• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've been under the weather for the better part of a month due to side effects of a 2nd covid vaccine in April following a 1st covid vaccine in March following a bout of Covid-19 the whole month of Nov. The side effects of those triggered attacks of chronic migraines and Meniere's disease that affected my ability to stand and walk a straight line. Last week my husband went out of town to visit the grandkids alone as I am not fit to travel farther than the CVS pharmacy. So, I've been unable to sell or ship any of my bodacious seeds or plants.
      But he's due home later today and I'm hoping to sell again to supplement my limited income and afford an order from Floribunda.
      A few weeks ago on a day I could stand and walk, we paid a visit to the Fort Myers palm parks to see what was going on. Most of the palms looked healthy if a bit scruffy. I believe because of Covid, Ft. Myers Public Works doesn't devote a lot of time to these parks aside from mowing grass. In the past, grounds keepers scrupulously trimmed the palms, including inflorescences and infructescenses. 
      Imagine my surprise when we discovered two Copernicias were seeding profusely:
      1. Copernicia baileyana
      2. Copernicia prunifera
      We found the ground covered with black prunifera seeds and I filled a 13g trash bag with them. The baileyana seeds were just starting to ripen but I managed to find some of those. I am willing to make another collection if enough people are interested in them. I seldom see fresh seeds of either species available anywhere. And if Ft. Myers' groundskeepers ever get back on track, my windfall seeds source will disappear again.
      But before I post topics in the Sale Forum or venture into downtown FM, I want to gauge interest in seeds of these palms. Does anyone want them? How many? As these seeds are the size of large marbles and a chore to clean, I plan to sell them by the piece, which is what most people do here, say $0.20 to $0.25 each + shipping. Anyone interested?
      I got photos of the mother palms below
      Copernicia baileyana, Ft. Myers, FL, 2021

Copernicia prunifera, Ft. Myers, FL, 2021 - Fronds looked silver/blue to me

• Prinpalms
      By Prinpalms
      Cyrtostachys renda, the Red Sealing Wax Palm (also known as the Lipstick Palm) , has the well-deserved reputation of not being able to grow 'en la tierra' in Southern Florida. Notoriously cold-sensitive,
      It can 'brown off' at 40 degrees F. Attached photograph shows a 10-year old plant doing quite well on Miami Beach. It has a western and southern exposure and is shielded from the north. There are two 'tall' trunks , reaching 10 feet (highest point). The palm has managed 46 degrees F with no damage. On the same evening, temperatures 1-2 miles inland (Coral Gables) were 42 degrees.  South Florida has had a long streak (?15+ years) of mild winters. I can testify to knowing of fruiting breadfruit trees 25 feet high a mile from Biscayne Bay (something unthinkable 30 years ago), anecdotal evidence of climate change. Are other enthusiasts having success with the stunning Red Sealing Wax palm in Miami and environs?  Just curious. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Fall/Dry Season is scheduled to start in the next day or so when the first "cold" front will drop night time lows below 70F for the first time in 6+ months and shut off the rainy season spigot. But last weekend my husband and I got a jump on yard maintenance by clearing out 2/3 of our west back yard jungle of containerized palm seedlings and shelving units so we could lay mulch. I also scrubbed and hosed off all shelving units on our dock before relaying them in the jungle. I also plan on evaluating, then repotting my container garden in a lighter mix based on coco coir. That was a lot of work and we were exhausted but the jungle could not go on in its current neglected state. Tonight I started prepping the remaining 1/3 of the west jungle for its remodel.
      Back Yard West Jungle, Cape Coral, FL Fall 2020

Pots of seedlings on shelf unit. Large bifid seedlings are Carpoxylon macrospermum

Ravenea julietiae newly planted in jungle

• Moose
      By Moose
      Arborist wood chip drop recieved yesterday afternoon 

• Moose
      By Moose
      First time I've seen this