IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Second garden in Cadiz

Jan Jo

Hi!

I'm in the very lucky position to be able to design and plant a palm garden where I work, about half an hour away from where I live (and where my main palm garden is).. 

Luckily, my workplace is in a town by the coast, the garden is far better protected from both the cold north winter winds and the drying hot easterly winds which are the bane of my main home garden. Plus the soil is far better... 

I've planted a number of palms which I had in pots at home, they've been in the ground for about six months and are already growing faster and looking far better than many of my home palms... 

Thought I'd share a couple of pics... 

IMG_20200901_190527_copy_1000x750.jpg.5247cbded8548f5c08f0e516c9efee85.jpg

From right to left: Dypsis Lutescens, Pritchardia Hildebrandii and a Ravenala (which would look terrible in my home garden due to the wind). 

IMG_20200901_190544_copy_1000x750.jpg.458c1f36f61db0333327b38b30e0d071.jpg

Only palm here is a Chambeyronia Macrocarpa, and a coffee plant to the left... 

IMG_20200901_190612_copy_1000x750.jpg.afe3a7eb3036da9a5bd9ecdf1a35617f.jpg

Hyophorbe verschaffelti and Dyctiosperma Album Rubrum (mango in the middle) 

IMG_20200901_190559_copy_1000x750.jpg.a782d8e08fa8ecf0ae9a0c3cd6e8ddb7.jpg

Wodyetia Bifurcata, growing fast. 

IMG_20200901_190625_copy_1000x750.jpg.cc6752124b08e0691e850376ce00fc02.jpg

Left to right: Veitchia Joannis (without doubt my showcase palm, and impossible in my home garden), Veitchia Arecina (damaged but recovering from drying out following transplant) and Pritchardia Lowreyana. Papaya in the middle has gone crazy! 

IMG_20200901_181322_copy_1000x1333.thumb.jpg.444c87eabf26be9a5bf862733dbd546f.jpg

IMG_20200901_181302_copy_1000x1333.thumb.jpg.5a1530a6e3954ab410fe69df0337390d.jpg

Two more of the Veitchia Joannis (which I picked up a year ago), fingers crossed it will do ok in this microclimate, it's protected by the south facing wall, gets full day sun... Here's hoping, let's see how it goes...

Hope you like the pics ;)

J

IMG_20200901_181249_copy_1000x1333.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

mango in the middle

Has a nice ring to it...

Very nice plantings and everything looks great!  Keep up the good work - I'm sure they'll continue thrive as long as you're able to care for them.  Perhaps a few are too close to the wall and/or close to each other but it will be a while before that becomes apparent and should provide a nice 'jungle look'.

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Has a nice ring to it...

Very nice plantings and everything looks great!  Keep up the good work - I'm sure they'll continue thrive as long as you're able to care for them.  Perhaps a few are too close to the wall and/or close to each other but it will be a while before that becomes apparent and should provide a nice 'jungle look'.

Jon

Thanks Jon!

No doubt you're right about them being too close together... And I'd like to fit more in, probably any zone pushing seedlings I get my hands on and don't dare plant at home ;)

J

4 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Two more of the Veitchia Joannis (which I picked up a year ago), fingers crossed it will do ok in this microclimate, it's protected by the south facing wall, gets full day sun... Here's hoping, let's see how it goes...

I've also got a protected south facing wall. It's where my H. lagenicaulis, H. verscheffeltii, Latania lontaroides, and others are thriving. Now that I see you are growing Veitchia Joannis...:drool:!!! It makes me wonder...should I?? Keep us updated @Jan Jo!

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

Jan Jo,

congrats to your new garden!!

V. joannis are definitely rocking - all the best with yours!

Here are my ones, now five years from seed...

kim001.thumb.jpg.e7a73aba63cd0bd9d296d2faf3c147c4.jpg

V. arecina, winin, spiralis and metiti are already on the way... :D

Veitchias are definitely worth a try!!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lzorrito said:

I've also got a protected south facing wall. It's where my H. lagenicaulis, H. verscheffeltii, Latania lontaroides, and others are thriving. Now that I see you are growing Veitchia Joannis...:drool:!!! It makes me wonder...should I?? Keep us updated @Jan Jo!

