IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heterospathe califrons

PhilippineExpat

Does anyone have experience with this unusual looking palm? I learned it's endemic here in the Philippines (though from a different island) and endangered. I'm thinking of getting a couple of seedlings which will hopefully be male and female so I can help increase the population a bit. I read they originated in ultramafic soil and from what I can tell that is very poor soil which I hope means they will be easy to grow. Anyways, I'm wondering if people have experience with their hardiness, growth rate, sun requirements, etc. 

I am growing one in my shade house.  It's a slow but steady grower.  I am just using ordinary garden soil ) river sand with rice hull.  I live in the Philippines so THAT helps

• Like 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, Gbarce said:

I am growing one in my shade house.  It's a slow but steady grower.  I am just using ordinary garden soil ) river sand with rice hull.  I live in the Philippines so THAT helps

Oh nice I actually like that it's slow. I'm also!so relieved to hear you are using basic soil :) By the way, where do you get your palms? I live in Cavite and I always have trouble finding palms other than foxtails, Saribus rotundifolius, manila palms, bottle palms, roebeleniis, etc. For my date, oil, and bismarck palms my wife and I had to snag seeds from landscape ones at malls. I've been dying for a Dypsis decaryi but I can't find one anywhere. I've seen a couple of them in people's gardens, so I know someone out there must be selling them.

for the rarer palms, you have to go to the big plant shows that are usually held in Quezon City -usually by the Orchid Society or the Horticultural society.  Not sure when the next one will be though because of the pandemic.  you should join facebook groups like Philippine Plant Exchange -- announcements for shows are always posted in those types of groups.  Facebook groups are also a good place to ask around for hard to find plants -- everyone has been in BUY/SELL mode ever since the pandemic started.

Where do you plan to buy your H. califanoi?  Mine was just given to me by a friend and I'd love to get a couple more to accompany it

• Like 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, Gbarce said:

for the rarer palms, you have to go to the big plant shows that are usually held in Quezon City -usually by the Orchid Society or the Horticultural society.  Not sure when the next one will be though because of the pandemic.  you should join facebook groups like Philippine Plant Exchange -- announcements for shows are always posted in those types of groups.  Facebook groups are also a good place to ask around for hard to find plants -- everyone has been in BUY/SELL mode ever since the pandemic started.

Where do you plan to buy your H. califanoi?  Mine was just given to me by a friend and I'd love to get a couple more to accompany it

Thanks so much for the info! That's really good to know. I won't expect a show anytime soon but I'll definitely keep my eye out. As for where I plan to buy one, I asked Mt. Makiling's plant nursery on Facebook if they sell the seedlings and they said they do, but I am waiting to hear if they have them in stock. I think they are still closed to the public because of the pandemic anyways. In related news, my wife and I were finally able to go out yesterday thanks to our province's lockdown level being lowered to MGCQ, so we were able to travel to Laguna. We went to this place called RBR where there are a bunch of plant shops and you can sometimes find rare plants tucked away in different shops.  This time we were able to find our long desired dypsis decaryi. I know it's not exactly a rare palm around here, but it's at least uncommon and I had a lot of trouble finding one so I consider it a score.

4 hours ago, Gbarce said:

This is my H. califanoi

IMG_5007.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

Very pretty! I love how it has different shades of green. Their leaves actually reminds me of baby coconut leaves.

Edited by PhilippineExpat
  • Like 1

Greg, that’s a very nice Heterospathe! There are some nice palms in this genus and they are great for gardens because most don’t get huge and are attractive and interesting. I’ve got a small Heterospathe garden section. Love em.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii