IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana Seedlings

palmsOrl

I have a fairly large number of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana seedlings I would like to offer free in lots of up to five. 

Redant (Doug) was generous enough to give me an amazing tour of his garden last month and while there gave me many free palms.  I would like to pass along a bit of his generosity starting with these 40 palms.  The total I am offering is 40 for now as I want to make sure the rest are rooted and are healthy and growing before I plant or distribute them to fellow enthusiasts.

I am not sure of the parent plants' origins or if they are a known variety of A. cunninghamiana or for that matter if these traits would be passed on to seedlings arising in a yard with multiple individuals of the species as the parents.

Please pm me if interested.

I am willing to meet anyone who is interested in any public location in the greater Orlando area.

Note, next year I should have about 10 Veitchia arecina (2-4 feet by then) to offer free and about five Dypsis lastelliana (2-3 feet).

• Like 1

I no longer have extra Dypsis lastelliana left.  Just Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and Veitchia arecina.

• 2 weeks later...

Address.jpg.5f6b6325cbf0594f844d927b359e51b2.jpgI'll take five or so off your hands. I grew these years ago when living in Florida during the 90's. Here's my mailing address.Address.jpg.5f6b6325cbf0594f844d927b359e51b2.jpg

Yes, I will ship.  I am going to be un-potting the plants and checking all of their roots to make sure each plant I am going to send is healthy first and then I will pot the lot in one pot in a much more free draining mix and treat with propaconazole before sending.  Again, I want to make sure everything I send is healthy.

The reason for this is, the ones I have at the house on the porch are looking well, only a few out of over 100 plants look like they are struggling.  About 6 days ago, I took about 12 plants home as these were the ones I wanted to ship.  I dipped the leaves in malathion to make sure there were no spider mite issues and within 2-3 days, the leaves looked like they had some sort of disease.  So, of course, I repotted these and treated them with fungicide and will obviously not be sending these.  Perhaps the leaves remaining wet with the malathion solution overnight caused a fungal issue.  I have sprayed the palms with malathion before so I do not think malathion toxicity was the issue causing the leaves to develop the dead spots that suddenly appeared.

So, I will once again select some from the bunch I have at the house and make sure they are healthy before sending.

I feel that the reason I have had some fungal issues is mainly due to the fact that the substrate is too heavy (10% play sand and 10% fine Vermiculite is clearly inadequate to ensure a light enough substrate.  I am now using a minimum of 30% coarse Vermiculite for everything.) and the drainage holes in the cups I used as pots are too small.

Tomorrow, I will pull 30 aside, make sure that they are healthy and will be in touch with each of you to let you know via a pm when I am shipping the plants and for some, to get the details I need to do so.

-Michael

Due to the number of requests for me to ship and since I originally stated that these were to be for local pickup, since they are complimentary, I am going to go ahead and stick with local pickup only.

If you live in, or are going to be in the greater Orlando area at any point, please pm me and we can arrange to meet up.

Thank you for understanding.

-Michael

• 2 months later...