• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I was taking photos in the back yard jungle a couple days ago. The following planted/potted palms were ready for their closeups:
      Syagrus schizophylla - The only Syagrus with spines, I think. Very slow growing compared to queens. I grew this specimen from seeds I found under a display at my local orange BB about 10 years ago. It was unfazed by fusarium wilt that destroyed all my queens, mules and Washy.

Ptychosperma sp - Solitary, skinny little palm with huge ruffled leaves. New leaves open bronze-y red, then turn dark green.

Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti - This species cannot tolerate my alkaline soil and dies within weeks of being planted. So, I grew these from seeds started 10 years ago and they live their lives in pots. Those stems are thinner than my forefinger.

• Prinpalms
      By Prinpalms
      Cyrtostachys renda, the Red Sealing Wax Palm (also known as the Lipstick Palm) , has the well-deserved reputation of not being able to grow 'en la tierra' in Southern Florida. Notoriously cold-sensitive,
      It can 'brown off' at 40 degrees F. Attached photograph shows a 10-year old plant doing quite well on Miami Beach. It has a western and southern exposure and is shielded from the north. There are two 'tall' trunks , reaching 10 feet (highest point). The palm has managed 46 degrees F with no damage. On the same evening, temperatures 1-2 miles inland (Coral Gables) were 42 degrees.  South Florida has had a long streak (?15+ years) of mild winters. I can testify to knowing of fruiting breadfruit trees 25 feet high a mile from Biscayne Bay (something unthinkable 30 years ago), anecdotal evidence of climate change. Are other enthusiasts having success with the stunning Red Sealing Wax palm in Miami and environs?  Just curious. 

• ChrisA
      By ChrisA
      Hello Everybody,

Driving back from San Antonio last weekend I was going through El Paso on I-10 and noticed a Taco Cabana. It is well known that this chain prefers to plant palms to add that tropical feel at their restaurant locations, but I was stunned when I examined more closely that there were three good-sized Queen Palms in the front hell-strip!  Google maps shows these as being planted after the terribly cold vortex that slammed the region in February 2011.  These were likely planted either later on in 2011 or in 2012. The December 2012 street view shows very young queen palms which grew greatly by 2015. Looks like they normally have the fronds singed in winter, although winter of 2019/2020 shows the fronds still quite green in February of 2020; and pretty good in 2019.
      I'm not great at detecting the difference between mules and Queen palms. Perhaps someone can verify if they are indeed pure Queens as I suspect?

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7821343,-106.4053766,3a,75y,305.53h,90.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAXhpWujDT-ppUYjQN9krzw!2e0!5s20200201T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

-Chris
    • Moose
      By Moose
      First time I've seen this

• Moose
      By Moose
      Supposed to be fast but not my experience