I will definitely keep you posted.. You have H. Lagenicaulis and Latania planted outdoors in Portugal?? And they are thriving??! Wow!!

Would love to see pics if you can direct me to any threads where you have posted them ;) I would have thought bottle palm is more cold tender than Veitchia Joannis... ? 

1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

Jan Jo,

congrats to your new garden!!

V. joannis are definitely rocking - all the best with yours!

Here are my ones, now five years from seed...

kim001.thumb.jpg.e7a73aba63cd0bd9d296d2faf3c147c4.jpg

V. arecina, winin, spiralis and metiti are already on the way... :D

Veitchias are definitely worth a try!!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

Amazing Lars! I'm a big fan of Veitchia... How are you finding Winin, Spiralis and Metiti? Or do you mean they are on their way to you? 

I think I can get hold of seedlings of those three here but assumed they'd be even more tender than Joannis so I wasn't going to try.. But it's tempting... 

J

56 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

You have H. Lagenicaulis and Latania planted outdoors in Portugal?? And they are thriving??! Wow!!

My guess is that the south facing wall provides plenty of heat for them, and he is in the southeast of Portugal, which doesn't look that far away from Cadiz.  I know that the south facing wall adjacent to my Hyophorbe lagenicaulis has kept it alive for over a decade where I wouldn't have expected it to otherwise survive.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

54 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

I will definitely keep you posted.. You have H. Lagenicaulis and Latania planted outdoors in Portugal?? And they are thriving??! Wow!!

Would love to see pics if you can direct me to any threads where you have posted them ;) I would have thought bottle palm is more cold tender than Veitchia Joannis... ? 

Oh, they are not planted yet! Sorry if you understood that...:blush: Still potted, but outside. Their growth rate is surprising me. Also got a H. indica on more exposed spot, and that one is a winer.image.thumb.jpeg.def89136593a727876f781a54b2ba4a7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a80cfc2d294b17afa9d343df3729bd.jpeg

There's a negleted H. Lagenicaulis in the ground near by, unprotected from N and E winter winds. It looks raty but it has survived some winters.

2 minutes ago, Tracy said:

My guess is that the south facing wall provides plenty of heat for them, and he is in the southeast of Portugal, which doesn't look that far away from Cadiz.  I know that the south facing wall adjacent to my Hyophorbe lagenicaulis has kept it alive for over a decade where I wouldn't have expected it to otherwise survive.

That's right, from here 74 miles in a straight line directly to Cadiz, by sea. We both stand on the opposites of Cadiz Bay.

Besides from its N winds protection my pateo is also protected from NE and E cold dry winter winds. It faces from S till W, at sea side and sea level. SW winds are always mild during winter, it brings some heat from the ocean (winter min sea water temp around 58 F).  Of course, the walls tend to stores heat during the day and free it later, I useb it as vantage point. Here, where I live, minimal temp very rarely drops below the lower 40s F.  But, two/three miles inland you get 33/31F, just a 5 minutes drive... I experience that every winter. We may probably say there's a microclimate on my patio.

Btw, the southeast of Portugal, by the sea, where I live, is rated as USDA zone 10B https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-portugal-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

Cadiz is rated as USDA zone 10a https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-spain-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

• Like 4

Greetings, Luís

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

3 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Oh, they are not planted yet! Sorry if you understood that...:blush: Still potted, but outside. Their growth rate is surprising me. Also got a H. indica on more exposed spot, and that one is a winer.image.thumb.jpeg.def89136593a727876f781a54b2ba4a7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a80cfc2d294b17afa9d343df3729bd.jpeg

There's a negleted H. Lagenicaulis in the ground near by, unprotected from N and E winter winds. It looks raty but it has survived some winters.

That's right, from here 74 miles in a straight line directly to Cadiz, by sea. We both stand on the opposites of Cadiz Bay.

