Jump to content
Jubaea_James760

Top 5 fastest growers

Recommended Posts

Jubaea_James760

@Fusca, Thanks Jon! It's actually my one of my oldest Wednesday! She's the ringleader. She a bad influence on the others lol! 

I finally got a Patric Shafter Mule ( Yatay xQueen). I put it in the ground this spring.  It's doing really well, 2 new leaves. I'm hoping it'll rise through the ranks & eventually to atleast be in the top 5! 

Great top 5 picks! :greenthumb: are you going to try another Livistona Nitida?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk

Jubaea is probably my fastest. 

(Bigger Jubaea) First photo 2020, second photo 2021.

(Smaller Jubaea) Third photo 2020, fourth photo 2021

Slowest is T. princeps.

 

Jubaea.jpg

jubaea14.jpg

jubaea16.jpg

jubaea15.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
4 hours ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

@Fusca, Thanks Jon! It's actually my one of my oldest Wednesday! She's the ringleader. She a bad influence on the others lol! 

I finally got a Patric Shafter Mule ( Yatay xQueen). I put it in the ground this spring.  It's doing really well, 2 new leaves. I'm hoping it'll rise through the ranks & eventually to atleast be in the top 5! 

Great top 5 picks! :greenthumb: are you going to try another Livistona Nitida?

Ha ha, I should have known it was Wednesday!  The yatay mule will be a beauty for sure!  I do hope to try the nitida again if I can find one.  I took some pics today but not all turned out well:

#1 x Butyagrus.  This one was trunk-cut back to 4" above the ground back in April and back to around 6' overall height now.

 

IMG_20210822_143546.jpg

#2 Copernicia alba - didn't skip a beat after protection.

 

IMG_20210822_155320.jpg

#3 Butia odorata - nearly completely defoliated but coming back nicely.

 

IMG_20210822_155344.jpg

#4 Chamaerops humilis - trunk-cut and lost one large sucker

 

IMG_20210822_144627.jpg

#5 Livistona chinensis - trunk-cut

 

IMG_20210822_144813.jpg

And a few honorable mention palms - Sabal guatemalensis and uresana not at all fast but pushing huge fans.  And bizzy starting to move faster with the heat showing off some nice color!

 

IMG_20210822_143306.jpg

IMG_20210822_143237.jpg

IMG_20210822_155505.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jubaea_James760
On 8/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, Swolte said:

Interesting to revisit this thread!

Just checked my previous response and I had Jubutiagrus, T Fortunei, and the W Robusta as the winners. 

The winterstorm surely did a big number of those. The hybrids have been slow to recover. I am counting 4 large fronds on my big one. The Fortunei, like most Trachy's in Texas, had struggled. Growth is good now but its not a big winner this year. The Robusta, which was cut to the spear, initially pushed a few dwarf fronds and is only now getting back into the race. Too little too late!

Anyway, here are the new winners!

2021 TOP 5 GROWTH RATE
(See pics below. I just took m out in the yard wearing my headlights). 
1) W. Filifera - Surely faster than the Robusta now. It's pushing huge leaves rapidly. A joy to watch. Was cut to a single spear last winter.
2) L. Nitida - Dang, this one surely lives up to its reputation. Protected without a heat source when it hit 3F. It was rather small so I didn't cut it. Though older fronds took damage, it has noticeably gained in size. Reaching for the skies with lots of new fronds.   
3) P. Canariensis - You wouldn't say it but this one was cut to one spear only last winter. A beetle slowed it down but it has been picking up speed again this month. 
4) T. Acanthocoma - I have a small temporary path running there and recently noticed I am getting pinched by the stiff fronds. This one is getting wider and wider! Similar to Nitida, it was still small last year so I didn't cut it down for the winterstorm. Protected without a heat source (some straw and blankets in an exposed spot). The leaves are getting very large and its constantly pushing fronds.   
5) B. Odorata - Wasc ut to the spear and look at it now!

 

rank Fili.jpg

Rank Niti.jpg

Rank Canar.jpg

Rank Trithr.jpg

Rank Butia.jpg

I go out observing my palms/cycads at night with a flashlight as well! Or to water from time to time. My neighbors probably think I'm on drugs or something :floor: what a bunch of weirdos we are lol!

Your Nitida looks great! I like that long stretched look yours has. I feel like is currently doing this & probably by next year (hopefully) have that same look as yours.

Beautiful Acanthocoma! I have a double Trithrinax Acanthocoma seedling I may try in a year or 2. I've had big ones planted in the past but lost them to my winters. I'm in a warmer area now so I want to try this species again. 

