IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yesterday, thanks to International Palm Society members Darold Petty and Steve Klocksiem, I had the chance to visit the late Jack Dane's garden in San Francisco's Cow Hollow neighborhood. Wow! The biggest Juania australis I've seen flanks the back of the house and is paired with a tall, adult, staminate specimen of a Ceroxylon species I couldn't identify; a Livistona fulva rosette grows at the Juania's base. A self-sowing grove of nikau palms, Rhopalostylis sapida, proliferates, while a nice little clump of Laccospadix australasica occupies the shady center of this typically tiny San Francisco back yard, maybe 25ft / 7.6m wide an 40ft / 12.2m deep.

There's a very nice Rhopalostylis baueri and possibly another buried in thereJuania australis San Francisco Jack Dane's garden. A huge, robust Livistona species overtops all the palm trees in the garden, and a Ceroxylon quindiuense (semi-plumose type similar to those from Tenerife, Valle del Cauca in the San Francisco Botanical Garden collected by Garrin Fullington in the late 1970s) is still in a rosette with huge leaves in the shade. Plus, a few Chamaedorea and a couple of Howea forsteriana clumps are scattered about.
Also of interest are the rather tall Cyathea / Sphaeropteris medullaris and S. cooperi tree ferns.
Enjoy the photos!

Any advice on dealing with the alarming scar on the Juania trunk is welcome.

- Jason

1. Juania australis & Livistona fulva
  2. Juania & Ceroxylon (right)
  3. Rhopalostylis sapida (mostly) and Livistona sp. (australis?)
  4. Rhopalostylis seedlings
  5. Ceroxylon sp.—a flowering-age male
  6. Rhopalostylis baueri, R. sapida, and Livistona sp.
  7. Same species as above.
  8. Possible Rhopalostylis baueri next to Archontophoenix cunninghamiana
  9. Juania australis trunk scar with Rhopalostylis baueri at left
  10. Juania australis crown, upward view
  11. Juania trunk again
  12. Juania trunk
  13. Photo posted at right, Rhopalostylis baueri, R. sapida, Livistona, Laccospadix

Rhopalostylis baueri in San Francisco

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

Edited by JasonD
Names added corresponding to photos
  • Like 29
  • Upvote 7

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

@JasonD Thank you for sharing this garden!  It's nice to see some stuff that is gorgeous and just can't be done here.  The scar looks pretty bad.  Hope someone can help you with that.

• Like 5

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks for posting these Jason.  That Juania is the biggest I've seen pics of in a domestic garden.  Hope that scarring isn't a sign of some kind of infection,  never seen something like that before. 

• Like 1

Did the Juania have a tree stake on it at one point? Looks alot like a stake scar I commonly see on trees 

Jason, thanks for taking the time to post photos of such beautiful mature specimens. They looked so healthy too. Gotta love those Nikau palms, so nice to see so many in one garden. I remember visiting Keith Boyer’s garden in Auckland, the number and variety of Nikau were memorable, something I’ll never forget.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for posting. That’s the biggest Juania I’ve seen pictured outside habitat. The scar looks like sunburn. Howeas sometimes get it. Some amazing plants grown at that place. I wish I lived much closer than I do. Pictures often don’t do reality justice.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 8/28/2020 at 7:06 AM, Frond-friend42 said:

Thanks for sharing. Could it be Ceroxylon echinulatum?

That did come to mind—the size and the presentation of the fronds give that impression, somewhat.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

13 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Thanks for posting. That’s the biggest Juania I’ve seen pictured outside habitat. The scar looks like sunburn. Howeas sometimes get it. Some amazing plants grown at that place. I wish I lived much closer than I do. Pictures often don’t do reality justice.

I agree, sunburn was my first impression. I hope that no bacteria or fungi get in there to mess things up.

• Upvote 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

On 8/28/2020 at 2:03 PM, tejas1978 said:

Did the Juania have a tree stake on it at one point? Looks alot like a stake scar I commonly see on trees 

I don't think it was staked and the scar is too high up to have been made by a stake. I'm going with sunburn as the most likely culprit. The scar is on the southwest quadrant, our hottest direction.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

On 8/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, realarch said:

Jason, thanks for taking the time to post photos of such beautiful mature specimens. They looked so healthy too. Gotta love those Nikau palms, so nice to see so many in one garden. I remember visiting Keith Boyer’s garden in Auckland, the number and variety of Nikau were memorable, something I’ll never forget.

Tim

This garden really makes the case for planting nikau in San Francisco. They are too rare here. But they are thirsty, and most people want to be careful with their water budget.

• Like 2

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

2 hours ago, JasonD said:

I agree, sunburn was my first impression. I hope that no bacteria or fungi get in there to mess things up.

Yep. Winter, low sun angle burn. And yes, it’s dangerous as fungus can start. I lost two trunking Hedys this way. 

• Like 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...