IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monterey, California Parajubeas

el-blanco

Had a day off fighting the fires in Carmel and came across these guys by the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  Streets signs pictured for reference if you are ever here.

BF0A575D-FA49-437E-8766-D3993FC6403C.jpeg

568AD0B0-355F-42D9-9CCD-13FAC52DAB26.jpeg

06BA6F79-BB52-484E-AE15-A3F2DA158977.jpeg

• Like 13

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

I know those two exact palms.  I thought they were hybrids.  Thanks for the Parajubaea clarification.

And thanks for your hard work fire fighting.

Edited by awkonradi

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Wow, I would have thought they were Mule Palms (Butyagrus):huh:

They Look great! I will tell my 4 P. tvm that they are not looking like they should. 

These were the photos a seller sent me to see what my Mule palm will look like. Maybe they are Parajubaea as well:lol:?

IMG-20190209-WA0008.thumb.jpg.2d9a679e41ea1878d3ef307b75625e57.jpgIMG-20190209-WA0009.thumb.jpg.a2fc8354d2372d5b1d3ae348e0ec8479.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kylecawazafla said:

Pretty sure those are mule palms :-/

Just to get sth clear: I have been 100% certain that these are Mule Palms the first time I saw the pictures. I was just a little irritated that DD and Darold have liked the Post without clarifying their correct ID. They are kind of "Palm Authorities" to me and have large Parajubaeas themselves. 

It is quite difficult to convey irony in a foreign language, I will try to improve on that subject next time:)

Edited by LivistonaFan
  • Like 1

Mea culpa, :(  I am multi-tasking many things today.    (My adult Parajubaea cocoides contracted a disease and was removed a few years ago.)

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

15 minutes ago, LivistonaFan said:

Just to get sth clear: I have been 100% certain that these are Mule Palms the first time I saw the pictures. I was just a little irritated that DD and Darold have liked the Post without clarifying their correct ID. They are kind of "Palm Authorities" to me and have large Parajubaeas themselves. 

It is quite difficult to convey irony in a foreign language, I will try to improve on that subject next time:)

I agree with you and Kyle - they appear to be mules.  I'm sure they guys liked the original post because they're beautiful palms and not because they agreed with the ID.   They are somewhat similar in appearance though.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

Don't see many Mule palms or Parajubaea here...can't tell them apart just by pics:crying:...there's nothing like talking and dismistify our doubts. Thanks!

Looking forward for the Mule palm update, @LivistonaFan!

Edited by lzorrito

Greetings, Luís

Look like Mules to me

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

I agree with you and Kyle - they appear to be mules.  I'm sure they guys liked the original post because they're beautiful palms and not because they agreed with the ID.   They are somewhat similar in appearance though.

I "liked" the post because I liked the view with the ocean in the background along with some healthy looking palms in a public setting which weren't Washingtonia robusta or Syagrus romanzoffiana (although it appears they are a hybrid of S romanzoffiana). 

Mules, Parajubeas... they all look alike to me :beat_deadhorse: and :floor: !!!!

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Yeah, they do look like Mules, i.e., Butiagrus.

Key difference is that P-Jubes, except cocoides, have silver on the backs of their leaves. These appear all green. Plus, those big fat chopped-off petioles. Those will be truck-stoppers when they grow up.

Neither I nor Darold affirmed the ID directly, though, from what I can see. That said, I should have noted the mule identity as others have. Mea culpa.

I liked the post, and still like the post, because of how beautiful the palms and the location are.

Surely we can agree on that much.

PS:

I wonder how some P-jubes would do in a spot like that?

And, thanks @el-blanco for your service (as well as the pictures), and hoping you'll get home soon.

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gets pretty nippy in Monterey. I used to delivery papers early mornings on my bike there as a kid at the Del Monte Shopping Center. Our lawn would get crunchy with frost. Fingers often got numb. I'm thinking they were recently planted and would be surprised to see them survive.

