SusanDallas

Where to purchase Washingtonia Filifera in Texas

SusanDallas

Is there anywhere in Texas where you can be sure and get true filifera and not filibusta? I don't care if it is online or sold at a nursery. I have 8 of them that are over 14 ft. tall. I bought them when they were about 18 inches tall. I need 2 more of them. I would like them to be about 3 ft. tall. I live south of Dallas in a rural area. The filibusters do not live where I am located. I have acreage on top of a hill with no windbreaks. I have been to Dallas Palms quite a few times. I have been told by the employees that they have the filifera. But due to the language barrier, I am not sure if they are true filifera. Most of the employees speak only Spanish and I don't. Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

kinzyjr

@SusanDallas

You can get them relatively close by from @TexasColdHardyPalms.  You can contact them using the information on this website: https://texascoldhardypalms.com/

I've bought from them plenty of times before, including a pair of Washingtonia filifera.  Few nurseries go through the care that they do to make sure their filifera are not hybrids and are more tolerant to moisture and humidity.

• Upvote 1

SusanDallas

Wow! Thank you for the info. They are not far from me. Their prices are great ! I am going to call them later today and see if I can set up an appointment. With those prices, I can buy a lot of other palms that I want as well. My poor checking account is going to take a ding. Gardening is one of my passions.

I hate to pay shipping when they are close by and the plants would be better than being boxed in this heat.  I have  got to get back to my mowing and weedeating right now. I just stopped to take a break. Thanks again

• Like 2

ahosey01
20 minutes ago, SusanDallas said:

Wow! Thank you for the info. They are not far from me. Their prices are great ! I am going to call them later today and see if I can set up an appointment. With those prices, I can buy a lot of other palms that I want as well. My poor checking account is going to take a ding. Gardening is one of my passions.

I hate to pay shipping when they are close by and the plants would be better than being boxed in this heat.  I have  got to get back to my mowing and weedeating right now. I just stopped to take a break. Thanks again

Yeah, those guys are good.  Joe has a great variety of stuff and he prices are off the charts reasonable.  A lot of his palms are small, but they are often selectively bred through specific lineages that have been proven to be particularly cold hardy.  I believe he was the dude that identified the fact that there were two strains of Sabal uresana, one significantly more cold hardy than the other.

Fusca
56 minutes ago, SusanDallas said:

Hi Susan, welcome to Palmtalk!

I recommend making a personal visit to Texas Cold Hardy Palms and selecting something in person.  His palms are well grown and I'm sure he has several different sizes of filifera - he has hundreds of them.  I made a trip up to his place in Mansfield a couple of years ago from San Antonio on my way to Ft. Worth and it was well worth it.  I know what you mean about not being able to find W. filifera specifically.  Joseph collects most if not all of his filifera seed himself so you know what you are getting.  And he's got plenty of other interesting palms that can grow in your zone that are not easily found elsewhere.  Brahea armata for example.  I'm including a couple of threads from @TonyDFW showing some of his awesome palms.  Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

Jon

• Upvote 1

SusanDallas

Thank you for all the excellent advice. I called and spoke to Joe. I made an appointment to visit his place this coming week. He also told me that he has a mix of palm fertilizer that he sells that is about half the price of Carl's palm food. So, I am going to pick up a bag of that as well.

I remember Tony in DFW. I used to subscribe to the Palm Society newsletter many years ago. I believe he is the one who got one of the Home Depot stores in Dallas to do a special order of the cold hardy palms. That is how I got the washingtonia filifera that I have now. At that time, I drove a little 2-seater convertible. I had to make 3 trips into Dallas to get all the palms and banana plants into my car. They wouldn't fit in unless I had the top down on my car. I looked like a mobile jungle going down the highway. I was terrified that a policeman was going to see me. Many thanks to Tony for getting Home Depot to do that. 

Now, I have a minivan. So I expect to fill it up next week. Again, thanks to all of you for recommending Joe' nursery to me. I really appreciate it.

TexasColdHardyPalms

@SusanDallas Look forward to meeting you Monday! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

tigerflash

Hi, this is an old thread but now relevant for me.  I'm having trouble finding Washingtonia Filifera in the Central Texas area (around Austin), presumably due to the freeze.  If anyone knows of any around please let me know, willing to drive to Houston too.