Sign in to follow this  
Hagenseedgrowing

World most northern palm island

Hagenseedgrowing

The world most northern palm island in Norway outside the port of Stavanger.

Flor og Fjare is a family business and they had this since 1995

This island is just stunning!!!

https://florogfjare.no/en/

Nonstoppalmehage-1-2048x1365.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Swolte

Amazing, windmill paradise! Did you spot any other species?

DAVEinMB

@Swolte the gallery on their website shows some date palms and tree ferns 

• Like 2

Marco67

Thanks for posting. The garden looks very beautiful. This must be together with western Schotland the most northerly place where you can actually grow palms. Perhaps

it is the gulf stream which makes the climate so mild in that region. The southwestern part of Norway at 58 latitude is even a zone 9a I think. That is quite astonishing.   

Edited by Marco67
  • Like 3

Hagenseedgrowing

Yes, i know they have a few Jubaea Chilensis, Butia Capitata, Phoenix Canariensis (in pots), Brahea Armata, Chamaerops Humilis, Bismarckia Nobilis (in pots)

i agree that this is a sub tropical zone to be this north, i do grow some Trachycarpus and Yoccas in my garden aswell, we did bearly have winter this year.

Ingen beskrivelse er tilgjengelig.Ingen beskrivelse er tilgjengelig.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• climate change virginia
      By climate change virginia
      Hi is there a hardy alternative to bottle palms that can survive in zone 8a I don't care about the leaves the leaves can be pinnate palmate either one is fine. Thanks. 
      Requirements Zone has to be tolerable of 7b or 8a either one is fine (Does NOT have to be feather palm), Has to have a nice amount trunk. Thanks.
      Hey I was wondering if there was a VERY HARDY alternative to the royal palm, queen palm, coconut palm, or foxtail palm that is fast growing, self seeds like a Washingtonia, and can take temps down to 7-10f. Requirements must be pinnate/feather leaf, grows to around 30-50 feet, slim trunk, preferably easy root system, and NON CLUMPING. I prefer feather over fan but that's my opinion all plants are beautiful. One more thing must be able to take 10f with minimal damage. Don't tell me a pindo those things take forever to grow. We are technically zone 7 but we haven't gone below 10f since the artic blast of 2013-2014. Thanks.
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      I went to Kew Gardens for my birthday on Tuesday 22nd September. 
      A great chance to check out the gardens and the fantastic glass houses, of which several were unfortunately closed due to the pandemic. Nonetheless, plenty of palms and exhibits were still on display and in their full glory on a beautiful sunny autumn/fall day here at 51N in southeastern England. The air temperature was around 27C / 80F at the time of visiting. Conditions are very dry at present as we have had no rainfall at all during September so far, and only around 4-5 inches of rain over the past 6 months, since 1st March. 
      Here is a photo-documentation of the gardens, glass houses and the various palms located within. The first of several posts...

Unfortunately some of the attractions and glass houses were closed due to the pandemic, although the main couple were still open. Please excuse me for not naming each palm individually...

Crossing on to the temperate glass house...

More to follow...

• chinandega81
      By chinandega81
      Hello,

As many people know, South Florida has been much warmer than usual over the past few years (summers, winters). Lately there have been many record high lows and high daytime highs. 

I have seen graphs showing a general warming trend in Miami over the past 100 years or so...it averages out to 2 or 3 degrees warmer than what it used to be in the early 1900s.

My question is, do you think this is just because of cyclic patterns of warm and cool periods coinciding with urbanization? Or is this a long term trend? I have read about frosts being somewhat frequent at Fairchild in the 70s and now they are very rare if any even occurr in a winter.

What are your experiences in South Florida regarding this warming?
      I have noticed many bread fruit trees in my neighborhood, but I also know they grow fast so they probably haven't been around for too many years.

Please share your thoughts or experiences in the garden and weather world from South Florida, I would love to hear them.