IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Top 5 fastest growers

Jubaea_James760

What is your top 5 fastest growers thus far? I count the new leaves as well as overall growth. Chamaerops Humilis (single plant) puts out a ton of leaves every year but not much overall growth so I didn't include that one. Some palms put out 2-3 leaves & you can see sufficient growth, so whatever growth is to you B) Here's my top 5:

#1 Brahea Edulis (7-8 leaves) kinda lost count on this one. Extremely fast for me.

#2 Livistona Nitida (6-7 leaves) same, lost count.

#3 Trithrinax Campestris ( unknown amount of leaves) this one put on some good vertical height & girth.  Its a double & recently noticed a third pup/sucker? Coming up that I may cut off. Easily 6-7+ leaves each.

#4 Nannorrhops Arabica (4 leaves) tripled in size from this time last year.

#5 Livistona Lanuginosa (4 leaves) 

There's about 5 other palms that pushed out 4 leaves that i did not include. 

#1 Brahea Edulis 

20200818_134155.thumb.jpg.e4abbc398737cb58924b9f0849f76d5b.jpg

#2 Livistona Nitida 

20200819_123712.thumb.jpg.9be78d799b0fbc28cdd8566325b29b6c.jpg

#3 Trithrinax Campestris 

20200819_235856.thumb.jpg.71048368f3fc94919ace936e27780f12.jpg

#4 Nannorrhops Arabica 

20200820_000047.thumb.jpg.68aaa3e26019d601fd052484d882faf7.jpg

#5 Livistona Lanuginosa ( bad pic with the fence around it but I need it up because of my dog)

20200820_000505.thumb.jpg.e675361c4dd244ee3d01fff66865c660.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 4

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

The fastest here has to be Washingtonia Robusta and the Filibusta hybrids, like in general. Although one of my Trachycarpus Fortunei’s is very quick and may be the fastest growing palm in my garden. It has opened about 10 fronds and gained about 3 foot in height since January. Other Fortunei’s are very slow however. So it varies between specimens. 

My slowest palm is the Jubaea Chilensis by far. Still only had one frond open on it this year, with two new spears that are just refusing to open. Phoenix Dactylifera is also very, very slow here averaging 1-2 new fronds per year. The Dacty would probably be quicker if it was planted in the ground though. 

• Like 6

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

@James760 I have bought your top 3 this year and would be happy if they will grow half as quick as yours:greenthumb:

If you lose track on counting the leaves, just throw a cable tie loosely on the newest emerging spear in spring and you can count the number of leaves quite precisely. You can even see how much the trunk has grown.

931484068_DSC_4766(1).thumb.JPG.bc595a330d826ac1ae34711222a861be.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Hi James, 

Most of my palms are still quite young so it's hard to say and make a fair comparison. I can confirm that, here in Texas, I have been very impressed with the L. Nitida. I put it in the ground last Spring and its been putting out 5+ new fronds. My T. Campestris, which has been in the ground for 2+ years and has been a steady grower. Remarkably green despite a very light fertilization schedule. It's putting out about 5 fronds a year along with some thickening of the trunk though I am not getting a significant height increase yet.  My Mazari, which also has been in the ground for 2 years, is very slow. At this rate, it probably takes 3/4 years before it looks anything like yours.  

The gold medal goes to a jubutiagrus triple hybrid. Hands down. That thing is a rocket. It was basically a strapling when I got it two years ago and it towers above me already. Silver medal goes to a T Fortunei in dappled shade that has been growing very fast. I actually don't want it to get too big and have ceased watering and fertilizing for a year now (still keeps going and looking very healthy). The W Robusta gets the silver medal but its a close match with the L. Nitida (which admittedly does get better care) and a more mature Sabal that just started trunking. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I also lose track of how many fronds have emerged. Thank you for the cable tie suggestions, @LivistonaFan
Some of my fastest palms surprised me, some did not: 

1-  Washingtonia.
My presumed robusta (seeds collected from robusta in Laughlin) adds more vertical height per frond, but pushes new fronds at the same pace as pure filifera
The robusta is ~14 months old and has surpassed the height of my waste when standing next to it. these palms are loving this weather. 

2- x Butiagrus 

runner up, grows about the same pace as Washingtonia filifera for me, maybe a smidge slower; this palm is putting on girth the fastest.

