IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tropical Storm Sally

JLM

As Tropical Storm Sally threatens to become a hurricane before landfall from LA to AL, preparations are underway here! We are preparing for a potential hurricane impact, which is worst case scenario for this area of the coast. Drainage systems were flushed today, gutters were cleaned out, trenches will be dug tomorrow aswell as securing loose lightweight objects. Only minor prep here, but LA has already issued Mandatory Evacuations for unprotected levee areas. Anyone else preparing for Sally on the Gulf Coast?

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

We picked up just over three inches of rain here near Orlando in a couple days from Sally as the storm passed south and west of us.

My thoughts are with everyone in the path of what is expected to become Hurricane Sally.  Stay safe, evacuate when called to do so and use the utmost care when dealing with downed power lines and with using generators.

-Michael

• Like 1

We had alternating periods of downpours and sun while it was off the coast.  Hope that it ends up being mostly a rain event.  Why can't something like this head out west and put the fires out?

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

We had over 5.5" inches of rain since Sat. night. Got tropical storm strength wind overnight to Sun. and I can see fronds down out the windows but it's been too wet to go out and pick up debris. Looks like we could get more rain bands today. The darn thing is slowing down to nothing and just spinning - bad news all around.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Expected to have sustained winds of TS force for up to TWO DAYS possibly. At some point hurricane force wind gusts become an issue. We have done tied everything down, basically just watching and waiting. Gas stations are without gas here, and the grocery stores went from being stocked to picked over all within a few hours. Pure craziness.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Bracing for it here. Luckily it has weakened some. Pressure starting to fall again though. Models keep shifting east, they are now over the Gulf Shores area. Very concerning in terms of wind and rain impacts to my area. A historic flood event looks likely according to the National Weather Service.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Bracing for it here. Luckily it has weakened some. Pressure starting to fall again though. Models keep shifting east, they are now over the Gulf Shores area. Very concerning in terms of wind and rain impacts to my area. A historic flood event looks likely according to the National Weather Service.

Bread, milk, toilet paper........check.

Praying for the best outcome for you and your community

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

At least the wind threat looks greatly reduced, versus what I feared might occur and started to be forecast to occur, yesterday (or was it the night before, when it rapidly intensified from 65 mph to 85 mph in a couple hours?).

Make no mistake, it is still a dangerous Category 1 hurricane and as such, can do a lot of damage and should not be taken lightly.  That said, the wind impact impact should not be devestating.

As JLM said, it is the rainfall with this one to be concerned about.  Let's hope it unexpectedly picks up some forward speed and shoots northeast and outta that area.

I wouldn't mind another inch or two of rain from its outskirts, but that isn't forecast to happen.

-Michael

• Like 1

Now expecting 20-30 inches of rain. Winds already started and likely wont stop for a while, only going to get worse. Neighbors Washingtonia is taking a beating, queen palms holding up well. Hearing cracking from big trees, i know what to expect.

Losing roof shingles, 1:51am CDT

My house is in a suburb just north of Mobile, so I'm smack dab in the middle of the path. I am in Connecticut at the moment, so feeling like there's not much I can do. I've got good neighbors; they've already texted me that they checked my yard for anything that could fly around. Fortunately, flooding is not a primary worry, but who knows? My biggest concern is the huge, ancient live oak that overhangs half of the house. Those branches are heavy.

We just got power back! We were in the eyewall for atleast 2 hours or longer. Crazy winds, almost ripped off our roof. The queen palms took a severe beating, the oldest one seeming to have the worst affects. The backyard queen was almost uprooted from all the heavy rain and strong winds. We just got back from a walk around our neighborhood picking up our shingles. The sound of generators running in all directions from you is a very eerie sound. Right before the eyewall hit, we witnessed power flashes. Intense winds of hurricane force was the cause of the damages. Trees and fences down all over the place, the 3 Mile Bridge that connects Pensacola to Gulf Breeze, which is a brand spanking new bridge, suffered a ton of damage. So much so that a chunk of the bridge is missing. Just figured i would let everyone know that we are doing okay here in the Panhandle of Florida!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JLM said:

We just got power back! We were in the eyewall for atleast 2 hours or longer. Crazy winds, almost ripped off our roof. The queen palms took a severe beating, the oldest one seeming to have the worst affects. The backyard queen was almost uprooted from all the heavy rain and strong winds. We just got back from a walk around our neighborhood picking up our shingles. The sound of generators running in all directions from you is a very eerie sound. Right before the eyewall hit, we witnessed power flashes. Intense winds of hurricane force was the cause of the damages. Trees and fences down all over the place, the 3 Mile Bridge that connects Pensacola to Gulf Breeze, which is a brand spanking new bridge, suffered a ton of damage. So much so that a chunk of the bridge is missing. Just figured i would let everyone know that we are doing okay here in the Panhandle of Florida!

Glad that at least you are OK and the power is back on.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

About an hour or so after the power came on we lost internet, who wwould have thought. Everything is back now!

• Like 1

@kinzyjr my backyard queen almost got uprooted as you know, i went out today and pulled on it, it was still firm in the ground. I put more soil around it, tried filling in the gaps, and staked it in place. I am simply using tent stakes and old shoe strings. All three had their spears shredded, and now im waiting for one of them to pull. Hopefully not but i have a feeling that what might end up happening.

• Like 1

Early damage estimates in Santa Rosa County, Florida is about 1.1 million, plus debris removal, which adds 20 million. The early estimated total from Sally in Santa Rosa County is $20.1M