Josue Diaz

Any palm lovers on this site?

Josue Diaz

Happy Tuesday everyone! Anyone love palms on this site? 

**yes, there's an entire house behind all that**

20200901_184600.thumb.jpg.b3de95d6a855127353acb1657307a95f.jpg

20200901_184634.thumb.jpg.f5c8c90d276b135480b3160220b15906.jpg

• Like 23
  • Upvote 3

Palmfarmer

Amazing! is this in Cali or El Salvador? 

DoomsDave

@Josue Diaz obscenities have been screamed.

• Like 1

Josue Diaz

This is Fresno, CA! ;)

43 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Amazing! is this in Cali or El Salvador? 

• Like 2

DoomsDave

Josue's garden rocks.

Rock on!

Josue Diaz
1 minute ago, DoomsDave said:

Josue's garden rocks.

Rock on!

I summon my inner DoomsDave when i garden. :P

I have TONS of those frankenbrahea btw. They're coming out my ears. I'm giving them away to neighbors and friends as fast as i can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

NOT A TA

Garden looks great but I really liked the architectural woodwork on the front of the house. I hope it will be visible again as the garden matures, it's a nice feature.

• Like 1

DoomsDave
5 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I summon my inner DoomsDave when i garden. :P

I have TONS of those frankenbrahea btw. They're coming out my ears. I'm giving them away to neighbors and friends as fast as i can.

In individual pots, I hope . . .

Josue Diaz
10 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Garden looks great but I really liked the architectural woodwork on the front of the house. I hope it will be visible again as the garden matures, it's a nice feature.

Yeah, once the Phoenix hybrids grow up the front of the house will be visible. At the rate they're growing, i give them 3 years to get above the roofline. We do like the privacy on the porch though, as we're on a rather busy street. 

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

In individual pots, I hope . . .

Yes... and no. Also everywhere in the garden, as squirrels had their way with a batch of them.

• Like 1

DoomsDave
7 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Yeah, once the Phoenix hybrids grow up the front of the house will be visible. At the rate they're growing, i give them 3 years to get above the roofline. We do like the privacy on the porch though, as we're on a rather busy street. 

Yes... and no. Also everywhere in the garden, as squirrels had their way with a batch of them.

Do what you can to get them into individual pots.

If you want more, ask!

YOU'RE WEESH' ISS MY COMMAND SIRE!

• Like 1

sipalms

Nice job Josue. Do you have any updates of the brahea 'whare house' out the back? 

The Gerg

Lookin’ good. That is a J. caffra I see correct? I’m envious. I want one. I had a seedling but I killed it. I’m really good at killing tiny seedlings. I think I over water. I digress, again, great work.

• Like 1

ChrisA

What a great bunch of palms! I love it!

Josue Diaz
9 hours ago, sipalms said:

Nice job Josue. Do you have any updates of the brahea 'whare house' out the back? 

I'll take some pics to share later today! 

9 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Lookin’ good. That is a J. caffra I see correct? I’m envious. I want one. I had a seedling but I killed it. I’m really good at killing tiny seedlings. I think I over water. I digress, again, great work.

Yeah! that's a jubaeopsis which was seed grown by the late George Sparkman. It's one of my favorite palms. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TomJ

Looks great.

Really filled in nicely.

Post some time lapse pictures.

I remember when that was an empty canvas.

• Like 1

Chester B

Isn't that what everyone's front yard should look like?:yay:

Nice job.

• Like 1

Hillizard
11 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Yeah! that's a jubaeopsis which was seed grown by the late George Sparkman. It's one of my favorite palms. 

Josue: Awesome views of your personal palmetum! Hope your water bills weren't too high during our most recent heatwave; mine certainly went up! I've still not decided exactly where to plant my pot-bound Jubaeopsis yet. If I could expect it to do as well as yours I'd not hesitate to put it in the ground! ;)

• Upvote 1

freakypalmguy

Very nice, I would have guessed on the coast somewhere:greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Eastendr

Stunning!

One day I hope to have a yard half as nice.

• Like 1

Briank

I used to live in Fresno.  Graduated State in 07.   Back in San Diego now.   We share not wanting to be seen ! 

BFE418D8-EB22-408A-AD38-D6D055482D62.jpeg

• Like 6

The Palm Nut
7 hours ago, Chester B said:

Isn't that what everyone's front yard should look like?:yay:

Nice job.