3- Livistona nitida 

once this palm got there it’s ‘desert shock” it is growing quite nicely. This is my 2nd highest drinker this summer, behind Sabal palmetto.

4- Trachycarpus fortunei 

My established T. fortunei grow remarkably faster than any of my smaller ones. They’ve grown over a foot since I moved into this home in November. Growth has slowed during the heat. 

5- Brahea armata

Very slow in attaining any height. This palm is putting on girth and flushing now fronds are an impressive rate. it gets regular water during the heat and is loving it. 

Honorable mention - Trachycarpus princeps. these took a surprisingly long time to get established. After a long stand still of only a couple fronds, the last several weeks they have been pushing new growth like crazy. I’ve never seen a Trachycarpus grow faster in the heat. 

Great topic @James760!
Interesting to me to see which palms give a magnificent performance in different environments. 

• Like 5

In a cooler climate for me it works out like this:

1. Trachycarpus fortunei - hands down they can be downright fast with the right specimen

2. Butia odorata/eriospatha

3. Mule palm

4. Trachycarpus wagnerianus

5. Chamaerops humilis - green form

Everything else is tough to say what is growing faster.  The bigger the palm the faster it grows for me at least.

Slowest by far is Serenoa repens.  5 years on it still looks like a 1 year old palm

• Like 6

9 hours ago, James760 said:

#1 Brahea Edulis

Wow James, this surprises me!  I've read where they are quite slow.  Brahea calcarea is my slowest.  I'm not counting leaves, but based on general observations for me:

1.  x Butyagrus

2.  Livistona nitida

3.  Washingtonia filibusta

4.  Phoenix canariensis

5.  Phoenix theophrasti

• Like 6

Jon Sunder

Here are mine in no particular order

- Washingtonia Robusta - this thing is a beast; it spent the better part of last growing season fighting through transplant shock then blew the hell up and hasn't looked back.  (Pics - April 2019, August 2019, August 2020)

- Mule - I have 5 total that are all growing at different rates. 2 that I have sited in large planters have doubled in size since last year.  (Pics - August 2019, July 2020)

- Phoenix Sylvestris - I have this planted in a large planter as well and if I had to guess has pushed out somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 fronds since establishing last year. (Pics - August 2019, July 2020)

- Livistona Chinensis - didn't pick the best time to plant this one (February of this year) so it took awhile to show any signs of life. However since establishing it has pushed out 5 new fronds and is sited in a full sun location which is supposed to slow them down. (Need to get some pics of this one) 

- Bambusa oldhamii - not a palm but this stuff is incredible. Also planted in February and has exploded with our summer heat. (Pics - Feb 2020, August 2020) pics are reversed...

Enjoy some pics :D

20190408_174543.jpg

20190816_173914.jpg

20200704_134050.jpg

20190813_193857.jpg

20200725_215447.jpg

20200819_143004.jpg

20200819_143020.jpg

20200819_143029.jpg

20200229_140252.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 7

@UK_Palms, wow 3 feet! Thats impressive :greenthumb:. The Jubaea Chilensis surprises me a bit how slow it is for you while Phoenix Dactylifera doesn't surprise me at all. 

• Like 1

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

@LivistonaFan,  that's a great tip thank you! Honestly though its more laziness on my part :floor:

To many palms & to little time to keep track so i just marked a few with a permanent marker but I did it late spring I believe? By then some palms had pushed out 1-3 leafs. I love your method though,  I can tag them early on say in winter & forget about them! 

I hope you get some good growth with those next growing season! :greenthumb:

• Like 2

@Swolte, Geez! What the heck am I doing not have a mule palm :bemused: thats an interesting cross & a triple! Wow! No doubt Livistona Nitida is super fast for you guys out in Texas.  

I only have experience with Nannorrhops Arabica.  Never had a Ritchiana. If it's a Arabica I bet its the wet & humidity thats slowing it down. I have one planted at my sisters house, I moved out a little over 5 years ago & this thing is still alive! No supplemental water or fertilizer, maybe gets 5" of rain a year ( mostly in winter) thats all. Extremely drought tolerate plant! 

• Like 1

ok back on the road for me. Keep this going. Very interesting indeed :greenthumb:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James760 said:

What the heck am I doing not have a mule palm

Frankly, I was wondering the same when I saw your impressive list. I figured you'd be a purist of sorts and mostly wanted the naturally occurring palms!

