Moose

Copernicia hospita (25 years planted) center

20190727_073631(1).jpg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 2

JubaeaMan138

Killer !!!! 

Gonzer

I'll resurrect this thread in 25 years for an update.

• Like 1

Johnny Palmseed

Nice! And an Ae Ae banana in the background! Very cool.

DoomsDave

If that's a bungle in the Jungle, a perfect execution sounds downright godlike . . . .

JubaeaMan138

For some reason I keep picturing Ian andersen jumping around with a flute in moose’s garden 

Moose
18 hours ago, Gonzer said:

I'll resurrect this thread in 25 years for an update.

Thanks, I should be dead by then. Or sitting in a wheelchair drooling on myself :lol:

Gonzer
4 hours ago, Moose said:

Thanks, I should be dead by then. Or sitting in a wheelchair drooling on myself :lol:

You taught me everything I need to know about thread resurrection.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• newtopalmsMD
      By newtopalmsMD
      Here in my MD 7a location I usually add about a foot of oak leaf mulch over the roots of my trachys and sabals for the winter.  I have about 15 (two cubic foot) bags of hardwood mulch that I never put down this summer.  Would it be a good idea to add 3 or 4 inches of this hard wood mulch over the roots of my palms instead of oak leaves?  I also cut down about 10 or so musa basjoo banana tree that I cut down for the winter.  are these banana leaves good for winter mulch to put of the banana stems for the winter?
      Thanks
    • tinman10101
      By tinman10101
      so i thought i would finally start my garden thread that is about 12 years old now just because i am getting back into it now and my kids are growing up and in school so i have more time.  this garden is located in santa clarita, california  (six flags magic mountain) which is a 9b zone but i finally have grown some decent canopy to try to zone push some more tender stuff.  it has snowed here twice since we purchased this house and i documented it early on in this thread when i was still just getting into growing palms and the garden was quite young still (LINK).  In any case, there are so many cool people i have met along the way and it has been great to keep the friendships since this all started with my brother.  he was obsessed with palms and lived in miami and when i purchased a house for the first time, i wanted to landscape it from the usual track housing look and out of a whim, he said why dont you plant palms.   so why not ... and since he already knew some people in socal from the palm world, he introduced me to them on an excursion that would pretty much blow my mind.  i would say i was very fortunate to be introduced to them all.  this was back in 2009.  here are two pics of some very great people from that very amazing day:

... i can tell you coming home after that exhausting day of seeing all the amazing gardens was very depressing.  i had to come home to this LOL:

my wife thought i was crazy and all i could talk about was palm trees.  i told her trust me and give me 10 years LOL, and we could have a slice of paradise in the high desert.  at the end of the day, i told her at least i was addicted to palm trees and not a number of other life's indulgence that could lead to trouble.  LOL.
      fast forward 12 years and here it is today.  the great thing is i think i have achieved my slice of paradise ... the bad is the maintenance.  i will try to document the progress of the yard through the years focusing on growth of each palm.  at the end of the day, a lot of the palms are common but not in my area and not in zone 9b that's for sure.  

cheers
      tin 
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      We finally had a break in the rain today, so I decided to visit Chelsea Physic Garden. It was my first time visiting this place and the main draw for me was obviously the palms. There are some cracking specimens growing in the gardens, as well as quite a few other exotic plants and stuff that I will post.
      Their CIDP isn't anywhere near as big as some of the other London ones, but still a decent size...

Here is their Washingtonia...

It's labelled as 'Filifera', although I can clearly see red/brown on the petiole bases, so it is definitely a Filibusta hybrid. Maybe I should have corrected them haha. It doesn't get much sunlight either in that spot, which is heavily shaded. I think it was planted in 2010 possibly and it is about 20-25 foot tall now. I should have asked a worker about it.

The Butia is probably the best palm in the entire garden...

Lots of spent spathes on this Butia...

The Jubaea Chilensis isn't bad either...

The girth on this Jubaea trunk...

Group shots...