Yes 

IMAG0133.jpg

• Like 5

Dimovi

Yes! In fact I was inspired by your yard and I am going for a similar look.
I've only lived in my house for two years now, but one day I hope it will look like yours :)

IMG_20200902_104958.thumb.jpg.8f7c12470824d9f16132a3d0837d96a2.jpg

• Like 4

Josue Diaz
14 hours ago, Briank said:

I used to live in Fresno.  Graduated State in 07.   Back in San Diego now.   We share not wanting to be seen ! 

BFE418D8-EB22-408A-AD38-D6D055482D62.jpeg

Heyyyy nice to meet a fellow (one time) Fresnan! and i totally love the yard you've set up.  I wish i could grow foxtails like that.

3 hours ago, Dimovi said:

Yes! In fact I was inspired by your yard and I am going for a similar look.
I've only lived in my house for two years now, but one day I hope it will look like yours :)

IMG_20200902_104958.thumb.jpg.8f7c12470824d9f16132a3d0837d96a2.jpg

That looks amazing! what are those palms in the middle of the lawn?

Phoenikakias

Your garden is wonderful, but it lacks some bananas! They can be combined perfectly with palms.

20200903_122703.thumb.jpg.466fe75a666a36f129641a64acdf0ab9.jpg

• Like 3

Briank

Have you considered adding like Rainbow Euc or Schizolobium parahyba? They are Rockets and will get above everything fast.  Add some Tropical Trees to go with everything.   I also have a Pink Cedar that grew fast to add height and Color.    

The foxtails where the first thing I planted, to go with King Palms and Royals.   Have 2 bizzys in there you can’t see. Lol.   A lot of big stuff for small yard.   I over planted and just adjust as you go.  Get canopy going then can start planted slower growing stuff.    But I have mix of cool big leaf things.  

You should definitely add my fav Palm Brahea Decumbens.  They love heat and are awesome small Palm with great color.  I planted along my walk ways.    Keep up the good work. 

083FB0E5-EF72-4303-83BA-2FED285175E2.jpeg

453614C8-91F6-42A0-A6F1-0CBFCF71024C.jpeg

• Like 2

Dimovi
4 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

That looks amazing! what are those palms in the middle of the lawn?

There is a Butia partially showing, a Texas Sabal on the right side, a few robustas and some other ones out of the frame. I am limited to 8b/9a palms and I pretty much have most if not all that will survive here.

• Like 1

Josue Diaz
23 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Your garden is wonderful, but it lacks some bananas! They can be combined perfectly with palms.

20200903_122703.thumb.jpg.466fe75a666a36f129641a64acdf0ab9.jpg

I have a couple of bananas, but i prefer Strelitzia because the leaves don't tear as easily as bananas. 

20 hours ago, Briank said:

Have you considered adding like Rainbow Euc or Schizolobium parahyba? They are Rockets and will get above everything fast.  Add some Tropical Trees to go with everything.   I also have a Pink Cedar that grew fast to add height and Color.    

The foxtails where the first thing I planted, to go with King Palms and Royals.   Have 2 bizzys in there you can’t see. Lol.   A lot of big stuff for small yard.   I over planted and just adjust as you go.  Get canopy going then can start planted slower growing stuff.    But I have mix of cool big leaf things.  

You should definitely add my fav Palm Brahea Decumbens.  They love heat and are awesome small Palm with great color.  I planted along my walk ways.    Keep up the good work. 

I've stayed away from large trees, but i did add handroanthus impetigunosa & handroanthus umbellata. Both planted as seedlings, so they take a while to have any impact. They're kinda hidden - you can see the umbellata in the top picture alllll the way on the left side next to the bismarkia. It's ties to a wooden stake so you can make it out fairly easily. And yeah! i love decumbens! i have a young one up front, somewhat hidden by the big Aloe striata  

Edited by Josue Diaz

Briank
On 9/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, Josue Diaz said:

I have a couple of bananas, but i prefer Strelitzia because the leaves don't tear as easily as bananas. 

I've stayed away from large trees, but i did add handroanthus impetigunosa & handroanthus umbellata. Both planted as seedlings, so they take a while to have any impact. They're kinda hidden - you can see the umbellata in the top picture alllll the way on the left side next to the bismarkia. It's ties to a wooden stake so you can make it out fairly easily. And yeah! i love decumbens! i have a young one up front, somewhat hidden by the big Aloe striata  

I found a couple True Wash Filifera seedlings I’m gonna try.  I don’t have the Heat you do, but I live the Fat trunk Fan Look.   As much as I hate Robusta, I love Filifera.   Wish I had your heat I’m coastal SD.    Gonna try it anyways lol.   I’m out of Room in Front yard working in the back now.    

• Upvote 1