2 hours ago, James760 said:

I only have experience with Nannorrhops Arabica.  Never had a Ritchiana. If it's a Arabica I bet its the wet & humidity thats slowing it down. I have one planted at my sisters house, I moved out a little over 5 years ago & this thing is still alive! No supplemental water or fertilizer, maybe gets 5" of rain a year ( mostly in winter) thats all. Extremely drought tolerate plant! 

I have the Ritchiana but its slowness is likely due to the reasons you mentioned (wet cold). I know they have a huge specimens at the JFGardens (formerly Peckerwood) about 30 miles southeast of here with similar humidity & wetness as I have (though they are more a 9a than my 8b; and their soil doesn't have a ph of 8). Gave me hope it may do well with the humidity at least.  Anyway, I rarely water it and its on a high slope of a sandy loam. It doesn't look like dying but its just  slow(er than I expected).

5"/year is brutal... :o 

The second pic is my Mazari and the first pic is what I will expect it to become (with half of our local living plant legend, Adam Black @ JFGardens).

Mazari.jpg

Mazari.JPG

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, James760 said:

@UK_Palms, wow 3 feet! Thats impressive :greenthumb:. The Jubaea Chilensis surprises me a bit how slow it is for you while Phoenix Dactylifera doesn't surprise me at all. 

Well about 2-3 feet. Either way, that Fortunei is by far the fastest growing thing in my garden over the past 6-12 months. Right now it is averaging 1 new frond a week. I have two other Fortunei's and they are very slow in comparison to that one. Nowhere near as painstakingly slow as the Jubaea though. I've got no interest in ever starting Jubaea's from seed for that reason. They're a nightmare to germinate as well. The Butia is a slow coach as well frankly. I'm probably losing more fronds than I'm growing on my Butia this year.

• Like 3

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

14 hours ago, LivistonaFan said:

@James760 I have bought your top 3 this year and would be happy if they will grow half as quick as yours:greenthumb:

If you lose track on counting the leaves, just throw a cable tie loosely on the newest emerging spear in spring and you can count the number of leaves quite precisely. You can even see how much the trunk has grown.

931484068_DSC_4766(1).thumb.JPG.bc595a330d826ac1ae34711222a861be.JPG

@LivistonaFan What a wonderful idea!!! I've never thought to do that to monitor growth!!! Definitely doing that on the palms this next year!

• Like 4

@RyManUtah, Gotta love Washingtonia's! They don't disappoint if you have the heat, which you definitely have out there in St. George :greenthumb: 

Thats interesting about your Trachycarpus Princeps, mines still moving slow.  2 new leaves since I planted it in early spring. Do you have it planted in a sunny spot? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, James760 said:

Thats interesting about your Trachycarpus Princeps, mines still moving slow.  2 new leaves since I planted it in early spring. Do you have it planted in a sunny spot? 

I thought it was interesting as well. I have two next to the fence/wall. So they’re shaded in the morning. In the winter they were both in sun til dark. Interestingly enough, they way the house Shadow lines up In summer.. one is in a sunny spot, one is not. They struggled with the heat until I kicked up their water. 

theyre still small, but it will be interesting to see if they developed different sized crowns. 

• Like 3

@Chester B, Thats great that your mules in your top 5! Actually a bit surprised. I guess having Butia? Crossed with it makes all the difference.  Have you ever tried a queen for fun? If so, what was your experience as far speed with it in the PNW? 

I have a Serenoa Repens blue ( was sold to me as that) its put out 4 leaves this year so far. Its shugging along well. Obviously its appreciating the heat here but I'm a little surprised with this one. I was assuming it'll be slower for me :hmm: not complaining at all! 

Excellent..  i love your palm selections.  Brahea Edulis is one palm I think about from time to time.. but have never found or picked one up.  Do you think it may be hardier than a robusta??  I have read that they are leaf hardier than robusta..  Nice...  Looks like great growth.. establishment.  :greenthumb:

• Like 3

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

@Fusca, I thought the same about Brahea Edulis as well! This one seems to be a true Mediterranean climate loving palm. B)

@DAVEinMB, Great pictures! That Phoenix Sylvestris really exploded, It has a nice big crown now! The Livistona Chinensis is surprising,  5 fronds is great & we still have time for everything to still grow :greenthumb:

@SailorBold, Thank you! 

