IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Carpoxylon Update

MattyB

You may recall that my Carpoxylon had a severe case of pink rot last winter.  I thought I was gonna lose it, but it's actually pulled through.  There is a hollow spot in the woody trunk that I assume will eventually open up and be unsightly, but the growing point is up and away from any of that funkiness.  Since I cut down a foxtail that was above it (foxtail was riddled with pink rot) the Carpoxylon has thrown a few leaves that are much more compact and recurved due to the extra sunlight.  It's looking pretty darn good and doing a visible swelling of the base.  Here's the visuals....

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

• Like 21
  • Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

19 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Carpoxylon has thrown a few leaves that are much more compact and recurved due to the extra sunlight

It's on a well sheltered spot. Is it North facing, filtered/half day sun?

Greetings, Luís

4 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

It's on a well sheltered spot. Is it North facing, filtered/half day sun?

lzorrito, it's a southwest exposure with some full sun, but mostly filtered.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Oh yeah, that’s looking mighty fine regardless of location. Personally for me, this juvenile period is when this palm is most attractive. Being able to enjoy the unique crown shaft at eye level. Mine have grown waaayyyy beyond and up.up and away.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

14 minutes ago, MattyB said:

lzorrito, it's a southwest exposure with some full sun, but mostly filtered.

Thanks Matty!

Humm...if it stands your occasional dry heat. I'm thinking maybe it will grow out here. Have been asked once or twice I if didn't want to try Carpoxylon. But...not convinced yet.

Greetings, Luís

• 2 weeks later...

Friggin Awesome dude! Keep it up!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 year later...