McClell.Col829

HELP PLEASE, has my washy contracted a disease of some kind?

McClell.Col829

Hello my Fellow Palm Talkers, I purchased a Washy (labeled as a Filifera, imo its a Filibusta) about a month ago from HD, I normally don't get my palms from big name corporations, however this palm was priced very low for its size and for the area I live in, St. George, Utah. It's been in the ground for a month, I've been good about watering it,  and I use fish emulsion fertilizer during planting, in my experience it usually helps reduce transplant shock. Anyways, I'm concerned about a couple of things, however the speckling on the petioles is my main concern. I'm wondering what it may be, and what I can do to treat it or remedy it. Any input, recommendations, thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. I hope everybody is doing as well as they can during these stressful and challenging times! I hope you all stay safe and healthy! God Bless,

Thanks

Colby

Palm820.jpeg

Resized_20200820_191935.jpeg

Resized_20200812_153214.jpeg

Resized_20200820_191930.jpeg

• Like 1

RyManUtah

Hi Colby, walk to Palmtalk! 

It is presumed that most commercial filifera are hybrids, unless grown from a reputable source, or collect seeds in habitat yourself.

Your washy looks okay to me, other than some pencil-necking, the issues are minor imo. 
Transplant shock will happen on nearly any palm you plant in the summer; water it daily for a few weeks. I am in st George as well,  Sometimes the nursery grown was hows sunburn when they bring them here. They will grow out it it by next Spring/summer. 

If you are talking about the white / grey colored spots, I believe this to be deposits from your sprinklers. The water is very hard here.  It won’t bother a washy I’m the summer, but watch it if you water in the winter. Keep the crown dry unless it’s above the spray zone in winter. 

good luck! I think it will be fine. 

-Ryan

• Like 4

McClell.Col829

RyManUtah,

Thank you for the information and recommendations, I'll stop worrying about it and follow your suggestion about watering. I have heard that about commercially cultivated "Filiferas", it is very frustrating and annoying that the cultivators won't label them as hybrids, but oh well. It's nice to see a fellow St. Georgian on here. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly view your profile posts, but i saw a couple, your yard is incredible!

Thanks again 

Colby M.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• DreaminAboutPalms
      By DreaminAboutPalms
      Starting this thread for all the random palms I see around the Dallas area on a daily basis
    • WinterPalm
      By WinterPalm
      Hi all, I’m new here ☺️
      I’ve always thought about having a potted palm. I saw a thread on here recommending washies as a palm that can live in a pot and handle dry winter air indoors, so I decided to give them a try since the seedlings are so cheap on eBay.
      I ordered three bare-root washy seedlings from an ebay seller in Nevada and received six. They arrived on a cold day in March (about 25F) with roots wrapped in damp paper towels. They were beautiful on arrival. This is how they looked right after potting.
      Before planting, I soaked the roots in distilled water with kelp extract. then I planted them in a mix of Miracle Gro Palm/Cactus, perlite and sand, based on recommendations on here. But they went into root shock anyway. For about a month they looked like this.

A lot of the leaves withered, but the spears stayed green so I watered them lightly, pruned the dead leaves and waited. Around late April the surviving fronds started to perk up a little.

I started putting them outside in full sun anytime the temp was above 60F. The growth accelerated as the weather warmed. A few weeks ago I added a little bit of Jobe’s granular palm food. I just poked some holes in the soil, poured the fertilizer in, and topped off the holes with soil. Maybe about a quarter cup per plant. They’ve really taken off in the last couple months. I’ve been watering them by pouring rainwater into the trays they’re sitting in. They also get top watered whenever it rains.

I gave one to my mom and all six are still doing great. I’m wondering if there’s anything else I should do? Should I maybe fertilize them one more time this season, or not?
       I’m also wondering how I should treat them when I take them indoors for winter. I plan to keep them next to the same southern window I had them in this spring. Of course I don’t plan to keep them in standing water or use any fertilizer in winter. I’m thinking I should just water them lightly once a week. Should I trim off the roots that are sticking out the bottom or just leave them?
    • DTS1
    • DreaminAboutPalms
      By DreaminAboutPalms
      This Washingtonia hybrid seedling is about 9.5 months old and I noticed about a month ago how the trunk was starting to curve. This morning I was removing the oldest frond noticed that the boot ripped right off revealing what looks to be like the trunk rotting on bottom of one side, it’s all black.

not sure if this is from bugs, or if that spot just kept getting wet. Other than this the palm looks fine. Newest frond is steadily growing 

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      Apparently this has developed into a thing now in the UK. Well southern England anyway... just crazy...
      Ashley Road, Ryde

New Esplanade Court, Paignton

The White House / Cary Court, Torquay

The Earls Court pool CIDP is about 15-20 foot now, but it is dwarfed by the 30 foot Robusta. That CIDP will start putting on 3 foot of growth per year now though at that size, like the others. 

Splashdown Quaywest waterpark in Paignton has a lot of CIDP's growing there, which will be as big as some of the others I have posted in another decade or so...

North Ford Road, Dartmouth

Anyone got any photos of big CIDP's towering over pools? These UK ones are a work in progress still obviously. I know a lot of people are against the idea of growing CIDP's next to pools and having them tower over eventually like the ones in the first picture I posted. I know some people feel the same with Washies and many other big/tall palms. Personally, I love the look of it.