IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hollywood can’t trick a Palm nerd

Stevetoad

I was watching the movie “grown ups” tonight. Adam Sandler says “I’m the biggest agent in Hollywood” (the House is in Los Angeles ). Then goes outside. Can anyone see what’s wrong with this scene.......

121F21B3-F379-4D1B-B7DA-D51DBB40E7D8.jpeg

• Like 5

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

We have green guys from the production companies down here buying things all the time to dress sets. Here's a semi load of palms heading to Atlanta last week to create a jungle effect on a set there. Adonidias won't grow in Los Angeles. But they can be shipped from Florida and look terrific on the day they're shooting.

Screenshot_20200913-022247.jpg

• Like 4

Or a scene is set in a specific country in a jungle or wild area, but none of the plants are native to where it’s supposed to be. 

• Like 6

I see scenes all the time that are supposed to be Miami and all you see are Washies :lol:

CSI Miami was the worse.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

How about cookabura calls in the African jungle !   :winkie:

In some of the old Tarzan movies one can see Washingtonia trunks,  I believe these were filmed at the LA Arboretum in Arcadia, CA.

• Like 4

San Francisco, California

It bothered my delicate sensibilities when I noticed all the long shots of "Robin's Nest" on the new Magnum PI are CGI fakes.  Why do they need to computer generate palms in Hawaii?

• Like 5

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

2 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

How about cookabura calls in the African jungle !   :winkie:

In some of the old Tarzan movies one can see Washingtonia trunks,  I believe these were filmed at the LA Arboretum in Arcadia, CA.

Don't forget all the Date palms in the middle of the jungle.  Also the peacock calls in Africa.

• Like 3

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Yep, my wife gets pretty annoyed when we're watching a film and I say things like "Sure, of course ancient Greeks and Persians had Bismarck palms imported from Madagascar, and Adonidia from the Philippines, to decorate their palaces more than 2000 years ago... " (Colin Farrell's "Alexander" if I remember correctly) 

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Many years ago when I lived in VA I saw a TV commercial for a mini-series called "Back Stairs at the White House" and it featured the cast of White House servants marching across the House's front lawn against a backdrop of soaring Washingtonia robustas. I didn't know their generic name but I had worked 1-1/2 blocks east of the White House and can attest no Washies or palms of any ilk ever grew there.

I've seen numerous commercials filmed on the beaches of Malibu and Venice, CA with pumped and addled hipsters gyrating in front of cardboard cutouts of coconut palms.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

But Gilligan's Island was all ligit, right? Right?! My childhood depends on it..

• Like 7

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

2 hours ago, Moose said:

I see scenes all the time that are supposed to be Miami and all you see are Washies :lol:

CSI Miami was the worse.

THIS! As a South Florida native I was also so eager to point this out and my friends look at me like I’m crazy. (I probably am) 

Dexter was the worst for me. They filmed some of the earlier seasons in Miami which is where it was set and I was living for the authenticity. And then all of a sudden all I could see were washies and “Miami beach” looked a little different than it was supposed to because they moved production to LA. It made the show much harder to watch for me when most normal people would never have even noticed. 

Also, since my eyes are so trained to automatically point towards even the briefest silhouette of a palm, it cracks me up when shows are set in the NE and I notice palms in the background when people are driving. NCIS, Shameless, and The Office are really guilty of this. Everyone’s wearing winter jackets and a blue filter is over the screen to make it look “cold” and then I see a 40 foot washingtonia in a shopping plaza outside their car window, hahaha. 

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 6

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Lol. The other night when my family was watching Full Metal Jacket, I made sure to point out the incorrect use date palms for the Vietnam scenes. They think I'm crazy for noticing this stuff. Did some research and it turns out the entire movie was shot in the UK, and they imported date palms from Spain for a "tropical" look :floor:

fmj.thumb.jpg.bcda508e79e63c5925db95bab9d0f89c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I notice it all the time during driving scenes on TV shows. Driving from NYC to the Hamptons and they pass a skirted Washingtonia? I don’t think so ;)

• Like 2

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

It is kind of annoying when they’re obviously not where they claimed to be. They try to pass California off as Florida a lot,  but then you see a palm you know doesn’t live in Florida or maybe a mountain and it’s pretty obviously not FL. LOL

9 hours ago, quaman58 said:

But Gilligan's Island was all ligit, right? Right?! My childhood depends on it..

That show was awesome. I grew up in the 90s watching all the old reruns on late night TV. I don’t care how fake the set was or all the special effects.

• Like 4

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

52 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Ginger or MaryAnne ??

