IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this what I think it is on my cocos?

NickJames

22 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Will these be future coconuts!?

or will it simply fall off this winter :(

D5FA37AA-9B71-4A9B-B5F2-D9E97F2F4E2E.jpeg

F6F04BA1-0938-4673-A8A9-370C821547F5.jpeg

Whoah!!!

Congratulations!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

@NickJames Wow!  That was fast!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

@NickJames. Can we get a full monty shot of that beautiful palm?

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Follow up question: is it uncommon to have this happen only six months in the ground?

From seed and/or seedling?

No.

Maybe next year you might get coconuts on that beauty! We have a La Nina that is expected to last through winter and into spring next year. La Ninas mean generally warmer and dryer winters across the southern US. That doesnt mean we wont get arctic blasts though. Hopefully it will fruit next year!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Looks like you have something in common with Shaquille O'Neal.  :-)

In this morning's Orlando Sentinel, there is a picture of Shaq's home in Isleworth which is for sale.  Right on the front of the Local section there is the attached picture.

Looks like two very tall coconut palms right in front of this home located on the South side of Orlando.  And, it looks like they have been there for a while although someone has over-trimmed them a bit...

Shaq's Home For Sale.jpg

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

12 hours ago, NickJames said:

You just killed my dreams. LOL.

I don’t think that’s possible. You probably already know I was just messing around a bit but yes, you will see those pop and fizzle out until the plant becomes older and more stable. Of course the weather will play a big part, but could you see coconuts hanging from your palm tree in the future? Sure, it’s possible but I know you are already aware that you are around 100 miles from the “safe zone” for coconuts. Kill your dreams? No way. Looking at your yard (and picture) we can see that you are relatively young and excited about growing cool palms that are not typical for your area. Some people might go by your house and say “Look at this guy, growing coconuts in Daytona? He’s dreaming.” But at least you’re making your place look good and trying different things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I don’t think that’s possible. You probably already know I was just messing around a bit but yes, you will see those pop and fizzle out until the plant becomes older and more stable. Of course the weather will play a big part, but could you see coconuts hanging from your palm tree in the future? Sure, it’s possible but I know you are already aware that you are around 100 miles from the “safe zone” for coconuts. Kill your dreams? No way. Looking at your yard (and picture) we can see that you are relatively young and excited about growing cool palms that are not typical for your area. Some people might go by your house and say “Look at this guy, growing coconuts in Daytona? He’s dreaming.” But at least you’re making your place look good and trying different things.

I think other than you guys here, most neighbors might drive by and call every pinnate palm I have a queen palm ;)

I am worried about the few neighbors with “professional” landscapers who’ve planted a. Merrilli or w. Bifurcata because of their common availability around here now (such as my immediate neighbor). They have two a. Merrilli randomly out along the back property line. The landscaper told them “they’re just as cold tolerant as anything he has” referring to me and gesturing toward my sabal palmetto! LOL!

Your coconut may make a couple of "dry runs" before actually setting seeds. It will take two years from flowering to ripe fruit. Do coconuts produce viable fruit up in Daytona Beach? If you have to protect it every winter it might not. My experience with my coconut palms is they appear to abort 10 fruit for every one that grows to maturity.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

Looks like you have something in common with Shaquille O'Neal.  :-)

In this morning's Orlando Sentinel, there is a picture of Shaq's home in Isleworth which is for sale.  Right on the front of the Local section there is the attached picture.

Looks like two very tall coconut palms right in front of this home located on the South side of Orlando.  And, it looks like they have been there for a while although someone has over-trimmed them a bit...

Shaq's Home For Sale.jpg

They look like majesty palms to me

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, NickJames said:

Took this just now!

49EC4430-0249-4098-8264-FC84D21C3868.jpeg

How old is this beauty? It is beautiful and healthy cocos. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 10:19 PM, Fi Melbourne said:

How old is this beauty? It is beautiful and healthy cocos. 

I’m not sure. I bought it at Titusville Lowe’s in February and planted shortly thereafter. It was in a 15 gallon container. 

• Like 1