IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archie why so sad?

Frond-friend42

Probably from being indoors, salt build up etc.  BTW, it does not look like A. cunninghamiana - looks like A. alexandre or another species to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

salt build up etc

...and does it get any sun, even if filtered? South or West facing window? Low humidity...

Greetings, Luís

North-facing next to a window. What makes you say Alexandrae?  I think i decided Cunninghamiana years mostly from the appearance as seedlings and also the appearance of the seed. But even as adults I find those two hard to tell apart last I tried.

I mist it, on occasion, with a spray-bottle. But this area is dry here in Utah.

Hard to tell... Does it have ramenta? Can you post some pics of the backside of leave?

You must keep your potting soil constantly moist. Just misting is not enough. I Say that's dry heat damage.

What kind of fertilizer do you use?

Greetings, Luís

• 5 weeks later...

My offices are rarely get very hot and this window faces North.  I keep them moist. Water them about weekly seems to suffice. They are looking better. I gave them some miracle gro palm felt and I think it helped.

14 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

My offices are rarely get very hot and this window faces North.  I keep them moist. Water them about weekly seems to suffice. They are looking better. I gave them some miracle gro palm felt and I think it helped.

Nice!! Glad to hear that! Probably nutritional deficiency, but you've got it under control now.:greenthumb: 

Potted Archies are quite tricky...keep an eye on potting soil decay which may lead to nutritional deficiency. I already experienced it and it happens fast. Had to repot and remove all the old soil. A. maxima took about 4 months to recover.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

Any possibility that the issue could be spider mites?  The affected areas of foliage look a bit like palm foliage tends to look when affected by spider mites.  Not a severe infestation, but one that is just getting started.

Uh oh. I hope not. How can

16 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Any possibility that the issue could be spider mites?  The affected areas of foliage look a bit like palm foliage tends to look when affected by spider mites.  Not a severe infestation, but one that is just getting started.

Uh-oh. I hope not. My hibiscus tree just got hit hard by that.  Don't see any webs. What should I look for?

Yeah, spider mites can be horrible and can rapidly overwhelm and kill a plant, even small palms when conditions are favorable for infestation.

Look at the underside of the leaves under where the discoloration is and if it looks dusty or if you see little black specks or little webs, the palm probably has spider mites.  I got tired of trying to control them with more “gentle” methods like horticultural oils or blasts of water, or even mild insecticides, so I have started using malathion and it works if you treat regularly until signs of infestation are gone.  In other words, I had to treat several times.

Case-in-point, I just discovered that my little Clinostigma savoryanum has given up the ghost.  This palm was extremely healthy when purchased, I up-potted it and it started taking off, then stupidly I moved it onto the screened porch and it promptly became infested with spider mites, like within days it went from healthy looking to covered in a layer of fuzz, yellowing and wilted.  I started the malathion treatments on this (and some other small palms on the porch that had developed the same issue).  I also moved the affected palms outside so that the macroscopic bugs that eat spider mites could maybe keep them in check (being on the screened porch blocks the entry of these beneficial insects).

C2CA1F0C-55B3-46EB-A295-AEF998C0D095.thumb.jpeg.f2ab189e5db82d30ab6bb4c168bccd28.jpeg

My little Clinostigma did improve and started to slowly grow again, but I think the damage was done and I should have kept the soil drier.  I believe most of the foliage was already so damaged that it didn’t draw enough moisture from the soil, the soil stayed too wet and the roots suffocated.

• 2 weeks later...

Brushing up against the ceiling. Going to have do some rearranging since I'm in the "Great Cold North" and have nowhere to put it in the ground...so far.

Same issues, I've also got an Archy that has gone south in the last couple months.

I've got Neem oil, and I'd like to promote any bug that eats mites. . .   But I won't spray malathion in my house, it's just not worth it.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

'cunninghamiana' is easy to tell from an 'alexandre', look under the leaflets, if they are the same colour then it is a Cunning, if the underside is silvery it is an Alex.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 8/20/2020 at 2:16 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Probably from being indoors, salt build up etc.  BTW, it does not look like A. cunninghamiana - looks like A. alexandre or another species to me.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:04 PM, gtsteve said:

'cunninghamiana' is easy to tell from an 'alexandre', look under the leaflets, if they are the same colour then it is a Cunning, if the underside is silvery it is an Alex.

You guys convinced me! Must be ive had Alexanders all along. All this time...hmmm. Do they hybridize?

20201012_185119.jpg

10 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

You guys convinced me! Must be ive had Alexanders all along. All this time...hmmm. Do they hybridize?

20201012_185119.jpg

I was right!  Definitely not cunninghamiana...alexandres are much nicer so you are lucky!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37