IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Hot Time on the Left Coast

DoomsDave

Unless you're in a cave, you know that we're having a record wild-fire year in Washington, Oregon and California, as well as other states nearby.

I'm downwind of the El Dorado ("Gender Reveal") Fire, about 50 miles away from me in Yucaipa in the El Dorado National Forest. I've been getting a dusting of ash for about 10 days now; the sky was so overcast with smoke it reduced the temperatures a bit, and made it easier to work in the yard because there's no worry about baking in the hot sun.

Some of you are in the slipstream of the Bobcat Fire in the San Gabriel Mountains (the Dark Tower for me).

Anyone else having a hot time, or, a cool time because of all the smoke and ash?

Hope all are well and no one has to flee their homes.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Spent a few days in Paso Robles last week and got the nuclear winter effect in that temps were 10-15F degrees lower than forecast due to the smoke from California fires. It was supposed to be  in the 90s, but topped out at 75F. No sun and weird apocalyptic looking orange/brown skies for the three days we were there!

• Like 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

@Darold Petty how are y'all up there?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

8 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Air quality is slightly better today, thanks !

Yeah, saw those pictures, got a bit worried.

Saw those pictures from Oregon, even worse. Sob!

Glad you're okay!

• Like 1

We have been experiencing a wildfire to the east of San Diego which has dropped ash in our yard and the sun looks like a little red dot kind of like a 60s sci-fi movie it's been hot and muggy but  a little nicer weather is in the upcoming forecast . Weird summer for sure. Palms that got burnt when we hit 105 degrees ouch .

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, DoomsDave said:

Unless you're in a cave, you know that we're having a record wild-fire year in Washington, Oregon and California, as well as other states nearby.

I'm downwind of the El Dorado ("Gender Reveal") Fire, about 50 miles away from me in Yucaipa in the El Dorado National Forest. I've been getting a dusting of ash for about 10 days now; the sky was so overcast with smoke it reduced the temperatures a bit, and made it easier to work in the yard because there's no worry about baking in the hot sun.

Some of you are in the slipstream of the Bobcat Fire in the San Gabriel Mountains (the Dark Tower for me).

Anyone else having a hot time, or, a cool time because of all the smoke and ash?

Hope all are well and no one has to flee their homes.

I’m in Wickenburg, AZ.  The last two days of the year where we were supposed to be 110+, we got enough smoke to keep us shaded and down around 106-107.  That was a pleasant and unexpected reprieve.

• Like 1

Northern California dealing with new fire outbreaks this week: https://apnews.com/article/wildfires-san-francisco-evacuations-helena-fires-1a4c370f44b2181f18b8a3d4647ff10f

My mom used to live in the Oakmont retirement community with thousands of other seniors. Glad she never had to face a general evacuation like this!

PalmFire.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the more northern areas are getting it this time, including Oregon.

The little town of Detroit in the mountains was ravaged by the Santiam fire. According to news reports, the only thing anyone could do to survive was stand in the nearby lake and pray while the town burned to the ground.

• Like 1

The next few days may be worse.  Weather people are predicting the "Diablo' winds.  This is the same as 'Santa Ana' wind in SoCal, where hot, dry air moves from the continent offshore toward the ocean.  :(

San Francisco, California