IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cactus mix for palms

Coasta

Hello All! 

I have a few palms in the ground and have used black gold cactus mix for the last few years with great results here in arizona. 

Today i was at a nursery and one of the guys working there was surprised I used cactus mix for palms and had never heard of it. 

My question is, is there a difference between cactus mix and palm soil mix and does anyone else use cactus mix for there palms? 

16 minutes ago, Coasta said:

Hello All! 

I have a few palms in the ground and have used black gold cactus mix for the last few years with great results here in arizona. 

Today i was at a nursery and one of the guys working there was surprised I used cactus mix for palms and had never heard of it. 

My question is, is there a difference between cactus mix and palm soil mix and does anyone else use cactus mix for there palms? 

Most brands will sell this mix of soil as "palm, cactus and succulent" soil. It's better than using straight potting soil, but I still mix it 50/50 with Pumice. 

I use the Black and Gold and it leagues better than the Miracle Gro Palm and Cactus mix. 

• Like 1

@PalmXI plan to plant a pygym palm for my neighbor,  so I will look into pumice. Is that supposed to hold water better?

Edited by Coasta

Eb stone palm and citrus all the way. Palm and cactus dries out way to fast for me . I’d be watering everything 2 times a day if I used it . 

• Like 2

@JubaeaMan138 thank you JubaeaMan138. I am interested in something that holds water a little better for my future palms and to mix into existing ones. How long have you been using that product for? 

5 hours ago, Coasta said:

@PalmXI plan to plant a pygym palm for my neighbor,  so I will look into pumice. Is that supposed to hold water better?

Pumice will hold some moisture.. Turface is better however.. The main advantage of both is opening up pore space in the soil, esp. heavy/dense silty clay.. allowing oxygen to move through the soil easier.. Very critical for proper root growth/health.  Pygmys typically do fine in our native stuff w/out adding much of anything.. 

4 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Eb stone palm and citrus all the way. 

Yep, Been using this product, and their Sul-Po-Mag, for years on almost everything, when i don't mix my own stuff i get from Down To Earth.  ..Never had issues w/ fert. burn, and the plants are healthy.. Chemical ferts are trash..

• Like 1

@Silas_Sancona thanks Silas for the reply. I am leaning towards purchasing some of that eb stone palm and citrus mix. I believe there is a local nursery that sells it near me.  Also what is your favorite brand of fertlizier for the valley. 

Speaking of opening space up in the soil. Back in May I planted two washingtonia robustas in palm/cactus mix and recently I stomped on the soil to try and compact it as I thought it is supposed to be compact for stability. Is this something I should not have done and should try to loosen the soil up again. 

37 minutes ago, Coasta said:

@Silas_Sancona thanks Silas for the reply. I am leaning towards purchasing some of that eb stone palm and citrus mix. I believe there is a local nursery that sells it near me.  Also what is your favorite brand of fertlizier for the valley. 

Speaking of opening space up in the soil. Back in May I planted two washingtonia robustas in palm/cactus mix and recently I stomped on the soil to try and compact it as I thought it is supposed to be compact for stability. Is this something I should not have done and should try to loosen the soil up again. 

Noticed a lot of people like AZ best for Fertilizer here when i worked for a couple places.. Not a bad product but i use strictly organics, which would be EB Stone products or those from Down to Earth ( many other products/options out there as well ).. That said, most of my stuff is currently in pots.. Don't fertilize anything in the ground ( no palms honestly ) But i do leave a certain %'age of the duff that is shed from the Mesquite out front to decompose down through the gravel i installed when i landscaped the yard. Was dirt and a litter box for a neighbor's cat herd when i moved in.  I also will allow any trimmings i take from that tree to dry/ shed all the leaves, collect them and use as a mulch around some stuff in pots. Plants seem to love it esp. since foliage from pretty much any Legume-type plant contains lots of Nitrogen, likely other stuff pulled up from deep underground as well.

Wouldn't worry about tamping the soil after you plant something.. Won't compact it enough to cause harm, esp. something like a Washingtonia.. I'll usually water as i plant to help settle soil/ eliminate any potential air pockets as i'm placing back in the planting hole..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit