Jump to content
Moose

Sabal palmetto cv. 'Lisa'

Recommended Posts

Moose

Got this 'Lisa' from Meg a few years back. Flowering for the 2nd time. Robust growth in the last 5 years. Very slow when first planted.

20200827_072036(1).jpg

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jan Jo

Really nice! I think the first time I saw that variety I found it ugly, but it's really grown on me! Does it grow as fast as regular Sabal Palmetto? 

Edited by Jan Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose
13 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

Really nice! I think the first time I saw that variety I found it ugly, but it's really grown on me! Does it grow as fast as regular Sabal Palmetto? 

Not sure, only growing one other Sabal.

Sabal dominguensis. It too sat for about 5 years the erupted with growth. The tall Sabals have to develop a subterranean trunk before elongating.

Both were slower than Bismarckia or Tahina

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose

I was not attracted to this palm initially. Only saw pictures. First time I saw one live was in Tim Blake's yard. So much better seeing it in three dimensional form. I knew I had to have one. Leaves are stiff like a Borassus.

Edited by Moose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jan Jo
3 minutes ago, Moose said:

Not sure, only growing one other Sabal.

Sabal dominguensis. It too sat for about 5 years the erupted with growth. The tall Sabals have to develop a subterranean trunk before elongating.

Both were slower than Bismarckia or Tahina

 

Sounds just like all the Sabals I have. My only chance of getting hold of a Lisa here in Spain would be a seedling.. It would take so long! :(

3 minutes ago, Moose said:

I was not attracted to this palm initially. Only saw pictures. First time I saw one live was in Tim Blake's yard. So much better seeing it in three dimensional form. I knew I had to have one. Leaves are stiff like a Borassus.

The first time I saw one I thought it just looked like a palm you'd see on old CGA computer graphics... But as I said, it's really grown on me. Have yet to see a live one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose

'Lisa' is a genetic abborant form of Sabal palmetto. A percentage of it's prodigy will not have the gene that produces fused leaves.

You got to grow a group of them to see which will exhibit the 'Lisa' genetic trait

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jan Jo
29 minutes ago, Moose said:

'Lisa' is a genetic abborant form of Sabal palmetto. A percentage of it's prodigy will not have the gene that produces fused leaves.

You got to grow a group of them to see which will exhibit the 'Lisa' genetic trait

I see! Good to know! Thanks.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jan Jo
1 hour ago, Moose said:

'Lisa' is a genetic abborant form of Sabal palmetto. A percentage of it's prodigy will not have the gene that produces fused leaves.

You got to grow a group of them to see which will exhibit the 'Lisa' genetic trait

I just looked at the vendor that offers Sabal P Lisa seedlings (getting tempted) ..  He seems to be offering them "barely germinated"... Do you think you'd be able to tell at that stage? Sounds a bit risky? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jan Jo
30 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

I just looked at the vendor that offers Sabal P Lisa seedlings (getting tempted) ..  He seems to be offering them "barely germinated"... Do you think you'd be able to tell at that stage? Sounds a bit risky? 

Think I'm answering my own question really... Will ask for photos... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
28 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

I just looked at the vendor that offers Sabal P Lisa seedlings (getting tempted) ..  He seems to be offering them "barely germinated"... Do you think you'd be able to tell at that stage? Sounds a bit risky? 

2 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

Think I'm answering my own question really... Will ask for photos... 

Like most seedlings around here..."barely germinated". Most of the times, for us here, the only way to get that "must have" palm.

Did you seen it in "Para tu jardin"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jan Jo
13 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Like most seedlings around here..."barely germinated". Most of the times, for us here, the only way to get that "must have" palm.

Did you seen it in "Para tu jardin"?

Yep, the very same... That's where I bought my "barely germinated" Butiagrus 5 years ago now though, and no regrets ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
2 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

I just looked at the vendor that offers Sabal P Lisa seedlings (getting tempted) ..  He seems to be offering them "barely germinated"... Do you think you'd be able to tell at that stage? Sounds a bit risky? 

Definitely won't be able to tell at that stage.  I've not grown them myself but based on comments from the first post of the attached thread it takes 3-5 years of growth to see if there are any Lisa traits and only about 40% will show the traits.  I'd hold off unless you are buying a bunch of them and only expecting to get one or two with Lisa traits.  She no longer has the mother palm, unfortunately, thanks to a hurricane.

