• Similar Content

• Marc
      By Marc
      Can one effectively prune phoenix roots and what is the best strategy for doing that?  I have a number of phoenix in large pots (e.g., 25G plus) and unlike most other families, phoenix will grow roots so aggressively that they will lift the entire palm, root base, soil and all right out of the pot such that it's no longer aesthetic.  I'm attaching two photos below that show this.  I think it was in a David Lesser book that I saw a photo at Versailles with many dozens of date palms in pots, i.e., I'd like to keep these in pots of the same size but this would require aggressive root pruning strategies.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  The species I've got in mind are Dactilyfera and Reclinata.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      hello everyone! Just had a question. I have had this canary island date palm in the ground for about a year and a half. It seems to be growing pretty slow as the trunk hasn't expanded a whole lot and the leaves don't seem to be getting longer. I do fertilize it and water it a few times a week. Any idea orare they this slow when they are small?
      Also I notice that at some nurseries I go to the fronds are way longer than what mine are (45 inches), with about the same size trunk. Does this mean my canary island date palm won't have those awesome super long green fronds and they will be shorter? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      This Phoenix dactylifera seedling needed to be repotted about a year ago from the little cup I first put it in. Finally got around to it and just wanted to show you it. Grown from seed out of a store bought date and it stretched, I need to give it more sun. My potting mix didn't drain at all so I had to mix topsoil with sand. 

• Jason in SB CA
      By Jason in SB CA
      My parents have two Phoenix canariensis that have been growing fine, but recently one of them has started to produce malformed fronds. Their gardener said it is a disease, but I am not sure if that is the case. I know they likely do not sanitize their tools in between trimming, so I would imagine all their canary island date palms would have this problem. If it is a disease, what can be done?

• Estlander
      By Estlander
      Anyone know what cross this might be? It’s obviously Phoenix of some kind. What throws me off is the thickness of the trunks. It’s a suckering one so I’m thinking Phoenix Reclinata, but leaning heavily towards Canariensis. Normally Phoenix Reclinata crosses have thinner trunks. It’s in Destin (coastal FL panhandle).