Jump to content
xoRudy

Another, guess the Washingtonia

Recommended Posts

xoRudy

I have two Washingtonia Palms in the back yard, I'm wondering what type I have. I have a 5 gal, which I'm pretty sure its a Robusta but on some days I think its a Filbusta. I also have a little seedling that I posted a while back, but its put out some new leafs. Filifera, Robusta, or Filbusta? 
First 5 pics are the 5 gal

Last 3 is the seedling

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8736.jpg

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8748.jpg

IMG_8747.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB

My stab is filifera

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

They both look like pure Filifera, or potentially Filifera dominant hybrids AKA Filibusta's. Either way they're very Filifera looking. The petiole bases are completely green for starters and there are lots of fibres as well, both of which are traits of Filifera. I personally don't see any Robusta traits in either specimen. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

They both look like pure Filifera, or potentially Filifera dominant hybrids AKA Filibusta's. Either way they're very Filifera looking. The petiole bases are completely green for starters and there are lots of fibres as well, both of which are traits of Filifera. I personally don't see any Robusta traits in either specimen. 

This.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

Filifera. Robusta have purple on the base of the petioles. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xoRudy
3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

My stab is filifera

For both?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xoRudy
1 hour ago, Chester B said:

Filifera. Robusta have purple on the base of the petioles. 

Don’t the thorns on the 5gal look too aggressive for a filifera? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xoRudy
3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

They both look like pure Filifera, or potentially Filifera dominant hybrids AKA Filibusta's. Either way they're very Filifera looking. The petiole bases are completely green for starters and there are lots of fibres as well, both of which are traits of Filifera. I personally don't see any Robusta traits in either specimen. 

Wow really? It seems your pretty confident. The thorns or the small triangle on the base of the leaf don’t point towards a robusta? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
13 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

Wow really? It seems your pretty confident. The thorns or the small triangle on the base of the leaf don’t point towards a robusta? 

Just as  @Chester B mentioned, it does have all the Filifera traits. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sipalms

They all look like filifera to me, the sheer amount of 'cotton', the shape of the petiole, fewer and less agressive spines and just the overall look.

Sorry, not helping your enquiry about seedlings/small palms. But here's a pic I took today of two rather pure looking Filiferas next to a robusta, in Christchurch. I thought it was helpful to show distinct differences between filifera and robusta.

I bet the original planter thought they all looked the same palm and didn't bother checking the label, or could have been mislabeled, although pure Filifera is very rare here in New Zealand.

It's also been interesting to observe the difference in height over time. I'm not sure it demonstrates whether the filifera grows faster/better in this climate, or whether the two filifera are hogging the nutrients and water off the more petite robusta...?

1111664107_FiliferaandRobusta(1)(Large).thumb.jpg.0f18aa6396601cb682d3098ae29d8cf3.jpg

38456533_FiliferaandRobusta(2)(Large).thumb.jpg.f1399170c6f539ed09ec13a05b92d7b5.jpg

1544861330_FiliferaandRobusta(3)(Large).thumb.jpg.f778756496c240d55042a453b907ce28.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

My fillifera for comparison. Pretty much identical. 
 

CF056069-48C5-4905-B0B4-241BD5520860.jpeg

825B5ED4-11E9-44AC-861A-FEB83293B265.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coasta

This is definitely more of a filifera, or filibusta dominant fiflifera. The petioles would me more red. It wouldn't have as many hairs if it was a robusta. I went through the same thing a few months ago. Thought I had a robusta, but turns out I had filibusta/filifera.  I finally decided to get rid of the imposter and searched high and low for a more pure robusta. I went to about 7 different home depots/ loews and 5 nurseries until i found one. See below in comparison notice the deep red that goes up towards the fan. I would also measure out how deep the cuts on the fan are as from what I understand on a robusta they don't usually go more then 50 percent cut. 20200510_175815.thumb.jpg.9116476996a9b7b2748edc753ec94de9.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xoRudy
3 hours ago, Coasta said:

This is definitely more of a filifera, or filibusta dominant fiflifera. The petioles would me more red. It wouldn't have as many hairs if it was a robusta. I went through the same thing a few months ago. Thought I had a robusta, but turns out I had filibusta/filifera.  I finally decided to get rid of the imposter and searched high and low for a more pure robusta. I went to about 7 different home depots/ loews and 5 nurseries until i found one. See below in comparison notice the deep red that goes up towards the fan. I would also measure out how deep the cuts on the fan are as from what I understand on a robusta they don't usually go more then 50 percent cut. 20200510_175815.thumb.jpg.9116476996a9b7b2748edc753ec94de9.jpg

Yeah, I got my Filifera (i guess I can call it that now) at home depot thinking it was a robusta. I bought it when it was very small. I actually wanted a filifera so the mistake works in my favor. After seeing the purple/red truck of your robusta, I can definitely see the difference between our trucks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coasta
23 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

Yeah, I got my Filifera (i guess I can call it that now) at home depot thinking it was a robusta. I bought it when it was very small. I actually wanted a filifera so the mistake works in my favor. After seeing the purple/red truck of your robusta, I can definitely see the difference between our trucks. 

@xoRudy often times the palms are mislabeled. I see it all the time, even at nurseries. They hybridize so easily that its truly hard to get a pure 100 percent robusta. I am glad it worked out in your favor, don't feel bad about it. One thing to keep in mind is if that filifera/filibusta will probably have a pretty girthy trunk and to keep that in mind as it grows near that wall.  I have my robustas almost 3 ft from the wall. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold

I agree.. its filifera.  Even the thorns dont lend to robusta at all.  Nice !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • McClell.Col829
      By McClell.Col829
      Hello my Fellow Palm Talkers, I purchased a Washy (labeled as a Filifera, imo its a Filibusta) about a month ago from HD, I normally don't get my palms from big name corporations, however this palm was priced very low for its size and for the area I live in, St. George, Utah. It's been in the ground for a month, I've been good about watering it,  and I use fish emulsion fertilizer during planting, in my experience it usually helps reduce transplant shock. Anyways, I'm concerned about a couple of things, however the speckling on the petioles is my main concern. I'm wondering what it may be, and what I can do to treat it or remedy it. Any input, recommendations, thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. I hope everybody is doing as well as they can during these stressful and challenging times! I hope you all stay safe and healthy! God Bless,
       
      Thanks
       
      Colby




    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we returned home from our annual two-week stay at our timeshare on Fort Myers Beach. I took the following photos of the view outside our apt. at sunset on our last night on the beach. Silhouetted against the glowing sky are a coconut and a couple Washingtonias. May everyone's view be as glorious as this.
      Sunset at Ft. Myers Beach, 8-6-2020



    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we returned home from our annual two-week stay at our timeshare on Fort Myers Beach. I took the following photos of the view outside our apt. at sunset on our last night on the beach. Silhouetted against the glowing sky are a coconut and a couple Washingtonias. May everyone's view be as glorious as this.
      Sunset at Ft. Myers Beach, 8-6-2020



    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease. 




    • Eric Thompson
      By Eric Thompson
      Hi folks just put up another video, stop on by if you have a chance. Basic seed germination as well as a look at my largest seed grown washy. 
      https://youtu.be/Cc1HQk7RtPw
×
×
  • Create New...