17 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Gets pretty nippy in Monterey. I used to delivery papers early mornings on my bike there as a kid at the Del Monte Shopping Center. Our lawn would get crunchy with frost. Fingers often got numb. I'm thinking they were recently planted and would be surprised to see them survive.

Mules are startling tough. They’re supposed to survive in places like Birmingham Alabama thru heat and cold 

• Like 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These mules will be happy in Monterey if they get sufficient summer water to get established and a modicum of nutrients over the decades. And they sure look like they're getting both. Super tough and hardy. It's so exciting to see unusual palms in coastal central California.

Thanks for posting, El Blanco Jeff, and, more importantly, thank you for your service fighting the fires.

Parajubaeas all have flat leaves, not keeled, recurved, or plumose. (And Parajubaea cocoides also has silvery abaxial leaf surfaces, along with P. torallyi and P. sunkha.)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

On 8/24/2020 at 1:08 PM, LivistonaFan said:

Mules can have a lot of different looks.  Some weep and are plumose like queens some are erect and have bi planar arrangements of leaflets like butia.  Buy the same (mule)palm again and you may get something alot different than you think.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Mules can have a lot of different looks.  Some weep and are plumose like queens some are erect and have bi planar arrangements of leaflets like butia.  Buy the same (mule)palm again and you may get something alot different than you think.    

Yeah, but I still don't think you'll ever find a mule that looks like a Parajubaea. I don't even think the Butia x Parajubaea crosses look enough like Parajubaea for my tastes. That's why I sprung for a PJx(BxJ)... hopefully by further diluting Butia I get something that looks like a PJ but survives here in the humid south.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, necturus said:

Yeah, but I still don't think you'll ever find a mule that looks like a Parajubaea. I don't even think the Butia x Parajubaea crosses look enough like Parajubaea for my tastes. That's why I sprung for a PJx(BxJ)... hopefully by further diluting Butia I get something that looks like a PJ but survives here in the humid south.

I was alluding to seeing a potentially non definitive pic(s) and differentiating species.   Being in person is always a better perspective.  I dont consider species ID from a photo the gold standard on "palm expertise".  If I "like" a pic often its because I like the way the palm has been cared for, not because I have ID'ed the species which are often uncertain from a pic.  Lack of communication here.  If you want it speciated, ask, and remember that a mule palm is not a genetically homozygous plant as a first gen hybrid, I'm sure a few "expert" taxonomists wouldnt ID it.     

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On 8/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, Frond-friend42 said:

Monterey gets nowhere near cold enough to bother a Mule or Parajubaea.  Even a mild freeze is very rare there.

• Like 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I finally got a wi-fi  signal to catch up on this post.  Been on the Dolan Fire in Big Sur.  I believe you are correct,  Mule Palms.  I could have sworn they were parajubeas.  Regardless very nice looking!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

20 hours ago, el-blanco said:

I finally got a wi-fi  signal to catch up on this post.  Been on the Dolan Fire in Big Sur.  I believe you are correct,  Mule Palms.  I could have sworn they were parajubeas.  Regardless very nice looking!

Great thread and hope you get home safe.

On 8/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, 96720 said:

Sorry wrong picture 

A6683B65-CF42-424F-B878-6E972886D2C7.jpeg

Is that perhaps Beccariophoenix?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

19 hours ago, JasonD said:

Is that perhaps Beccariophoenix?

I had the same thought, Jason - that's not a Parajubaea.  Looks like Beccariophoenix alfredii.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Parajubea will have no problems in Monterey, especially within sight of the Pacific. Here is one in my garden in Humboldt County.

Neither will Mule Palms, although I do have lower fronds yellowing a bit I think maybe do to lack of heat.

IMG_0621.thumb.jpeg.2519b5a3e77b2325576b653a1bfaecd4.jpegIMG_0957.thumb.jpeg.bf8b68035a36de1a09502fa74294ab06.jpeg

Edited by Northcoast Tony

Parajubaea are bulletproof well inland.  Big specimens well north of Sacramento.

Ben Rogers