IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another, guess the Washingtonia

xoRudy

I have two Washingtonia Palms in the back yard, I'm wondering what type I have. I have a 5 gal, which I'm pretty sure its a Robusta but on some days I think its a Filbusta. I also have a little seedling that I posted a while back, but its put out some new leafs. Filifera, Robusta, or Filbusta? 
First 5 pics are the 5 gal

Last 3 is the seedling

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8736.jpg

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8748.jpg

IMG_8747.jpg

• Like 1

They both look like pure Filifera, or potentially Filifera dominant hybrids AKA Filibusta's. Either way they're very Filifera looking. The petiole bases are completely green for starters and there are lots of fibres as well, both of which are traits of Filifera. I personally don't see any Robusta traits in either specimen. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

They both look like pure Filifera, or potentially Filifera dominant hybrids AKA Filibusta's. Either way they're very Filifera looking. The petiole bases are completely green for starters and there are lots of fibres as well, both of which are traits of Filifera. I personally don't see any Robusta traits in either specimen. 

This.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Filifera. Robusta have purple on the base of the petioles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

Filifera. Robusta have purple on the base of the petioles. 

Don’t the thorns on the 5gal look too aggressive for a filifera? 

3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Wow really? It seems your pretty confident. The thorns or the small triangle on the base of the leaf don’t point towards a robusta? 

13 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

Wow really? It seems your pretty confident. The thorns or the small triangle on the base of the leaf don’t point towards a robusta? 

Just as  @Chester B mentioned, it does have all the Filifera traits. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

They all look like filifera to me, the sheer amount of 'cotton', the shape of the petiole, fewer and less agressive spines and just the overall look.

Sorry, not helping your enquiry about seedlings/small palms. But here's a pic I took today of two rather pure looking Filiferas next to a robusta, in Christchurch. I thought it was helpful to show distinct differences between filifera and robusta.

I bet the original planter thought they all looked the same palm and didn't bother checking the label, or could have been mislabeled, although pure Filifera is very rare here in New Zealand.

It's also been interesting to observe the difference in height over time. I'm not sure it demonstrates whether the filifera grows faster/better in this climate, or whether the two filifera are hogging the nutrients and water off the more petite robusta...?

1111664107_FiliferaandRobusta(1)(Large).thumb.jpg.0f18aa6396601cb682d3098ae29d8cf3.jpg

38456533_FiliferaandRobusta(2)(Large).thumb.jpg.f1399170c6f539ed09ec13a05b92d7b5.jpg

1544861330_FiliferaandRobusta(3)(Large).thumb.jpg.f778756496c240d55042a453b907ce28.jpg

• Like 1

This is definitely more of a filifera, or filibusta dominant fiflifera. The petioles would me more red. It wouldn't have as many hairs if it was a robusta. I went through the same thing a few months ago. Thought I had a robusta, but turns out I had filibusta/filifera.  I finally decided to get rid of the imposter and searched high and low for a more pure robusta. I went to about 7 different home depots/ loews and 5 nurseries until i found one. See below in comparison notice the deep red that goes up towards the fan. I would also measure out how deep the cuts on the fan are as from what I understand on a robusta they don't usually go more then 50 percent cut. 20200510_175815.thumb.jpg.9116476996a9b7b2748edc753ec94de9.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coasta said:

This is definitely more of a filifera, or filibusta dominant fiflifera. The petioles would me more red. It wouldn't have as many hairs if it was a robusta. I went through the same thing a few months ago. Thought I had a robusta, but turns out I had filibusta/filifera.  I finally decided to get rid of the imposter and searched high and low for a more pure robusta. I went to about 7 different home depots/ loews and 5 nurseries until i found one. See below in comparison notice the deep red that goes up towards the fan. I would also measure out how deep the cuts on the fan are as from what I understand on a robusta they don't usually go more then 50 percent cut. 20200510_175815.thumb.jpg.9116476996a9b7b2748edc753ec94de9.jpg

Yeah, I got my Filifera (i guess I can call it that now) at home depot thinking it was a robusta. I bought it when it was very small. I actually wanted a filifera so the mistake works in my favor. After seeing the purple/red truck of your robusta, I can definitely see the difference between our trucks. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

Yeah, I got my Filifera (i guess I can call it that now) at home depot thinking it was a robusta. I bought it when it was very small. I actually wanted a filifera so the mistake works in my favor. After seeing the purple/red truck of your robusta, I can definitely see the difference between our trucks. 

@xoRudy often times the palms are mislabeled. I see it all the time, even at nurseries. They hybridize so easily that its truly hard to get a pure 100 percent robusta. I am glad it worked out in your favor, don't feel bad about it. One thing to keep in mind is if that filifera/filibusta will probably have a pretty girthy trunk and to keep that in mind as it grows near that wall.  I have my robustas almost 3 ft from the wall. 

• Like 2