MaryAnne.

I remember seeing CIDP and Washingtonia briefly during old M*A*S*H reruns (S. Korea) as well as Hogan's Heroes (Germany).  I also thought it was funny that almost every show had white powdery fake snow on the ground that never melted as well as fake ice on the Kommandant's office windows.  I always thought Germany had spring, summer and fall seasons...or did everything in that show only happen in winter?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Star Wars Rogue One.

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

'The Office'. Suppose to be Scranton Pennsylvania but you see large Washingtonia Robusta's off in the distance LOL! It was a super quick flash of them. My wife use to get annoyed too but I think she's starting to respect my investigational skills now, she gave me props on this one B)

• Like 3

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

14 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

. Did some research and it turns out the entire movie was shot in the UK, and they imported date palms from Spain for a "tropical" look :floor:

fmj.thumb.jpg.bcda508e79e63c5925db95bab9d0f89c.jpg

They should have filmed it in Surrey, apparently that's what it looks like!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, quaman58 said:

But Gilligan's Island was all legit, right? Right?! My childhood depends on it..

Rest easy, it was real. The only non-legit thing was; why didn't the professor ever try to fix the boat?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Rest easy, it was real. The only non-legit thing was; why didn't the professor ever try to fix the boat?

You don't remember the episode where they used MaryAnne's "maple syrup" to glue the planks to the boat and it caused the entire boat to fall apart?  LOL!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

I remember watching “Lost” a series that never ended. The jungle was full of Dypsis lutescens. So they weren’t really lost they were in Madagascar..........but probably filmed in Hawaii. 

Yes, I thought I was the only one who did this. Some movies are authentic though. The Hunt for The Wilderpeople is full of Rhopalostylis sapida.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

18 hours ago, sandgroper said:

They should have filmed it in Surrey, apparently that's what it looks like!

@sandgroper, you read my mind! That's exactly what I thought.

There's a sad side to this though. Where are they going to shoot films portraying the UK in a dark, cold grey, green-less winter?

It'll be impossible soon because that big ole sun will be streaming non stop all winter through all the skydusting washingtonias, Queens and even Royals that apparently are shooting up everywhere, soon to create a palmy skyline, all over the southern UK....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sipalms said:

@sandgroper, you read my mind! That's exactly what I thought.

There's a sad side to this though. Where are they going to shoot films portraying the UK in a dark, cold grey, green-less winter?

I suspect there are many parts in southern England which are quite green during winter.

I implore everyone engulfed in this pointless bickering to desist.  You're overlapping "shots over the bow" onto different threads.

Thank you.

:greenthumb:

20200915_000206.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

@GottmitAlex, I would implore you to stand up for actual data and facts, not gross exaggerations of data, and fake photography.

I was referring above to vegetation as in trees. The vast majority, I mean literally the vast majority of the UKs natural bush cover is deciduous trees, which gives the appearance of a complete lack of colour in winter (just like driving through Illinois in January). Trust me, I have spent time in the UK in December and it was extremely noticeable. Depressing actually. No sun, no colour . That is something you do not notice in warmer climates or the Mediterranean/subtropics where evergreens are common if not prominent. You're in northern Mexico, no doubt you know what I mean.

Anyhow, I'm sorry for the thread 'spillover' as you say.

I would suggest if you want to see New Zealand's native palms in a movie, watch 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' as @Tyrone mentioned, although I doubt if Hollywood had anything to do with it!!

• Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 9:53 PM, Darold Petty said:

Ginger or MaryAnne ??

Mary Ann singlehandedly makes up for any of the shows other shortcomings. lol 

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Back in the early 80s I visited my brother-in-law and his wife in the Thousand Oaks area of So Cal. I remember my BIL pointing out the front window at all the scrubby, dry brush in the distance. He said, "You know they film Dukes of Hazzard over there."

Dukes of Hazzard was my two sons' most favorite tv show in the whole world. I knew they would be impressed that their uncle was so lucky. I gazed at those dusty, arid hills and unpaved paths dotted with half dead brush and wondered if any of the show's Hollywood producers had visited or even seen photos of lush GA countryside. Cue rebel yell.

• Like 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

LOL So many scenes from the Office that were CLEARLY NOT set in Scranton PA. Most of the scenes where they're riding in a car were filmed in Southern CA - you can see the attempt to blur our phoenix canariensis and washingtonia poking up in the background. 

Also, in This Is Us, when Kevin goes to a rehab facility, the front of the facility is planted with strelitzia. You can see washingtonia trunks also lol

• Like 3