Everything bounced back &  looks really good :greenthumb: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

My fastest grower is a palm I bought as Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Winsan’. If it’s really Winsan or not I have no idea. When I planted it in 2016 it was around 2.5 feet tall, now it’s around 17.5 feet. I usually get about 2.5 feet of trunk each season and around 15-17 new fronds. Here’s some pictures from August 2016 to August 2021. 

04432DCD-8175-4664-A007-4CB7443261BF.jpeg

528EAC69-5E4D-4CFE-B10D-BCFCB58DD64C.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jubaea_James760
On 8/22/2021 at 6:11 AM, GregVirginia7 said:

Zone 7 here so very limited but my Trachy is a rocket...

In ground 2014:

06CC285B-CC30-4D7F-AC22-38EE1B8D8816.thumb.jpeg.7c8c21cb0d0911565e23f492da9ce56c.jpeg
 

Today...about 8 feet of trunk:

image.thumb.jpg.cc1d0fc5d1376f38cba5c99ae3dcb1ff.jpg

It’s been a real pleasure watching it ride through winter and keep on growing...

Chamaerops in ground 2014:

BFEF36CB-1C23-4B7C-B774-30F8E222C521.thumb.jpeg.d506539508d178d84a96c3cec90a5832.jpeg

Chamaerops now...about 2 feet of trunk:

image.thumb.jpg.87d470e7fe5067f2e99114f7c1aae8ac.jpg

Not a rocket but definitely a great contender...

 

image.jpg

Beautiful! I definitely can appreciate a well grown trachy. What's the Sabal below it, Brazoria?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jubaea_James760
On 8/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, Will said:

Trachycarpus fortunei is also the fastest one for me.  Also don´t have many options. It´s definetly growing faster than my Chamaerops humilis. 

The other Trachy doesn´t grow that fast, not sure why. 

Chamaerops on the left still in a pot and the 2 Trachys in 2016.

DSC00338.thumb.JPG.6dbc4c35939bed0ede8cb32ef87d2b25.JPG

 

Now:

1685878550_WhatsAppImage2021-08-23at00_06_57.thumb.jpeg.7eaeff8c8177145288dca3a2a44f6d01.jpeg1000417497_WhatsAppImage2021-08-23at00_02_56.thumb.jpeg.e8aa739654e09e31eb6a1ba20a48f5da.jpeg

Yup!  My Chamaerops Humilis puts out a ton of leaves but I never noticed much growth, maybe 2-3" of trunk a year?! 

20210722_065032.thumb.jpg.ce90690dd594741cff0a35e5e56036a0.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jubaea_James760

@Fallen Munk, nice growth on your Jubaea's!  :greenthumb:

I've having the same experience as you with my Princeps. I think somethings wrong with mine! I Hope a gopher didn't get to its roots :bemused:

 

@Chris Wilson, Geez man! That's remarkable growth! I've seen your post of it before but it still amazes me that it achieved that size in 5 years! Bravo :greenthumb:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jubaea_James760

@Fusca, That Copernicia Alba, Wow! I need 1 in my life :D. You about won me over with it until you posted the Sabals,  you know I'm a sucker for Sabals Jon :floor: especially a Uresana & Guatemalensis lol! My Guatemalensis is chugging along. Planted it in Spring & as soon as I put it in the ground it took off! I can't wait until mines your size :greenthumb:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
10 hours ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

@Fusca, That Copernicia Alba, Wow! I need 1 in my life :D. You about won me over with it until you posted the Sabals,  you know I'm a sucker for Sabals Jon :floor: especially a Uresana & Guatemalensis lol! My Guatemalensis is chugging along. Planted it in Spring & as soon as I put it in the ground it took off! I can't wait until mines your size :greenthumb:

You were smart to plant it in the ground early.  Mine stayed in a pot for 5 years while I moved around and it was still strap-leafed when I finally got it in the ground.  That alba is one of my favorites!  Hard to imagine but below is a photo of it in March 2018!  I forgot to ask you if your prunifera is a blue one or a green one.  The prunifera I lost in February was a green one but I bought a nice blue one from @Joe palma - thanks Joe!  

1942287441_Coperniciaalba-Mar2018.thumb.JPG.bd7367150bf769784d9dfef58a9b8cb6.JPG

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will
16 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

My fastest grower is a palm I bought as Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Winsan’. If it’s really Winsan or not I have no idea. When I planted it in 2016 it was around 2.5 feet tall, now it’s around 17.5 feet. I usually get about 2.5 feet of trunk each season and around 15-17 new fronds. Here’s some pictures from August 2016 to August 2021. 

