Tennessee Palms

After How many leaves do sabal Minor seedlings start to produce Split fronds?

Tennessee Palms

Here is my Sabal Minor McCurtain seedling and I'm wondering when can I expect to see split fronds. As you can see the newest spear looks like it will produce a split frond. There is a total of 5 compete leaves and one has actually popped off so there would have been six. 

20200905_180723.jpg

• Like 2

amh

Not an expert, but from my limited experience, it'll be about 3 more before it is truly split.

TexasColdHardyPalms

4-5 more on average and you'll be there. Some split younger than others though. 

• Upvote 3

Chester B

I have a bunch of "McCurtain" Sabals, and all of them have about 7 fronds with no splits at all.  

I have an unknown Sabal minor variety that I would estimate was about 2-3 years old when I got it and it had one or two V Shaped fronds.  It took 3 years in the ground before it produced its first Adult frond.

• Like 2

JLM

Ive wondered the same thing about Sabal palmetto. My oldest palmetto seedling is producing its 3rd leaf since germination back in late spring/early summer. I have the second oldest pushing its second leaf, and the third pushing its first leaf. Im guessing it will be a long time before it starts producing mature fronds.

• Upvote 1

GregVirginia7

Mine has four double leaves and it looks like a more mature frond is peaking out...this palm is a painfully slow grower but maybe it will speed up a bit...moved some stuff on the deck so it can get more sun...I think it’s been in the ground for three years or so and it’s cold hardiness seems really good...I’m happy with it, just wish it would grow faster...B4F18B91-17F2-4107-87B1-00FDD2226A12.thumb.jpeg.0aeedeb9e1a7b2450e78c030870a013c.jpeg

• Like 3

Tennessee Palms
On 9/8/2020 at 9:00 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

4-5 more on average and you'll be there. Some split younger than others though. 

Awesome! I believe I purchased this one from you on Amazon. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      For this post, I want to highlight a wonderful Sabal Minor Mc Curtain specimen. This palm is not in Cincinnati. It is actually east of town in a southern Ohio town on the Ohio river. The grower of this palm has had this palm for a total of six years. It has never had any special protection of any kind. The first picture was taken after a snow in February, 2020. The second picture was taken early this month.  Happy palm growing!

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      Hello all! I live in Cincinnati area and I have a great interest in hardy palms! I myself have planted needle palms and some sabal minor " McCurtain" in my own yard. I also have found some established needle palms planted in a restaurant parking lot. I spoke to the owner of the place and he said that they were planted in about 2009  and never receive winter protection. I am also aware that there is a needle palm that is growing back from the roots at Mt St Joseph University after being cut down by mistake last spring. It apparently was planted in the year 2000 and does not and has never received any special protective measures. I am also aware of some needle palms across the river in Boone county, Kentucky. I know that they are buried in leaves every year and they still appear to struggle much more than the unprotected specimens on the Ohio side of the river. It is probably a colder local microclimate. Attached are the sabal minor mc curtains, and needle palms in my yard, a sabal minor mc curtain seedling in my side yard exposed to all elements as of last December, and the established needle palms at a Cincinnati restaurant as of  late February of this year. Im curious, are there any other Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky palm growers here?

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I looked around southern McCurtain county, Oklahoma and found some palms on street view in Google Maps. It is like an online Easter egg hunt!
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6794725,-94.5471893,3a,32.8y,243.65h,71.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syCHi6aNfxLcuOPDDAdd91Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7219178,-94.5989145,3a,32.8y,109.2h,74.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV1-iKm5SXPOZPQibhyLT_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
      https://www.google.com/maps/@33.722279,-94.5988984,3a,18.9y,251.4h,70.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC_H9vm7hG0idLWmMHTjHwg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656