Besides from its N winds protection my pateo is also protected from NE and E cold dry winter winds. It faces from S till W, at sea side and sea level. SW winds are always mild during winter, it brings some heat from the ocean (winter min sea water temp around 58 F).  Of course, the walls tend to stores heat during the day and free it later, I useb it as vantage point. Here, where I live, minimal temp very rarely drops below the lower 40s F.  But, two/three miles inland you get 33/31F, just a 5 minutes drive... I experience that every winter. We may probably say there's a microclimate on my patio.

Btw, the southeast of Portugal, by the sea, where I live, is rated as USDA zone 10B https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-portugal-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

Cadiz is rated as USDA zone 10a https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-spain-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

Wow! I really thought from reading the Palms for California guide that Hyophorbe lagenicaulis was eventually doomed in our (Iberian) / your (Californian) climates.. But I see I was wrong. I must be more daring now I have a decent microclimate! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan Jo said:

Wow! I really thought from reading the Palms for California guide that Hyophorbe lagenicaulis was eventually doomed in our (Iberian) / your (Californian) climates.. But I see I was wrong. I must be more daring now I have a decent microclimate! 

That's what I'm doing now, daring and pushing it till the limit of survivability. I want to know the edge here with my growth conditions.

When I realized that my Archontophoenix maxima and A. alexandrae just loved it here and were pulling spears all year round I decided to take a step further and dared to grow some "on the edge" palms. I now got like some 4 different growth spots on my patio, full sun; half sun; filtered; dry side; wet side; under canopy; no canopy, and I'm learning how to use them and what I grow on each one.

I'm now growing (trying :huh:) from seedling: Areca trianda; Burretiokentia koghiensis; Dypsis arenarum (from seed); D. dransfieldii; D. fibrosa; D. lanceolota; D. carlsmithii; Dictyosperma album rubrum; Veitchia spiralis, and some others that "by the book" are very marginal palms around here and also there in Cadiz.

This will be their first winter here:crying:...we'll see!  I´ll keep you updated. 

I'm also waiting for Gaussia maya,; G. gomez-pompae, and Carpentaria acuminata.

That spot where you planted Veitchia joannis seems very promising indeed. Do dare!!

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 2

Greetings, Luís

14 hours ago, lzorrito said:

That's what I'm doing now, daring and pushing it till the limit of survivability. I want to know the edge here with my growth conditions.

I think it's worth a try in that while the general climate there may not be ideal for the species you outlined, your micro-climate close to the Ocean and orientation to prevailing cold winter winds, may be what is needed for them to survive in the longer term.  Give them a little protection while small and let them grow into more exposure.  If it weren't for some of the early zone pushers in every region, we wouldn't really know some of the marginal plants that can grow in our climates.  It's your opportunity to demonstrate what can survive in the coastal Southeastern Portugal micro-climate.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

34 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I think it's worth a try in that while the general climate there may not be ideal for the species you outlined, your micro-climate close to the Ocean and orientation to prevailing cold winter winds, may be what is needed for them to survive in the longer term.  Give them a little protection while small and let them grow into more exposure.  If it weren't for some of the early zone pushers in every region, we wouldn't really know some of the marginal plants that can grow in our climates.  It's your opportunity to demonstrate what can survive in the coastal Southeastern Portugal micro-climate.

Thank you for your support! People here just want to grow cold hardy low maintenance palm trees...

The seedlings are on South facing warm and wind protected spot, surrounded by walls. They are under a double canopy, from a pergola, and the larger palms canopy. They also take some soft filtered morning sun.

IMG_20200903_150713.thumb.jpg.ba3e9549a2b496bc167bff7d783b7e77.jpg

The seedlings are under this canopy.

IMG_20200903_152604.thumb.jpg.288a53cf5865393604b4790ffb6a5dbb.jpg

The spot.

@Jan Jo, sorry for this kind of thread takeover...but I think it has a lot to do the topic.

• Like 3

Greetings, Luís

Great topic, very interesting.

Will Pritchardia pacifica grow there? And what about Carpentaria acuminata?

Edited by Antti
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Antti said:

Pritchardia pacifica should be almost impossible here due to low air moisture, but on the right spot...who knows??