04432DCD-8175-4664-A007-4CB7443261BF.jpeg

528EAC69-5E4D-4CFE-B10D-BCFCB58DD64C.jpeg

Wow that´s a fast one. Hopefully mine is also gonna exploed in growth soon

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GregVirginia7
On 8/23/2021 at 11:01 PM, Jubaea_James760 said:

Beautiful! I definitely can appreciate a well grown trachy. What's the Sabal below it, Brazoria?

Yes, Brazoria...really has taken off this year...been in ground since 2015...I’ve protected it quite a bit In winter but want to pull back on that a little...barring any arctic events...but here it is below along with small incandescent lights for a little heat...I think they did pretty good in the historic Texas freeze so now that it is really well established, I’ll try to treat it more like a cold hardy palm but I can see it now, I’ll be throwing all kinds of stuff around it this winter...LOL...

5D9B56BA-1745-46F1-AF45-8170CCA49648.thumb.jpeg.60fcd70f5e18381f28c6b4a29dbd54e8.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jubaea_James760
On 8/24/2021 at 7:07 AM, Fusca said:

You were smart to plant it in the ground early.  Mine stayed in a pot for 5 years while I moved around and it was still strap-leafed when I finally got it in the ground.  That alba is one of my favorites!  Hard to imagine but below is a photo of it in March 2018!  I forgot to ask you if your prunifera is a blue one or a green one.  The prunifera I lost in February was a green one but I bought a nice blue one from @Joe palma - thanks Joe!  

1942287441_Coperniciaalba-Mar2018.thumb.JPG.bd7367150bf769784d9dfef58a9b8cb6.JPG

My Prunifera is the blue one as well.

Holy cow that fast! Atleast to me, not sure how fast these typically grow but I'd be really happy to have an Alba your current size from what it was in 2018 :D

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
On 8/23/2021 at 8:39 PM, Jubaea_James760 said:

I've having the same experience as you with my Princeps. I think somethings wrong with mine! I Hope a gopher didn't get to its roots :bemused:

 

Probably not.  I hear they are very slow to establish especially if they get shipped bare root.  I have two.  One is getting its second leaf for the season and the other is still pushing the same spear it had when it arrived last October.  I'm hoping next year they are really going to take off.  I have a few hundred princeps seeds coming from China after harvest in December so I'm thinking that they might grow faster than ones shipped bare root.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
4 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Probably not.  I hear they are very slow to establish especially if they get shipped bare root.  I have two.  One is getting its second leaf for the season and the other is still pushing the same spear it had when it arrived last October.  I'm hoping next year they are really going to take off.  I have a few hundred princeps seeds coming from China after harvest in December so I'm thinking that they might grow faster than ones shipped bare root.

I’ve had mine for years they are mega slow. 2 or 3 years in pots with very slow growth. Been in the ground close to 1.5 years and still slow but gradually improving. I think the largest one is working on frond 3 and 4 of the year now. It’s actually pushing 2 spears at once finally. Overall height is less than 8”. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
On 8/23/2021 at 10:10 PM, Chris Wilson said:

My fastest grower is a palm I bought as Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Winsan’. If it’s really Winsan or not I have no idea. When I planted it in 2016 it was around 2.5 feet tall, now it’s around 17.5 feet. I usually get about 2.5 feet of trunk each season and around 15-17 new fronds. Here’s some pictures from August 2016 to August 2021. 

04432DCD-8175-4664-A007-4CB7443261BF.jpeg

528EAC69-5E4D-4CFE-B10D-BCFCB58DD64C.jpeg

Definitely one of the prettiest trachies I've seen, and a speed demon to boot!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MSX

This Washingtonia was transplanted from the pot into the ground in the front yard this spring, 5 months ago, and it's undeniably faster than any other plant in our garden is!

Washy5mon.jpg

Edited by MSX
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • Jubaea_James760
      By Jubaea_James760
      Its overcast tonight, humidity is up which is a nice change. First time taking night pictures with this phone on this beautiful night  first up Butia Odorata I suppose. 

      Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera

      Brahea Edulis


      Livistona Austrailis

      Trachycarpus Princeps

      Nannorrhops Arabica, took a little bit of winter damage its first winter. I expect this one to gain more hardiest each year.

      Sabal Uresana

      Trithrinax Campestris 
       

      Jubaea Chilensis 



    • Tracy S
      By Tracy S
      I understand the 2020 IPS Biennial will be held in Reunion Island. Do we have firm dates yet? When will the travel details be available?
       
×
×
  • Create New...