IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Do any of these pictures look indicative of illness?

chad2468emr

Hi Everyone, 

Now that I've finally repotted, positioned, and had time to familiarize myself with the dozen or so new palms I purchased last week, I'm seeing some fronds that may be indicative of illness. Some were received via ebay and some were purchased from a wholesale nursery. I'm usually REALLY cautious about bringing home anything with funky looking spots on it, but particularly at the wholesaler, I was a bit overwhelmed looking at 30+ species of palms and determining which ones I wanted off of my list, and he pretty much picked the individual specimens out for me. 

I'll share the images of the concerning areas below in-bulk, but it would be really helpful if anyone could let me know if anything looks like something I should be worried about. I've somehow never had many run-ins with illness over the years aside from a fungus issue just once, so I don't have the highest degree of familiarity with what should be cause for concern. If anything DOES look like illness, please let me know how to resolve. Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer! :)

1125325719_ImagefromiOS(17).thumb.jpg.4825a4e914d25036e94e44e5bd5254a6.jpg

1608796597_ImagefromiOS(16).thumb.jpg.d0e5139dd3b5ad2e1451c54c2d4aeb5a.jpg

517236101_ImagefromiOS(15).thumb.jpg.b4f01baf3b74278cfc0a51d69864e238.jpg

1448810259_ImagefromiOS(14).thumb.jpg.1051ce590e293b24eabcf1866a86436c.jpg

1919015430_ImagefromiOS(13).thumb.jpg.57c1c9747caaa406f34d9e455c1aa140.jpg

384517071_ImagefromiOS(12).thumb.jpg.8f85c7b2af705c4110ba1728fd8d0905.jpg

1537796505_ImagefromiOS(11).thumb.jpg.a5ca6093ed6731bac9d7fe3fac0ff7d0.jpg

2001536232_ImagefromiOS(10).thumb.jpg.3fc2ff25b39628471985e97d4fc89ea9.jpg

52516865_ImagefromiOS(9).thumb.jpg.b9f39037354af60bdfc2c904fb260cf4.jpg

447743028_ImagefromiOS(8).thumb.jpg.31910a1b2533bb178fcdebebb0cb9caf.jpg

290651270_ImagefromiOS(7).thumb.jpg.caecab28079b1ce62d3ac2023e0e0e26.jpg

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

I'm assuming the vendor was MB Palms, hopefully he's still in business and doing well!  Regarding your issues, most of them look like generally minor problems with potassium deficiencies or fungal dots that are common in nurseries.  The 2nd and 3rd photos looks like some sunburn in addition to physical damage from a lubber and maybe from transportation.  I'd make sure that you duplicate his sun exposure and watering to start with, especially going into September/October's dry month.  If you are concerned about fungal infections you could use a systemic.  I use Banrot for questionable plants.  A good dose of Osmocote or Nutricote in the pots would probably fix any nutritional problems.

@Merlyn2220 It was MB! He was very accommodating, though he definitely meant business, and he was very nice. The diversity and species I was able to get from him for how little I paid still has me reeling, haha. 

Glad to know that nothing looks too conspicuous! The second and third pictures you mentioned are two archonto’s. The first being purpurea and the latter being cunninghamiana. The purpurea was an eBay palm and despite the seller saying it was kept in full sun, it does seem it burnt. In only 5 or so hours of full sun which surprised me, so I guess shipping had something to do with it too. It’s slowed down on that now though and it seems to be doing fine. Same for the cunninghamiana. 

Before anyone had answered, I got a copper fungicide for everything since there weren’t any that I knew were systemic. Do you think that will suffice, or should I get a systemic one? 

Edited by chad2468emr

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

The pictures look indicative of possible palm addiction manifesting.

Check with your healthcare provider.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

@Merlyn2220 It was MB! He was very accommodating, though he definitely meant business, and he was very nice. The diversity and species I was able to get from him for how little I paid still has me reeling, haha. 

Glad to know that nothing looks too conspicuous! The second and third pictures you mentioned are two archonto’s. The first being purpurea and the latter being cunninghamiana. The purpurea was an eBay palm and despite the seller saying it was kept in full sun, it does seem it burnt. In only 5 or so hours of full sun which surprised me, so I guess shipping had something to do with it too. It’s slowed down on that now though and it seems to be doing fine. Same for the cunninghamiana. 

Before anyone had answered, I got a copper fungicide for everything since there weren’t any that I knew were systemic. Do you think that will suffice, or should I get a systemic one? 

Yes, undoubtedly the best selection and prices around!  It's good to know he's still in business, I haven't been by there in over a year.

Regarding the Archontos, I would definitely not put any shipped plant in full sun, even for a few hours.  If it was bare rooted it's got zero fine roots, and it's been in a box for several days.  I always pot them up and put them in a full shade spot on my back porch, with water and indirect bright light.  After 2-3 days they go out into a dappled shade spot in my nursery area, and after a week or two I'll move them to full sun if it's something like an Archonto.  In the case of Archontos, they tend to burn when they are young anyway, so part shade is a good idea anyway.

I haven't had much issues with fungus, so the only thing I have on hand is the Banrot.  I bought a big package of Banrot 40WP for $80 a few years ago and it's probably a lifetime supply.  :D