I'm going to try Carpentaria acuminata. Waiting for it in a week time. We'll see:huh:. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Greetings, Luís

On 9/3/2020 at 12:06 AM, lzorrito said:

When I realized that my Archontophoenix maxima and A. alexandrae just loved it here and were pulling spears all year round I decided to take a step further and dared to grow some "on the edge" palms. I now got like some 4 different growth spots on my patio, full sun; half sun; filtered; dry side; wet side; under canopy; no canopy, and I'm learning how to use them and what I grow on each one.

I'm now growing (trying :huh:) from seedling: Areca trianda; Burretiokentia koghiensis; Dypsis arenarum (from seed); D. dransfieldii; D. fibrosa; D. lanceolota; D. carlsmithii; Dictyosperma album rubrum; Veitchia spiralis, and some others that "by the book" are very marginal palms around here and also there in Cadiz.

This will be their first winter here:crying:...we'll see!  I´ll keep you updated. 

I'm also waiting for Gaussia maya,; G. gomez-pompae, and Carpentaria acuminata.

That spot where you planted Veitchia joannis seems very promising indeed. Do dare!!

Do keep me/us updated on those seedlings, would be very interested to hear how they do.. From what you say, you have an even better climate than mine! 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:33 PM, lzorrito said:

Thank you for your support! People here just want to grow cold hardy low maintenance palm trees...

The seedlings are on South facing warm and wind protected spot, surrounded by walls. They are under a double canopy, from a pergola, and the larger palms canopy. They also take some soft filtered morning sun.

IMG_20200903_150713.thumb.jpg.ba3e9549a2b496bc167bff7d783b7e77.jpg

The seedlings are under this canopy.

IMG_20200903_152604.thumb.jpg.288a53cf5865393604b4790ffb6a5dbb.jpg

The spot.

@Jan Jo, sorry for this kind of thread takeover...but I think it has a lot to do the topic.

Nothing to apologize for, it's very relevant to the topic! :)You have a great selection, too... 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Antti said:

I have Pritchardia Thurstonii in a pot (where I live - no microclimate), but I bring it in over the coldest 3 months... I've just germinated a couple of Pritchardia Pacifica, maybe I'll try to prepare one for my new microclimate! But I'm very doubtful... I'll let you know! 

• Like 1

Do keep me/us updated on those seedlings, would be very interested to hear how they do.. From what you say, you have an even better climate than mine! 

I will for sure keep you updated.

My climate is a little bit milder than yours, just not so dry (moisture) and so windy. Our trouble winds range are quite the same. Hot dry N, NE, and E Summer winds, and cold dry in Winter. But you suffer much more influence from the "meseta ibérica" and inland Andaluzia dry winds then we here. And also wind intensity there in Cadiz is much stronger than here. I've experienced that a few times...

I think our (mine and yours) main problem are the dry winds that seriously lower air moisture to forbidden levels in just a blink of an eye. On the last 3 weeks we are experiencing some severe hot dry conditions here due to N and NE winds, and probably you too. Minimal 20ºC/68F, Max 36ºC/97F, low air moisture...dry conditions, around 30% moisture. I've been handling this temps since early May, but with acceptable air moisture, around 70%. But the last 3 weeks... My Caryota maxima Himalaya"; L. chiniensis; A. cunninghamiana (they have some troubles handling sun here); and even P. elegans, got severe sunburn and stress. Others, like Pritchardia minor, even in shade, also show dry heat leaf issues and stress, although I keep them constantly moist.

I've been taking take my notes on my palms performance during dry heat , (my main climate issue) episodes in order to assess their correct growth conditions here.

Nothing to apologize for, it's very relevant to the topic! :)You have a great selection, too... 

Thank you! Keep us update on both your gardens!

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

On 9/3/2020 at 12:47 AM, Jan Jo said:

Amazing Lars! I'm a big fan of Veitchia... How are you finding Winin, Spiralis and Metiti? Or do you mean they are on their way to you? 

I think I can get hold of seedlings of those three here but assumed they'd be even more tender than Joannis so I wasn't going to try.. But it's tempting... 

J

Jan Jo,

I am sorry for the late response! 

