IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hedyscepe goes to 11

Darold Petty

Not really any info here, my garden has suffered several disheartening losses lately, plus Covid-19 and wildfire blues,  just some encouraging images,   :winkie:

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

• Like 35
  • Upvote 7

San Francisco, California

3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

my garden has suffered several disheartening losses lately, plus Covid-19 and wildfire blues,  just some encouraging images,   

Agree that we all can use some encouraging news and images, so thanks for sharing this beautiful palm.  Our air quality has been no where near as bad as you have had or other parts of the state, but I know I could feel it in my lungs when out surfing yesterday morning.  We are truly fortunate to have our gardens to enjoy in these times! 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hi Darrold

Its always a pleasure to see your garden .

We were at Mt Field at the weekend amongst the giant richea pandifolia , remembering your visit there a few years ago.

kind regards

Mike

Thanks for posting this Darold. It brightened the start to my day. Thats a stunningly beautiful palm youve got there.

I hope things start to go better for all of you guys in the US with covid19 and the fires on the west coast. 

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks.  Both the air quality and my mood are improving,... blue skies and actual, direct sunshine make a big difference ! :greenthumb:

• Like 4

Hi Darold, may I ask, how well does Hedyscepe canterburyana enjoy northern California full sun, compared to Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and Rhopalostylis sapida?  I realize your neighborhood is not in full sun for much of the summer.  The air also is much improved down here in Burlingame.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Hedyscepe is more tender to hot sun.  Foliage that has grown in my 'direct sun' will be damaged during the once/year event when the hot, dry interior air moves toward the ocean, similar to Santa Ana wind in SoCal.

Archontophoenix, I can't tell, I have only one plant and the foliage is too tall to observe the top side.

Rhopalostylis seems to be the toughest of these three.

Andrei, you should come by, I would feel OK if we both wear masks.  :)

• Like 2

Oh my eyes! Blindingly beautiful photos of Hedyscepe!

I saw one this morning on my extended walk through Point Loma, San Diego. The climate here is hospitable, but the palm is rare, though older specimens are found. But I did not encounter the fireworks yours is displaying! Special!

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 4 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 2:05 AM, Darold Petty said:

Not really any info here, my garden has suffered several disheartening losses lately, plus Covid-19 and wildfire blues,  just some encouraging images,   :winkie:

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Hi Darold

" my garden has suffered several disheartening losses " Oh dear what has died ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

My first, (1983),  and tallest Hedyscepe succumbed to a root pathogen, likely Phytophthora.  It had about 3.5 m of trunk below the crownshaft.  The Geonoma undata looks really bad, and our family dog died last November from lymphoma.   :(

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

My first, (1983),  and tallest Hedyscepe succumbed to a root pathogen, likely Phytophthora.  It had about 3.5 m of trunk below the crownshaft.  The Geonoma undata looks really bad, and our family dog died last November from lymphoma.   :(

Oh no! Sorry about your dog. 

Amazing the hedyscepe. Looking forward to the same performance of mine.

Sorry for your losses Darold. Let us all hope for better times.

• Like 1