Sign in to follow this  
DoomsDave

Chris is Coming

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Tropical Storm Chris is going to whack the Bahamas, which, if my memory serves, puts it at least a bit in line to hit our cherished colleagues in South Florida, as things stand now.

It could strengthen into a 'Cane fast, and not sugar.

Hmm.

Maybe Dr. Robert can pin a sign-off place, for those of you who must?  

Just a thought.

Let the games begin . . . . .

dave

Walter John

Can we move the weather posts to the weather section ? I like to follow these hurricanes and cyclones and rain patterns. I'm a weather nut

SunnyFl

(Wal @ Aug. 02 2006,21:18)

Can we move the weather posts to the weather section ? I like to follow these hurricanes and cyclones and rain patterns. I'm a weather nut

You too?

I've been following Chris' development since it was a "blob" (technical tropical-meteorology term, uh-huh), that "wasn't expected to develop."  Yeah, right.  

Ain't lookin' too good for the islands right now, maybe even the US.  

South FL does NOT need more battering; neither does any part of the gulf coastline - TX included.

See - this is one reason I like to keep my ultra-favorite palms in pots - so I can bring 'em in!   It's gotten to be worse in summer than winter :angry:

Palmarum

I am not worried about the storm. Even though if it comes this way it will ruin a palm meeting and cause me to move all my plants into my garage.

Ryan

NBTX11

(SunnyFl @ Aug. 02 2006,22:32)

; neither does any part of the gulf coastline - TX included.

Actually the south texas coast needs rain BAD BAD BAD, I would say from Victoria south.  Houston doesn't they have gotten plenty of rain.  I would actually hope this hits S TX as a Tropical Storm or very weak hurricane (Not a major hurricane) to give us some drought relief, which we seriously need.

Kathryn

Be careful what you wish for. Remember tropical storm Allison?

SubTropicRay

On the current forecast track, this small storm will miss the Bahamas.  There is also a good chance the mountians of Cuba will weaken the storm considerably.

steve 9atx

Kathryn

Ah yes, "just" that little tropical storm Allison that dumped 36" of rain in 24 hours (as measured about a  mile from my house).

Steve

SunnyFl

(syersj @ Aug. 02 2006,23:35)

(SunnyFl @ Aug. 02 2006,22:32)

; neither does any part of the gulf coastline - TX included.

Actually the south texas coast needs rain BAD BAD BAD, I would say from Victoria south.  Houston doesn't they have gotten plenty of rain.  I would actually hope this hits S TX as a Tropical Storm or very weak hurricane (Not a major hurricane) to give us some drought relief, which we seriously need.

Hey Jim,

Yes, droughts are awful - and you all do need the rain.  Something like a (relatively) fast-moving TD would be best - and not something that causes hellacious flooding like Allison.

Also, gotta be concerned about the reaction of many, who remember the evac disaster during Rita and might not leave in time.  Could be very dangerous if a storm causes flooding - and people in flood zones get stuck there.  Just my op.

spockvr6

Its not looking like much at the current time, but who knows how things will change.

wfla_tropic1.jpg

SunnyFl

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 03 2006,23:39)

Its not looking like much at the current time, but who knows how things will change.

Yeah, I think the graphic is a little overboard.  Doubt Chris will survive till Saturday - you see that mass of shear?

Pressures have been climbing slowly and steadily since yesterday - pretty good indicator of continued weakening.