IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's wrong with my trachy?

NCFM

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

I would say if it doesn't have new growth pushing out, I'd at least cover it with a sheet anytime you think you might get frost.  Wouldn't want that to get in the hole.

If it is growing on well, I'll leave that to the local experts to advise you.

I would be more concerned with rain and moisture in general getting into the hole, as that will promote disease and fungus. Best to keep the central growing point free of all water until it corrects itself. I also think that a few frosts may help kill off the disease or fungus, so I wouldn't really worry about protecting against frost. Just rainfall.   

I reckon it will take a few months to correct itself and growth in general will slow down anyway in the coming weeks/months. So I wouldn't expect to see any new growth or proper fronds emerging until the spring now, given the damage and setback. It might push a few more damaged, distorted and small fronds between now and then, but it should grow out of it and correct itself in due course. I would expect some proper fronds to emerge by April/May.

2 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

I did the same with this one. Like you, I’ve since learned not to do that. Did your palm end up making it?

Are you saying you messed with the roots and tried to loosen them up, prior to planting? If so, you may have your cause nailed down...

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

50 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Not the one I learned on...but my second one has done great...3A438F98-A9BF-446A-98FE-A33D53EE8962.thumb.jpeg.52b8105a99ce83f2793d60e4661b7a1c.jpeg

Ah, sorry to hear it. Your new one does look great, though

18 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

I would be more concerned with rain and moisture in general getting into the hole, as that will promote disease and fungus. Best to keep the central growing point free of all water until it corrects itself. I also think that a few frosts may help kill off the disease or fungus, so I wouldn't really worry about protecting against frost. Just rainfall.   

I reckon it will take a few months to correct itself and growth in general will slow down anyway in the coming weeks/months. So I wouldn't expect to see any new growth or proper fronds emerging until the spring now, given the damage and setback. It might push a few more damaged, distorted and small fronds between now and then, but it should grow out of it and correct itself in due course. I would expect some proper fronds to emerge by April/May.

Are you saying you messed with the roots and tried to loosen them up, prior to planting? If so, you may have your cause nailed down...

I guess I'll be covering it with a tarp every time it rains until spring - lol. If it has any chance of helping I'll do it

Yes, at the time when I planted it I did not know trachies don't like to have their root balls loosened, so I pulled it apart pretty good. Shortly after planting I learned that this is not the thing to do, so I quit doing it. Hopefully that means all the palms I've planted since will never run into this issue. 

Sounds like my rookie mistake may turn out to be fatal... :(

That next frond that's brown will probably pull out too . After that you never know ; it might send out some new growth . I would keep it protected over  the winter because it's small and sickly . 

Keep us posted on its progress . 

Will

• Like 1