From my experience they're both very similar in cold hardiness.  I haven't had any significant cold (under 15-16f) to burn the two in 13 years "yet". & I hope never :D ( wishful hopes) 

But I have only grew Brahea Edulis for about 8-9 years? So I cant reasonably say if its more leaf hardy. I definitely think they're worth a shot though :greenthumb:

@Swolte, thats an impressive specimen for sure! The biggest one I've ever seen in person was in Lake Elsinore, CA at Kevin's. That ones on beast mode too! Your mazari isn't to far behind mine. Once yours pick up speed I'd bet itll surpass mine :greenthumb:

Here's that Nannorrhops Ritchiana at Kevin's. It was hard to get a decent pictures of it.Check out the shovel off to the side,, you can kinda get a comparison with it.. 

20200820_235217.thumb.jpg.d28e7bb69cef8bf712260384a09fc63c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

@James760 contrary to popular belief we do have pretty decent weather in the summer.  Months of sun and warm to hot weather.   Mid 80's is typical but we do have stretches of 90's and hit triple digits each summer.  Pretty much from June until sometime in October I have to water the palms every 2 or 3 days we get so dry here.  The non native maple trees are already turning color and dropping leaves which actually is a little late this year because they hate our summers.

I have two mules and they both are small.  I planted one out this year and the other is in the greenhouse getting cooked.  The one in the ground adjusted to being planted quickly and is growing faster than the potted one.   I make sure it's well fertilized and watered - its in a partial sun location.  Next year I may pull the trigger on a big Mule but I am holding off as I am working through immigration right now to become a permanent resident.  If it doesn't work out I'm back off to Canada and if I don't move to BC then palms are pretty much out of the picture for me.

I have toyed with doing a queen I have a spot I think it would work until it got too big.  AFAIK no one has been successful long term with a queen in our climate.  Again they are one of those palms that hate our constant cool and wet that we get all winter.  Winter is very humid and many surfaces don't dry off, even the paved roads grow moss.  If we had drier winters it would open a whole new selection of palms for us, cold is rarely the issue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

@James760 contrary to popular belief we do have pretty decent weather in the summer.  Months of sun and warm to hot weather.   Mid 80's is typical but we do have stretches of 90's and hit triple digits each summer.  Pretty much from June until sometime in October I have to water the palms every 2 or 3 days we get so dry here.  The non native maple trees are already turning color and dropping leaves which actually is a little late this year because they hate our summers.

I have two mules and they both are small.  I planted one out this year and the other is in the greenhouse getting cooked.  The one in the ground adjusted to being planted quickly and is growing faster than the potted one.   I make sure it's well fertilized and watered - its in a partial sun location.  Next year I may pull the trigger on a big Mule but I am holding off as I am working through immigration right now to become a permanent resident.  If it doesn't work out I'm back off to Canada and if I don't move to BC then palms are pretty much out of the picture for me.

I have toyed with doing a queen I have a spot I think it would work until it got too big.  AFAIK no one has been successful long term with a queen in our climate.  Again they are one of those palms that hate our constant cool and wet that we get all winter.  Winter is very humid and many surfaces don't dry off, even the paved roads grow moss.  If we had drier winters it would open a whole new selection of palms for us, cold is rarely the issue.

Oops,  I thought you were from Seattle for some reason... my bad! I definitely agree about cold not being really a issue for you guys. I've been to Seattle & Portland several times in winter & summer & its true, its not terribly cold there in winter :greenthumb: A drier winter would most definitely open up the doors to many more palms.

I hope everything works out with immigration for you. Would be a shame to have to relocate for such a silly reason when you've been here a bit & is not a  violent felon or criminal ( I hope) LOL! Wish you the best of luck.

19 hours ago, Swolte said:
22 hours ago, James760 said:

What the heck am I doing not have a mule palm

Frankly, I was wondering the same when I saw your impressive list. I figured you'd be a purist of sorts and mostly wanted the naturally occurring palms!

Funny that you say that.. Its true,  early on in my passion I only want pure/natural occurring palms.  Over time I started to appreciate everything & When I say everything I mean everything lol! Take for instance our native Joshua Tree (Yucca Brevifolia) I didn't really care for them at all & in all honesty I thought they were ugly. Today I think they're rather beautiful in our setting. I definitely have a huge appreciation for them. 

Some of these hybrids are magnificent! I be a fool to pass on them plus I shouldn't be getting picky in my zone LOL! 

