IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

11 2 ish gal Livistona Chinensis (Chinese Fan Palm)

chad2468emr

Hey there,

Today I bought “one” 3 gal Livistona Chinensis from HD and they managed to find a way to cram 14 into a single pot which... well that’s something else. 

I gently separated them all and I have to say for the most part there was minimal root loss, but since I can’t promise anyone these are in the best of shape, I’d like to offer them for free. I kept my three fav out of the bunch and they are now potted individually. I just can’t bring myself to toss the rest of them since they are really healthy looking little fellas and if someone with the space and the patience was looking to line a long driveway with them or something, they would look really nice in a few years. 

I live in the Orlando area so if someone would like to pick them up they will be 100% free, but I am also willing to ship if you cover shipping. They would be shipped USPS priority with moist soil wrapped in foil around their roots  

They are presently laid into a nursery pot with their roots loosely covered in moist soil and placed in a shaded area. I’ll keep them like this as long as they last, but I definitely am not interested in keeping this many of this species so if I can’t find any takers by the time they start to keel over I’ll have to toss them. 

Pictures are below:

F369EE00-DD23-4434-B833-2726FB6DABBE.thumb.jpeg.22a77f5da491b89846bff45367e33e73.jpeg

9B33BE61-0E6C-468F-96C0-1BB7BAA1F75F.thumb.jpeg.a68c3aec1c0c964c04bc96d97b008357.jpeg

C2E3637B-C22E-43B1-84CD-B4B13305D4B6.thumb.jpeg.b4f2109c727ca022cf968f83c259d496.jpeg

1D2524FE-118A-4EFE-83E7-1B342978FE98.jpeg

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 2

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

These have been taken. 

Thank you to everyone who expressed an interest! :) 

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

On 9/13/2020 at 10:09 AM, Merlyn2220 said:

I did that a couple of years ago with 7 in a pot, but holy cow!  14 crammed into a single pot?  :D  Good job!

It was really an experience. Haha I can’t imagine what those would look like if left to grow in the ground and planted as they were in the pot. 

It did make me consider buying these as they restock them and flipping them on eBay for $15 a pop, haha. Only for a moment though... I don’t have that much space left between the palms I actually plan to keep, haha. 

17 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

It was really an experience. Haha I can’t imagine what those would look like if left to grow in the ground and planted as they were in the pot. 

It did make me consider buying these as they restock them and flipping them on eBay for $15 a pop, haha. Only for a moment though... I don’t have that much space left between the palms I actually plan to keep, haha. 

Another option is to plant them as a ground cover.  I've seen that done in a commercial planting in Florida somewhere before.  Looked pretty cool - they don't grow fast and the leaves are big and stay parallel with the ground for a long time.  Of course I wonder what was done with them when they started growing vertical...

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...