Welcome to the forums!  I'd recommend the same as @gtsteve - share a photo right when they get here.  It's very gratifying to have a photo timeline after some years of growth.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F