• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sprites and Jets.. The rarest mysterious lights in the sky.

Silas_Sancona

Considered adding this in w/a previous thread i'd made about optical phenomena one may see from time to time in the sky but decided this topic deserved it's own thread.

When one watches a passing summer thunderstorm, most are awed ( or frightened ) by the sheer power of Lightning. A few of us, myself included,  have likely witnessed something more mysterious during especially intense storms, especially when viewed from a distance.  Many years ago, i'd read about a class of weather phenomena considered extra unusual and highly suspect... until proven true, by accident. 

Now, the study of what are referred to as Transient Luminous Events, or TLE's are something even casual storm chasers/ photographers set out to capture when filming storms, and scientists are working to unravel. 

Thought i'd pass along this video to help explain some of the most incredible atmospheric phenomena one may have the opportunity to observe.  Have been lucky enough to see " Red Sprites" a few times over storms when i lived in Kansas.. While only lasting a few seconds, if intense enough, they are something i'll never forget having the chance to observe w/ my own eyes..

A big thank you to Veteran Storm Chasers/Photographers Pecos Hank and Paul Smith for putting this together!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Very interesting. I’ve never heard of this phenomena before.

• Like 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Very interesting. I’ve never heard of this phenomena before.

On 8/31/2020 at 2:01 AM, krishnaraoji88 said:

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

On 8/29/2020 at 3:36 PM, sandgroper said:

Fascinating and spectacular,  cheers for posting this mate!

They really are fascinating, esp. when seen in person..  Forgot to add this video NOVA did several years ago.  Did not know that when they occur, the energy produced actually moves down from the upper atmosphere rather than just continuing to move up through it.

While the documented events were done here in the U.S. Plains States, these phenomenon are viewable anywhere where intense storm events occur.. Have seen pictures from local storm chasers/ photographers capturing Sprites over storms both here in AZ, and across the US/Mex. border down in Sonora.  Would be interesting if further research takes those studying to places in South America, Australia, and Tropical Central Africa where really intense/ frequent Thunderstorm activity occurs.

• Like 1

Ive never seen them before. We had plenty of lightning in Florida where I grew up but it was rare to actually have clear skys above. Hawaii rarely gets any lightning and again usually the skies are cloudy all around it so you don't get that perspective.

• Like 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 1 year later...

Ball lightning still technically is an unproven event notwithstanding numerous accounts.

The father of my best friend’s wife experienced it on a commercial airline flight many years ago. After a nearby lightning strike, a glowing ball the size of a basketball floated slowly directly down the aisle of the plane making a hissing sound. It made a loud pop as it exited the rear of the plane.

What you look for is what is looking

Forgot all about this.. anyway, was captured by one of our top storm chasers here in AZ last month during the height of this summer's crazy Monsoon season down in Rio Rico, located north of Nogales, AZ / Sonora, Mex. Have seen some other Sprite / Jet captures from other local photographers taken this summer here as well. Credits and property rights exclusive to Lori Grace Bailey.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, bubba said:

Ball lightning still technically is an unproven event notwithstanding numerous accounts.

The father of my best friend’s wife experienced it on a commercial airline flight many years ago. After a nearby lightning strike, a glowing ball the size of a basketball floated slowly directly down the aisle of the plane making a hissing sound. It made a loud pop as it exited the rear of the plane.

I definitely saw ball lightening in the 80's inside a warehouse along metal rails in Largo FL.  Very strange and cool.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

In Australia, particularly around the North West Queensland towns of Boulia and Winton,  there is a local phenomena known as the 'Min Min Lights'. Not seen them myself, but they well documented and have been observed since late in the 19th century.
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/blogs/dr-karl-need-to-know/2018/08/the-min-min-mystery/

I actually visited this display back in 2015......fantastic presentation !
https://www.boulia.qld.gov.au/tourism/min-min-encounter-tourist-centre
https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/natural-wonders/the-mystery-of-queenslands-eerie-min-min-lights/news-story/b63356761813663c76c5810485415f6d

• Like 1