Well, @realarch inspired me to order seeds of V. metiti...

vm01.thumb.jpg.db35d6fe948e0e4d3c9632a2c2d7305e.jpg

...planted out last fall and are almost exploding.

Then I got hooked and ordered seeds last winter of...

va01.thumb.jpg.87a52ec58241833739804de7b196ddbc.jpg

V. arecina - sry for the blocks, but the spot is a bit exposed and we are now in the 

middle of the typhoon season - ...

vs01.thumb.jpg.6f3422a4e386478a774c58745d94a788.jpg

...Veitchia spiralis, put in the ground at the same time as V. arecina (five months ago)

and went on growing without a flinch, while...

vw01.thumb.jpg.58e312ea85fdd82b1c379c9bd75bd420.jpg

...V. winin is taking a bit more time but is doing definitely well, too!

Their general speed of growth is just amazing - that is what I meant with "on their way".

I was a bit too excited when posting, so I am sorry for being not clear with my 

former statement. 

best regards (and no hijacking intended) 

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Jan Jo,

I am sorry for the late response! 

Well, @realarch inspired me to order seeds of V. metiti...

vm01.thumb.jpg.db35d6fe948e0e4d3c9632a2c2d7305e.jpg

...planted out last fall and are almost exploding.

Then I got hooked and ordered seeds last winter of...

va01.thumb.jpg.87a52ec58241833739804de7b196ddbc.jpg

V. arecina - sry for the blocks, but the spot is a bit exposed and we are now in the 

middle of the typhoon season - ...

vs01.thumb.jpg.6f3422a4e386478a774c58745d94a788.jpg

...Veitchia spiralis, put in the ground at the same time as V. arecina (five months ago)

and went on growing without a flinch, while...

vw01.thumb.jpg.58e312ea85fdd82b1c379c9bd75bd420.jpg

...V. winin is taking a bit more time but is doing definitely well, too!

Their general speed of growth is just amazing - that is what I meant with "on their way".

I was a bit too excited when posting, so I am sorry for being not clear with my 

former statement. 

best regards (and no hijacking intended) 

Lars

Niiice :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2021 at 12:11 PM, lzorrito said:

Hi, Jan Jo! How are both your gardens doing? 

Hi Luis! Sorry about the delay in replying.. I have to confess I've been a little disconnected from both my palm gardens over the last couple of months (due to work/COVID concerns taking up all my time and energy) but I'm beginning to have a bit more free time, I spent this weekend working on my home garden (not this thread - this one is where I work) pruning and evaluating winter damage. I've had some winter damage in both gardens, not so much from the absolute cold but from the prolonged cool and loads of rain :(

the hyophorbes (verschaffelti and indica) in particular have hated it.. 

I'll try to post pics when I get a chance ;)

How are your palms after the portuguese winter, Luis? 

J

1 hour ago, Jan Jo said:

Hi Luis! Sorry about the delay in replying.. I have to confess I've been a little disconnected from both my palm gardens over the last couple of months (due to work/COVID concerns taking up all my time and energy) but I'm beginning to have a bit more free time, I spent this weekend working on my home garden (not this thread - this one is where I work) pruning and evaluating winter damage. I've had some winter damage in both gardens, not so much from the absolute cold but from the prolonged cool and loads of rain :(

the hyophorbes (verschaffelti and indica) in particular have hated it.. 

I'll try to post pics when I get a chance ;)

How are your palms after the portuguese winter, Luis? 

J

Hi, Jan! Nice to hear from you!

Also had some winter damage/losses due to the same prolonged cool, really heavy loads of cool rain and some hail. Some of my palms just didn't make it. :(H. lagenicaulis; B. koghiensis; D. fibrosa; P. elegans; D. baronii; R. glauca andrigitra, stem rotted due to excess of cool water on the crown and too wet potting mix, allied with cool temps. It just didn't dry for weeks...and so... fungus welcome:badday:. I should have used a much more open/coarse potting mix that drains much faster (but that means daily summer watering...). 

Both my H. verschaffeltii and indica handled it with some yellowing and minor leaf tip browning, much more on the red one that on the spindle. 

I've been wondering...how is your V. joannis doing? I'm really curious about it. My spiralis is doing fine, and surprising me.