Jon

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
1 hour ago, Jan Jo said:
1 hour ago, lzorrito said:

Like most seedlings around here..."barely germinated". Most of the times, for us here, the only way to get that "must have" palm.

Did you seen it in "Para tu jardin"?

Yep, the very same... That's where I bought my "barely germinated" Butiagrus 5 years ago now though, and no regrets

Trusty then! Never bought from them. Must try.

But, back to Sabal "Lisa", I've been following a seedling (2 ft) planted last November on flowerbed by a road I usually use.  It's doing just great there. An eye catcher, it just sticks out among the surounding Chamaerops. Those fused leaves are really stunning!

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose

I purchased 12 strap leaved 'Lisa' from Meg. She brought them to a Palm function we were both planning to attend. They were in one gallon containers. I stepped them up into 3 gallon containers and waited. Within a couple of years, some leaves started exhibited a "cupping" characteristic on some of the Sabals. These proved to have the 'Lisa' trait in time. 7 out of 12 ended up being Lisa. 

Edited by Moose
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jan Jo
2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Definitely won't be able to tell at that stage.  I've not grown them myself but based on comments from the first post of the attached thread it takes 3-5 years of growth to see if there are any Lisa traits and only about 40% will show the traits.  I'd hold off unless you are buying a bunch of them and only expecting to get one or two with Lisa traits.  She no longer has the mother palm, unfortunately, thanks to a hurricane.

Jon

 

 

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

I purchased 12 strap leaved 'Lisa' from Meg. She brought them to a Palm function we were both planning to attend. They were in one gallon containers. I stepped them up into 3 gallon containers and waited. Within a couple of years, some leaves started exhibited a "cupping" characteristic on some of the Sabals. These proved to have the 'Lisa' trait in time. 7 out of 12 ended up being Lisa. 

Thanks! I've asked the vendor for photos (they've been for sale for a while now so I'm hoping they've developed a bit since the initial description), who knows, maybe they might show that distinguishing characteristic, I'll keep you posted ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe NC
17 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

 

Thanks! I've asked the vendor for photos (they've been for sale for a while now so I'm hoping they've developed a bit since the initial description), who knows, maybe they might show that distinguishing characteristic, I'll keep you posted ;)

I planted some "Lisa" seeds in the spring of 2017.  It took ~3 years for me to feel sort of confident that I could tell the Lisa from the regular ones.  When they were really small I thought that maybe some of the more curled ones were going to be the mutant form, but a bunch of them ended up pushing regular divided fronds.  I grew out 10 seedlings in 4"x9" pots, and I ended up with 4 that I'm pretty sure at this point are "Lisa" (3 now since I gave the one in the photo away). 

The only (bad) photo I have handy right now is of a handful of the assorted stuff I have grown from seed, but you can sort of see the difference in Sabal leaves here. 

The two plants in the center are the Sabal "Lisa".   The Sabal seedling on the right is at the size where it is showing regular leaves that are split into segments, while the one on the left is pushing larger undivided lisoid fronds (hopefully).  There might be a better way to tell at a much smaller size, but I think your best bet is to grow out a handful for a couple years to be sure you get at least one?        

20200807_160534.thumb.jpg.4ea73ca057e3bfc2d45b8a424fa8e80e.jpg 

Edited by Joe NC
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hillizard

Here is the one Sabal 'Lisa' I got from Phil/JM a couple of years ago. Its roots are already pushing out of the bottom of the treepot I put it in last year. Tried to capture a top-down view to show the prominent cupping the leaves display. Hope it turns out to be the true Lisoid form. :unsure:

Sabal_lisa2020b.png

Sabal_lisa2020a.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Mondel

Looks legit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose
16 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Here is the one Sabal 'Lisa' I got from Phil/JM a couple of years ago. Its roots are already pushing out of the bottom of the treepot I put it in last year. Tried to capture a top-down view to show the prominent cupping the leaves display. Hope it turns out to be the true Lisoid form. :unsure:

Sabal_lisa2020b.png

Sabal_lisa2020a.png

That's the cupping trait (look) I had on mine :greenthumb:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose

Same Sabal palmetto cv. 'Lisa', photo taken yesterday morning from center of the street before traffic started cranking.

20200829_064121(1).jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...