IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor miracle!

kbob11

Last spring 2019 I planted a 5 gal sabal minor by the back of my property.   I offered it NO winter protection in a 6a climate.  This spring 2020 it was completely dead or so I thought.  This morning I was out weeding and discovered new growth coming out!  I thought it was a lost cause but am happy to see!  Anyone else have a successful sabal minor above 42N on the east coast?

Photo 1: close up 

Photo 2: as discovered today

Photo 3: day of planting March 2019

476073F5-9B23-4142-AEB0-D0DBB2317816.jpeg

6A51747E-83FE-47F5-A496-D9C5A8914C35.jpeg

39434118-AB0A-4647-9E21-366C8A881636.png

Edited by kbob11
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Better protect it this winter, one more will most likely do it in.

Wow, that's fantastic!  Will you cover/protect it this winter?

I have about 25 Sabal Minor seedlings in pots that we started the last year or two.  I get mixed up now due to the Coronavirus, but I have it written down at home.  They spent last winter in the greenhouse, but they have been outside this summer.  I will bring them back in this winter, but I think I will plant them outside early next spring.

24 minutes ago, kbob11 said:

I think I will put a Lowe’s bucket with leaves over it this year.

Try a weighed down Styrofoam cooler or "rose cone".  It might get you a bit more insulation value than the bucket. 

I have a couple of beat old coolers that I use to protect smaller plants when there are extreme (for Z8) lows forecast.  They do a great job of trapping in the heat from the ground (I have put a wireless temp probe in there, and was really surprised how much warmer it was).   

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm in 6b, and I've protected my minors (leaves and a cover) after planting for 3 years. I haven't lost one after that, even though they get significant burn.

Seeing the green pop out on a "dead" palm is cool. I'd heard about Chinese fan palms' recovery from complete defoliation, so I planted one last year. After a hard freeze, it was trimmed to the ground, and covered with leaves. The 1st week of June it came back!chinfan.thumb.JPG.977eb479be59b5ffc2a64da9b294353d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1