IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Roebellini - saving an unhealthy transplant?

Merlyn

One of my neighbors offered me a free Roebellini, but they needed it transplanted asap.  So it is pretty anemic-looking and was in a spot with pretty dense shade and constantly wet soil.  I managed to get a pretty big rootball, just under 2' diameter and a bit asymmetric.  It's planted in a spot with full sun until about 2-3PM, and gets shade from a big Thai Black banana to the West side.  I planted it at about the same depth, though it did have some aerial roots growing about 4-8" up the trunk.  I rinsed dirt in under the rootball on planting it, to avoid any air pockets.  Initially I gave it about 1 "scoop" of Osmocote, but I know it's in pretty poor health to start with. 

Any suggestions on the best way to keep this one alive?  Give it some systemic fungicide?  Some diluted liquid fertilizer like 1/4 strength Miracle Gro?  Diluted Palm Nutritional spray as a soil drench?  Or just leave it alone and cross my fingers?  Here's the top slightly out of focus:

1210372866_P1060467cropped.thumb.JPG.ecee2d7ca8fa596c7be8c9aa8a7a58ae.JPG

And the crown with a night flash:

948177424_P1060468cropped.thumb.JPG.d9ffff9690ce0610052abf8a4f6d0a39.JPG

The root ball looked surprisingly good and not mucky like I expected:

1134939648_P1060456cropped.thumb.JPG.7fee13f2f0360f3cb0a4f4be7b0cb60b.JPG

And before I filled in around it:

1367554352_P1060464cropped.thumb.JPG.393b95dca7658fe6b8ea0c82a8e6dc83.JPG

Water it daily, big ole 5 gal bucket of water. Could have planted deeper but you could mound it if ya want.  It will brown some till it gets acclimated to more sun but should be fine without any special treatment IMO. The moss on the trunk will die off in the sun.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 10:16 PM, NOT A TA said:

Water it daily, big ole 5 gal bucket of water. Could have planted deeper but you could mound it if ya want.  It will brown some till it gets acclimated to more sun but should be fine without any special treatment IMO. The moss on the trunk will die off in the sun.

I did plant it a bit deeper than the original, I probably covered about 2-3 inches of the aerial roots.  I've been making sure that it gets a lot of water, and the storms have helped!  We got 7.2 inches of rain here on Sunday!  So far so good, it hasn't moved on the spear but hasn't substantially yellowed or browned.  I think the heavy cloud cover has helped keep it from getting burned, and it's supposed to be around 82 as a high all week.  Hopefully it'll root in well over the fall and be ready for some nice new growth in the spring!

If you get some extra mulch/soil just mound it right up to the top of the existing aerial roots. The plant will thank you.

We got a lot of rain here Sunday night as well. Filled all my collection barrels back up.