Quite a few Chamaerops on display...

Trachycarpus Wagnerianus...

Cordyline Australis...

Musa Basjoo...

Dicksonia Antarctica...

Opuntia cacti...

Agave Americana...?

Nolina Nelsonii...?

Surprised to see citrus Lemon growing outdoors...

Surprised to see this in one of the glass houses. No idea whether it could be transplanted outdoors at some point?

This is the biggest pepper plant I have ever seen. I'm guessing it is at least 3 years old and has clearly been overwintered.

Unfortunately a lot of the glass houses were shut off, due to the pandemic and 'social distancing'. Some were still open though, thankfully.

One thing I will say, is that this garden has the potential to be better than it is. They could certainly plant a few more palms and exotics outdoors. Perhaps a Brahea Armata for instance, or some more outdoor cacti. Even just a few more Trachy's. I also get the impression they have been understaffed due to the pandemic and thus the general garden maintenance is not on point this year. Basically, it could be a bit better than it was. Lots of weeds growing in places and dead leaves on plants that could be cut back. A very rustic feel, which perhaps is intended.
      Not a bad garden at all though for central London, although the £12 ($17) entry fee is a bit steep, given that everything can be easily seen within 60-90 minutes basically. This isn't a big expansive garden like Kew or Wisley, where you need at least 5-6 hours. This is a relatively small garden in the heart of the city. A place to spend an hour or two on a summer's afternoon. Maybe in other years, when there hasn't been a pandemic, they have had more flowers and plants with more workers maintaining them. I will definitely be back again though, one day, when those palms are much bigger. 
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      I have been growing palms for about 5 years now and I live in a tiny village out in the rural countryside. There is no UHI effect for me out here. My nearest big town, Guildford, is about 3 miles northeast of me. Going by my own records, temperature extremes in recent years have varied from a low of -11C / 12F here in February 2018 to a high of 39C / 103F in both July 2019 and August 2020. 
      Here is a quick tour of some of my exotic collection, starting with a Musa Basjoo, Abyssinian Banana and some Cannas...

Chamaerops Humilis...

Trachycarpus Fortunei and Trachycarpus Nova growing at lightspeed here...

The Washingtonia Filifera didn't even realise that we had an abnormally cold winter followed by the coldest spring on record. Hopefully it kicks on now...

Washingtonia Robusta...

All of my potted Washingtonia's defoliated after being left outdoors all winter long, unprotected. It was a colder than average winter and I had two nights that went down to 20F, as well as a few days that didn't rise above 32F. The pots were frozen solid like blocks of ice on several occasions, however they are ALL pushing new growth again. Unbelievable recovery rates on this species. 

Jubaea Chilensis...

Here is the Butia Odorata. This one has always suffered with some kind of deficiency or sickness, which effects the tips of the fronds. I can't diagnose the exact issue and don't know how to treat it. Thankfully it doesn't stop it growing and doesn't appear to be terminal...

Hopefully my Cycas Revoluta will flush this year, since it didn't last year...

I have a number of Chamaerops Humilis types here...

The CIDP was left outdoors in it's pot all winter, unprotected. Big, strong spear on this one...

The two Queens (Syagrus Romanzoffiana) looked like this a number of months back... 

Here they are today, pushing new growth. Central growing points look strong...

The bigger one has pushed out an entire new frond already, with a second frond just starting to emerge...

The smaller one has a 3 emerging spears...

I have a number of 'outdoor' cacti here too, which sometimes come indoors during winter.

Chamadorea Radicalis...

Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana...

Phoenix Dactylifera planted out...

Rhopalostylis Sapida var. Chatham Island...

Beccariophoenix Alfredii...

Another Abyssinian Banana and Trachycarpus Fortunei...

The Trachycarpus Wagnerianus is coming along nicely...

Yes, those are all tomatoes there... 

I have gone tomato plant crazy this year...

I've got more palms and plants to add, but that will do for now... 
    • MarioPalmCUBA
      By MarioPalmCUBA