IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy and Friends

GregVirginia7

Hi folks...been a while...Palms seem to be doing well in south facing situation in Springfield, Northern Virginia...this Mediterranean Fan gets a burlap corral and top...just gets a string of C-9 lights around the perimeter at ground level to let a little heat rise. Got it at a local garden center. They had it in a greenhouse...had 3 leaves covered in mites...a little in ground situation, some mite killer and it exploded...I think in ground since 2014...C3B37FB8-4041-40FA-AF3F-B47F2CC24751.thumb.jpeg.defc59421b4dcaf5c79db42032b7bb1d.jpegThis Brazoria seems way too far north...it suffered the winter before last but last winter was an easy one...just gets a little burlap tent in the winter, no heat...Maybe I’ll add some C-9’s this winter...will enjoy it while it lasts.F48D9EB5-0133-4E30-9761-9CCAC0968DD3.thumb.jpeg.5a1ed9d770a1c49feea6c4207bff9339.jpegThis McCurtain is the slowest growing thing ever but is finally getting what appears to be a mature leaf...guess it needed several years to sink a root/trunk deep in the ground?5B5DE4A1-16EA-42CC-AD98-10CA60452597.thumb.jpeg.1afa2dc352f01f9dd87bfbab44fe1f57.jpegThis is my baby! In ground since 2014...planted with about a 12” trunk...now 7 feet..and has been through it all...used to be under a Heavy shade large pine tree but we had to cut that down and suddenly it was in full sun...suffered from that a bit but now seems more than happy...the only protection it gets is black frost cloth on the ground to soak up the sun...leaves do really well in the coldest weather...didn’t lose a single leaf all these years to cold...good genetics I guess,5633D72A-4051-4BBA-BEB0-5194A559F2C3.thumb.jpeg.ed9720f7afddc17aa05b54e9cc7a3995.jpegGood old stand-by Needle...just lives on its own and never asks for anything...it’s area is moist compared to the others and it seems to like that...68342D6E-0D86-4C78-96EC-2A4F06B8C503.thumb.jpeg.6c680bb3ef4734138c7b644f27d9e497.jpeg

7EB92FAA-7E47-4CE5-AC34-B73E87397235.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Very nice palms! I'm in an identical climate just north of you and have some of the same species. Thanks for the motivation! It's good to see your are doing well and looking healthy.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Have quite an ideal location with a south face...even in the dead of winter it gets a fair amount of sun. I have some Sabal minors I’ll get in the ground...they just sprouted this spring from seeds collected from my in-laws yard in Bethany, DE...their Sabals have been doing great there for several years now. I’m not going to baby them...there’s three starts...we’ll see how they do. If you’re growing a Sabal Palmetto, I’ll have to give that a try here as well. All the best...

Nice selection! I also have the McCurtain and find it to be quite sluggish. I guess its the nature of the palm but it does prompt me (though in 8b... :bummed:) to protect it through the early years. Do you protect them? It looks like its shielded by the Medi anyway. 

It gets a bit of burlap from the Medi but otherwise nothing else...haven’t noticed any winter damage. I think it’s reached that point where it will begin to produce mature leaves as it’s pushing one out now, so we’ll see how it does. Seems we 7A/B growers don’t have much of a selection but I look at my Trachy and am amazed...we’ve had some really long cold snaps here since 2014, though last winter was very mild...and it’s come through it all beautifully...Just wish we had more to choose from but I’ll be happy with what does well here...Pindos, Chinese Windwills, Dates...all failed but what I have in ground now seem to stand the test of time. Any suggestions outside the usual for my zone? mdsonofthesouth says he’s growing Sabal Palmetto and he’s north of me...maybe I’ll try one of those...All the best...

12 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Have quite an ideal location with a south face...even in the dead of winter it gets a fair amount of sun. I have some Sabal minors I’ll get in the ground...they just sprouted this spring from seeds collected from my in-laws yard in Bethany, DE...their Sabals have been doing great there for several years now. I’m not going to baby them...there’s three starts...we’ll see how they do. If you’re growing a Sabal Palmetto, I’ll have to give that a try here as well. All the best...

I currently do have a palmetto from SE NC that's up against the house but doesn't have a trunk so essentially a glorified sabal minor at this point. It's full pinnate and requires zero protection right now. But hoping being of a hardy population and nestled in a corner between my stone chimney and the concrete foundation on a very sunny non freezing side of the house it'll work. Thankfully where it is planted it gets A LOT of sun and between that and the warmth of the house the ground doesn't freeze in the winter at all. I'll try and take some pictures of it tomorrow if I remember, but it's buried under the the trachycarpus and chamaerops.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Not sure I have a spot that ideal but the front of my home gets nothing but south facing sun in the winter and may be a similar situation...would like to see some pictures of the group...