• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today we stopped at our local deli for lunch. As we were leaving I noticed two large Phoenix palms on each side of the driveway. One was loaded with seeds while the other, a male, was not. The fruits were still green and were 1" long x 1/2" wide. The seeds are 3/4" x 3/8". The Phoenix genus is not my favorite but these two palms were spectacular beneath the sunlit sky. They have been cared for and pruned judiciously and were perfect. I saw no other Phoenix palms nearby. My question is: Can anyone tell me what hybrids these two palms could be (almost all Phoenix in FL are hybrids)? Is anyone interested in seeds when they ripen? If the offspring take after the parents they should turn out to be awesome palms. I hope everyone agrees. I took the following photos:
      Phoenix species/hybrid
      Fruit and seeds

Male palm

Seeding Female palm

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      London's resident palm video guy, RH Grows, recently uploaded a video of a strange palm at Lincoln Inn Fields in central London.
      I'm not sure whether this is a regular CIDP, or some kind of CIDP hybrid? At first glance, it kind of looks like a Butia, but it's clearly a Phoenix of some sort. It almost looks like a Butia x CIDP hybrid, which is obviously impossible. The fronds and crown kind of have that Butia look, but it's clearly a Phoenix of some sort. Almost certainly CIDP, or hybridised with something like Dacty, Sylvestris, Rupicola etc.
      One thing to mention is that the palm is also grown in deep shade, which I believe could effect the frond size/length, but that would not explain the strange crown and slim trunk. Something just seems very different about it. For all I know it could just be a regular CIDP though. I don't know what other people think it is...?

• Daniel23
      By Daniel23
      Hi,
      I'm hoping someone could give me some advice about growing a Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix Canariensis). I'm thinking of planting one in a circular, slightly raised brick bed in the centre of my garden, and would love the palm to start out small (about 1 to 1.5 meters tall) and grow big over the years. However, I'm not sure if the circular bed, which measures 80 cm in diameter, is big enough to achieve this. The other issue I have is that the soil under and surrounding the bed is compacted and very hard to dig. I've dug a hole about a meter deep below the bed, but as it stands, I think the roots would have difficulty breaking out into the wider soil. I can excavate the area below the bed some more to give the roots room to grow, but I'm not sure how deep and wide I should go. I'd be really grateful if someone could give me some advice on planting a Phoenix Canariensis in this environment.
      Thanks,
      Daniel

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      Here is a catalog of all the bigger CIDP's around London and their locations, so that they can be monitored moving forward. It also helps for people to know where they can find them exactly, should they be in the area and decide to visit some. Many of these CIDP's are not well known, so I will be photo-documenting and logging quite a lot of fairly large specimens in the city and suburbs.
      Starting with the one at Lambeth Bridge...

River Gardens, Fulham

Hollands Park

Kensington

These CIDP's on the intersection are fruiting profusely and producing viable seed...

Another one further down the street...

There's two big CIDP's outside Hackney town hall. They've been there about 20 years. 

Egerton Place

It's in need of a trim, which will make the trunk look even bigger...

Mount Street gardens, Mayfair

Notting Hill

Richmond

White City, west London

Clapham

Next to a church in Ealing, West London.

Next to Wimbledon fire station. 

People's back gardens in Bermondsey, south west London

Wapping, East London

Eaton Square...

Islington

North Kensington...

Clapham again...

Camberwell...

Southwark...

East Dulwich

Croydon

Apartments in Fulham

St. Annes in Notting Hill

Front gardens kitted out...

Earlsfield

Another in Notting Hill...

A back yard in the London suburb of Leyton...

Decent sized specimen in Walworth...

That will do for now. I will upload the rest tomorrow as there are tons of other CIDP's in people's gardens/yards. I've barely scratched the surface on the London CIDP's yet...

• Marc
      By Marc
      Can one effectively prune phoenix roots and what is the best strategy for doing that?  I have a number of phoenix in large pots (e.g., 25G plus) and unlike most other families, phoenix will grow roots so aggressively that they will lift the entire palm, root base, soil and all right out of the pot such that it's no longer aesthetic.  I'm attaching two photos below that show this.  I think it was in a David Lesser book that I saw a photo at Versailles with many dozens of date palms in pots, i.e., I'd like to keep these in pots of the same size but this would require aggressive root pruning strategies.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  The species I've got in mind are Dactilyfera and Reclinata.