IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

chocolatethunda

Hi all,

I've bought a few Wodyeta Bifurcata "Foxtail Palm" seedlings and everything seemed to be well but then the fronds color started becoming lighter. It keeps growing and shooting spears but a lighter color.

I am not sure if it is from • Overwatering • Underwatering • Disease • Nutrient deficiency.

If anybody can help out with some tips or approach as to this situation would be greatly appreciated. See pictures below:

IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

On 8/28/2020 at 4:11 PM, NOT A TA said:

Are they getting any full sun?

From 11am to 6pm they are getting full sun

On 8/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, 96720 said:

Looks like maybe overwatering how much water are they getting 

So far they are getting water every other day but now every three days

GET THEM OUT OF DIRECT SUN !!! You're burning them up.

They really don't like direct sun till they're a few years old, then early or late day sun for a couple years, then full sun if you want them in  a full sun permanent place.  Wait till they're taller than you are for full mid day sun.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My first attempt at Wodyeta Bifurcata by seed:

Seeds in 1:1 Perlite and Peatmoss sowed August 8, noticed first germination on September 5th;

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

• Like 3

Good luck :)

I planted 2 seeds 9 months ago... they both germinated but have taken ages to grow. Only about 5cm after 9months.

Photo I took this morning.

1A15B37A-65B0-48B4-AC49-EEDF2F2AFEA7.jpeg

• Like 2

Painfully slow, just like the spear on my foxtail. Taken ages to open up, already pushing a second spear behind it. Starting to wonder if its going to open at all.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 9/10/2020 at 3:04 AM, chocolatethunda said:

My first attempt at Wodyeta Bifurcata by seed:

Seeds in 1:1 Perlite and Peatmoss sowed August 8, noticed first germination on September 5th;

Is that a worm trying to crawl out of the germination box?

worm..PNG

Greetings, Luís

16 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Is that a worm

Hi Luis,

that's funny, no, it's actually where I drew a line to discern younger less ripe seeds to the ones that dried out a bit more.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, chocolatethunda said:

Did you collect those seeds from the ground that had already dried or were they fresh you cleaned the fruit off of? I ask because a month seems very fast for Foxtail germination without delidding and if they were old seed collected from the base of a tree they may have started germinating already before you got them. 

55 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Did you collect those seeds from the ground that had already dried or were they fresh you cleaned the fruit off of? I ask because a month seems very fast for Foxtail germination without delidding and if they were old seed collected from the base of a tree they may have started germinating already before you got them. 

I had two batches of seeds from the same tree @NOT A TA. Ones which were ripe and taken from the tree and some that fell and dried off a bit, cleaned both up and let them soak 2-3 days and afterwards put them in perlite and peatmoss. It's a possibility that they did started germinating.

Does anyone know how to achieve such a cluster? Do you have to plant them together as seedlings once germinated? (Got the image online)
image.png.ea8db3064ebc8ab79f74b0680b7e322e.png

3 minutes ago, chocolatethunda said:

Does anyone know how to achieve such a cluster? Do you have to plant them together as seedlings once germinated? (Got the image online)
image.png.ea8db3064ebc8ab79f74b0680b7e322e.png

Put three seeds (germinated is better as close as possible in a container, that's about it. If you try with three small palms close together they get more like 3 telephone poles rather then the arched look you really want to achieve

• Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

1 minute ago, redant said:

Put three seeds (germinated is better as close as possible in a container, that's about it. If you try with three small palms close together they get more like 3 telephone poles rather then the arched look you really want to achieve

Thnx @redant, will give it a try

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chocolatethunda said:

Hi Luis,

that's funny, no, it's actually where I drew a line to discern younger less ripe seeds to the ones that dried out a bit more.

Ohh!!!  On the photo it really looked like:D!

Keep on the good work...first germination is there, looking fine! Be patient now...

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

2 hours ago, chocolatethunda said:

I had two batches of seeds from the same tree @NOT A TA. Ones which were ripe and taken from the tree and some that fell and dried off a bit, cleaned both up and let them soak 2-3 days and afterwards put them in perlite and peatmoss. It's a possibility that they did started germinating.

That makes sense, expect the fresh ones to take longer, sometimes several months. I have found you can speed up germination of fresh ones by grinding off the end then soaking a week or more till you see the white tip start to pop.

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2020 at 5:07 PM, chocolatethunda said:

Hi @Rickybobby

For germination I used peatmoss & perlite 1:1. 

If your going to grow in pots. See if you can get coco coir and perlite that will help huge for drainage and overall health down the stretch 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So I moved the young seedlings out of direct sun as per @NOT A TA advice, but now I started noticing these browning spots (I'm not sure if this was caused by some rainfall we've been having on the island) and they are kinda spreading at an alarming rate. 

Can anyone help me out identifying what's going on and how to tackle it right away? See below pics:

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

That is sunburn damage! It is the result of overexposure when you first put them out in full sun. I live in a very hot and dry area and see the same symptoms here,all the time.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Thanks to @NOT A TA, He sent me 6 seeds I guess back in March.

I placed them outside, exposed, south facing, in a 15 gal pot and here are are two sprouts:

Even when young their leaflet tips are jagged. Incredible.

1601513386614845916856958918390.jpg

20200928_164249.jpg

16015137507618291058633677830410.jpg

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)