IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Watering for new Dypsis decaryi

PhilippineExpat

My wife and I found this dypsis decaryi and had to have it because I've been wanting one for a long time. I just planted it yesterday after a very heavy rain. The rain happened while we were out buying the palm, so the palm itself didn't get any of the rain. However, all the ground around it is saturated. When we removed it from the pot, all of the soil came out with the roots so we were able to transplant it without disturbing the roots or the soil. The soil it came with drains super well, but the surrounding soil is loam so it holds onto more water. Regarding sunlight, the seller kept it shaded and it's new location is 2/3 sun 1/3 shade. I read that dypsis decaryi prefers dry soil and too much water can kill it, so I'm wondering if I need to water it daily like I normally do after transplanting a palm. I already watered it right after planting and again this morning. Should I just leave it alone from now on or keep watering it daily?

20200908_062138.jpg

20200908_062234.jpg

20200908_062302.jpg

Edited by PhilippineExpat

If the soil is quite damp, no rush to water it. All plants need a bit more water than normal when first moved from pot to ground, but it's true, this palm can be overwatered. Always check the soil before watering. Don't let it dry out completely, but allow the soil to become decidedly less wet before watering.

What I have observed in east Hawaii, the very wet side of the island, is the palms cannot tolerate the regular heavy year-round rains. But that is more about the crown constantly holding water and eventually succumbing to rot. These palms in nature have a wet and a dry season. Once established, it will tolerate periods of dryer soil but the trick is first to get the palm happily established. 

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

36 minutes ago, Kim said:

If the soil is quite damp, no rush to water it. All plants need a bit more water than normal when first moved from pot to ground, but it's true, this palm can be overwatered. Always check the soil before watering. Don't let it dry out completely, but allow the soil to become decidedly less wet before watering.

What I have observed in east Hawaii, the very wet side of the island, is the palms cannot tolerate the regular heavy year-round rains. But that is more about the crown constantly holding water and eventually succumbing to rot. These palms in nature have a wet and a dry season. Once established, it will tolerate periods of dryer soil but the trick is first to get the palm happily established. 

Thanks! Maybe I'll water it just every other day for now and then leave it to its own devices after a couple of weeks. I have a distinct wet/dry season where I live so hopefully I won't have to worry about crown rot. I have 4 months of little to no rain, 2 months of some rain, and 6 months of torrential downpours and typhoons spread apart with dry days/weeks. I actually hope to keep this palm growing slowly because I read a lot of its problems with overwatering happen after it develops a few feet of trunk, so I plan to neglect it as soon as is safe. I also plan to use vietnam rose as a living mulch to soak up some of the rain water around the palm. Another reason I'm doing vietnam rose is it stays really low to the ground so the sun should be able to hit the base of the palm's trunk and dry out any moisture.