Looking forward for the pics!

Greetings, Luís

On 2/14/2021 at 9:51 PM, lzorrito said:

Hi, Jan! Nice to hear from you!

Also had some winter damage/losses due to the same prolonged cool, really heavy loads of cool rain and some hail. Some of my palms just didn't make it. :(H. lagenicaulis; B. koghiensis; D. fibrosa; P. elegans; D. baronii; R. glauca andrigitra, stem rotted due to excess of cool water on the crown and too wet potting mix, allied with cool temps. It just didn't dry for weeks...and so... fungus welcome:badday:. I should have used a much more open/coarse potting mix that drains much faster (but that means daily summer watering...). 

Both my H. verschaffeltii and indica handled it with some yellowing and minor leaf tip browning, much more on the red one that on the spindle. 

I've been wondering...how is your V. joannis doing? I'm really curious about it. My spiralis is doing fine, and surprising me.

Looking forward for the pics!

Ouch! That's rather a long list of casualties... Sorry to hear that! 

Well, my Veitchia Joannis seems ok, actually... It gets afternoon sun even in the winter, I think that might be one of the reasons it looks happier than my hyophorbe verschaffelti, which doesn't... 

Veitchia Joannis

IMG_20210215_124601_copy_750x1000.jpg.f9c51b8f5a334094727473944979ce78.jpg

IMG_20210215_124546_copy_750x1000.jpg.7a9fe47e7aed3c0e96d519e2e33859cd.jpg

Sad looking Hyophorbe :( (very little winter sun, loads of cool rain) 

IMG_20210215_124610_copy_750x1000.jpg.5217ddd9fb91b47228a260619cfd5e9d.jpg

Let's see how things looks in a couple months... 

Glad your Veitchia Spiralis did well,  I never managed to germinate any of my seeds unfortunately... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Ouch! That's rather a long list of casualties... Sorry to hear that! 

Yes, it really hurts, but those are the so called "growth pains".

Zone pushing, trying and learning, just like adviced on@Tracy's September's post. On these particular species, it was pushing through boundaries in what concerns to moisture and cool conditions of the soil, imo. For what I learned, the issues are all about heavy wet/waterlogged soil, drainage, and air circulation durring long period cool wet conditions. Its influence on the base of the stem did led to rot and/or fungus proliferation, imperceptible at first look.  Others like: D. lanceolota; D. carlsmithii; Dictyosperma album rubrum; V. spiralis; G. maya,; G. gomez-pompae; C. acuminata; or even L. lontaroides (this one without canopy shelter) which are on a more open and coarse potting soil, all did fine an showed winter growth. H. indica is the fastest one here, it has a considerable growth rate, even in winter.

14 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Well, my Veitchia Joannis seems ok, actually... It gets afternoon sun even in the winter, I think that might be one of the reasons it looks happier than my hyophorbe verschaffelti, which doesn't... 

Your V. joannis looks wonderful! I'm amazed with its winter performance. Congrats! It's certainly a go palm around here. I'll sure give it a try.  

My V. spiralis, under heavy canopy protection, half day filtered light, seems to do quite well:IMG_20210216_114713.thumb.jpg.829b6f3810b11733095dde769ae946c2.jpg

14 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Sad looking Hyophorbe :( (very little winter sun, loads of cool rain) 

Let's see how things looks in a couple months... 

Glad your Veitchia Spiralis did well,  I never managed to germinate any of my seeds unfortunately... 

You are right, sun exposure, that's the main need for Hyophorbe sps during our winter. Yours will surely recover fast as weather is warming up and the more sun it gets on this early spring, you'll see. Seed germination...keep trying. For me it's the same deal. Some do perform well and sprout...others...never mind. But I'm always trying. 

Mine takes full sun (south facing) from 9:00 am until 15.00pm during winter, doing fine and thriving:

IMG_20210216_110350.thumb.jpg.d643ddcec5eca1c7c4b797518e4b3019.jpg

Waiting for your home garden update...!

• Like 2

Greetings, Luís

• 1 month later...

