• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease. 

• Adam Halford
      By Adam Halford
      Hi I was wondering if anyone can help. I grew some washingtonia robustas from seed and were all doing really well.. I’m using a mix of fine seed compost, coco cour and perlite. All were doing fine but over the last couple of weeks they are now shrivelling and loosing colour. They are around 18 months old and have been kept in a conservatory during winter and outside in the summer in the UK. I repotted yesterday as roots were coming out the pots. Any help would be appreciated 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      One of my Washingtonia robusta seedlings leaned sideways a bit when it was in the community pot and started to grow that way. I potted it up with the base of the small trunk pointing up. Will this seedling straighten out? 

• SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      So I have a few joannis and spiralis seedlings that are doing quite well in some one gallon pots, bit now a few have roots coming out of the bottom. Should I transplant them to a deeper pot? If so, I'd really appreciate it if someone could link me a site where I can order the deep black square pots I see many growers using on here.
    • Jono Miller
      By Jono Miller
      Regarding the length of roots on cabbage palms, Wade and Langdon cite Sargent (1933) as follows: 
      ". . .with a short pointed knob-like under ground stem surrounded by a dense mass of contorted roots often 4° or 5° in diameter and 5° or 6° deep, from which tough light orange-colored roots often nearly 1/2' in diameter penetrate the soil for a distance of 15° or 20°, "   On the other hand,  at a palm workshop I was told cabbage palms can have roots 40 or 50 feet long.   My own observations on eroding beaches and banks suggests 15' or 20' is definitely too short.  See image from Cedar Key.   Does anyone have a personal observation or citation for Sabal palmetto root length other than Sargent?