Nice Selection Jan jo! I love the Veitchia, let’s hope they enjoy our climate and thrive now spring is here finally :D

• Like 1

The climates of Portugal and Spain at those latitudes are sensational!

• Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

13 hours ago, bubba said:

The climates of Portugal and Spain at those latitudes are sensational!

Yes, indeed, but from time to time we do get a few nasty cool wet Winters like this last one.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

On 3/22/2021 at 10:09 PM, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Nice Selection Jan jo! I love the Veitchia, let’s hope they enjoy our climate and thrive now spring is here finally :D

Thanks Jamie! 

Your garden is awesome, by the way! 

• Like 1

Having tried Veitchia Joannis, and getting away with it so far, I've decided to go for gold... 

IMG_20210326_140945_copy_750x1000.jpg.293a6bd36fa18b4d74d2bc944d607a28.jpg

IMG_20210326_141000_copy_750x1000.jpg.8236a2b6d7a70b47692274eb94020432.jpg

IMG_20210326_140951_copy_1000x750.jpg.26859325dd7ccab523c62c859c2a8890.jpg

It's the most ideal spot I can find in the garden... South facing wall, in a wind protected city garden, a mile from the coast. It's the only spot that gets early morning and afternoon sun in winter... 

I've had in a pot for about three years, bringing it indoors for the winter until now... Just planted it out today. 

Wish me luck ;)

• Like 5

On 3/26/2021 at 6:41 PM, Jan Jo said:

Having tried Veitchia Joannis, and getting away with it so far, I've decided to go for gold... 

IMG_20210326_140945_copy_750x1000.jpg.293a6bd36fa18b4d74d2bc944d607a28.jpg

IMG_20210326_141000_copy_750x1000.jpg.8236a2b6d7a70b47692274eb94020432.jpg

IMG_20210326_140951_copy_1000x750.jpg.26859325dd7ccab523c62c859c2a8890.jpg

It's the most ideal spot I can find in the garden... South facing wall, in a wind protected city garden, a mile from the coast. It's the only spot that gets early morning and afternoon sun in winter... 

I've had in a pot for about three years, bringing it indoors for the winter until now... Just planted it out today. 

Wish me luck ;)

Good luck! I’ll probably have another go soon just for fun :lol: have you tried red Latania? Growing well for me here last 3 years. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Good luck! I’ll probably have another go soon just for fun :lol: have you tried red Latania? Growing well for me here last 3 years. 

Thanks! I haven't tried red Latania, I've thought about it. I might just be able to pull it off in this garden, but I've kind of run out of space... Will have to wait for a spot to open up. 

I'll check out your thread to see yours... 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have red Latania in a pot. It has been taken into the garage on a few recent nights when there as been doubts over any frost potential, however very slight. This is my first full winter in Portugal so I am being ultra cautious with this palm and some other of the more tender varieties I have.

Its been a very dry winter so far and with drought levels in most of mainland Portugal to some varying degrees. The daytimes have been uniformly sunny and quite mild, occasionally even warm such as they were over the festive and into the New Year period - with 20C seen and a quite sub tropical feel to a few of the cloudier days when humidity was a bit higher.

Since then it has become cooler, but much more pronounced at night than the days with most nights over the last week or so between about 3C and 5C with clear skies and light winds. A couple of nights recently were closer to freezing, staying just above though, with very slight surface frost at ground level .briefly till sunrise and then very rapidly disappearing Hence i have played safe (maybe too cautious) and covered some of the seedling more tender palms and also the 2 metre Foxtail palms that were planted late summer/early autumn.  Not being sure of the local microclimate means that these borderline freezing temperatures could go lower than predicted, so better to be cautious till more experience has been gained and and also how the palms fare with the regime. So far, seems to be ok..

With the prominence of chilly nights the palms have been kept as dry as possible (i.e little watering and in the absence of any rain since last month). Waiting for the nights to become less chilly before relaxing the caution over protecting the more tender palms. Hopefully no stupidly proper cold weather comes this way and February can see a steady path towards the new, long growing season and watering and feeding beginning again in earnestemoticons_smilie.gif.2cc29b0641ef2039c7f2443e5e61a084.gif