• Like 2

My fastest five:

Both Washingtonia species 

Brahea armata 

Brahea dulcis

Sabal minor 

Chamaedorea microspadix 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Everything's still chugging along. Brahea Edulis, Livistona Nitida  have pushed out 3 more leaves & Livistona Lanuginosa & Nannorrhops Arabica 2 more.

My Nannorrhops is starting to sucker! Has 3 suckers coming out now :D

20200924_132710.thumb.jpg.9bc1908c185eae66ae76e53d477941d3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

• 10 months later...

Bumping these thread. 

2021 TOP 5 Fastest growers!

What are some of your fastest palm growers? 

I've had a few surprises, somethings exceeded my growth expectations while some we're a disappointment. Serenoa Repens (blue) has pumped out 7 new leaves this year & is turning more blue over time! Sabal Minor Blountstown Dwarf & Chipola Dwarf have put out 4 leaves so far! 

Sabal Uresana was a disappointment this year, only 2 leaves compared to this time last year it had 4. I'm hoping it's working on a extensive root system to support its massive growth next year ;). Brahea Moorei, Nitida/ Livistona Austrailis/ Trachycarpus Princeps haven't done much of anything for awhile... 

Then I have my "Demon Dog", maybe I'll save that for another thread :rant:

#1 Trithrinax Campestris ( 11-12 leaves) color keeps getting better!

#2 Livistona Decora ( 10 leaves) really fast but unfortunately my dogs are digging up tons of roots. I cover the area & they move to the other side or re-dig the area. Damn Gophers!

#3 Brahea Edulis/ Livistona Nitida ( 9 leaves) a tie. 

#4 Jubaea Chilensis/ Brahea Dulcis ( 8 leaves) another tie.

#5 Copernicia Prunifera/ Serenoa Repens (blue) ( 7 leaves) I know I said top 5 but what could I do :D

#1 Trithrinax Campestris 

20210813_193058.thumb.jpg.a6a2a95d7fca479fca07c2a6daabc63e.jpg

#2 Livistona Decora 

20210813_190652.thumb.jpg.bef16b7600863e034e71ac10b3576b88.jpg

#3 Brahea Edulis 

20210820_193650.thumb.jpg.67eefd3e8a6bbe73095f36025adf4ef0.jpg

@LivistonaFan,  took your suggestion and tagged the emerging spears on most of my palms at the beginning of the year! Thanks :greenthumb:

20210820_193704.thumb.jpg.6297b151000bace42d1aaca372aa36f7.jpg

#3 Livistona Nitida 

20210813_184913.thumb.jpg.8ff5b74d865a7e3a3c4709581f817dcf.jpg

#4 Jubaea Chilensis 

20210813_193123.thumb.jpg.d6621835c7a933764d061895f7ebbec6.jpg

#4 Brahea Dulcis ( blue)

20210813_190547.thumb.jpg.8f56ab7cfceed4f6a8f4918db1739d93.jpg

#5 Copernicia Prunifera 

20210820_194017.thumb.jpg.d284356b72170880fcfd6926e491c94a.jpg

#5 Serenoa Repens (blue)

20210813_193744.thumb.jpg.c00011a32d43e63824113ce4f2b38a71.jpg

20210813_193618.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

@Jubaea_James760 everything is looking great. Your soil looks like it would dry out in minutes after watering. I imagine you water often. 

Interesting thread. So I didn’t get kicked out of the country, fortunately I was able to get permanent residency finally this year. Big relief!

We’ve had the hottest and could be the driest spring/summer on record so I have a different list this year. Technically top six. 

1. Tie - Trachycarpus fortunei -up to 30” of new trunk  / Butia odorata -working on 8&9 frond

2. Trachycarpus wagnerianus - at least a foot of trunk

3. Sabal Brazoria- huge fronds working on 3&4. Each frond is taller than me and extraordinarily heavy. 

4. Jubaea chilensis - smaller palm but fronds 5&6 are getting ready to open  palm has doubled in overall mass

5. Butia eriospatha - four new fronds so far with a couple big spears pushing  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Nothing is growing at the same speed that I saw last year. Not even close. It has been my coldest and gloomiest summer in at least a decade, since 2011 here. It has also been my wettest summer in 40 years here and looking at the provisional stats, 2021 is shaping up to be the coldest year in half a century. I mean winter was pretty bad, spring was arguably the worst ever on record and summer has been a total let-down as well. 8 months of poor, below average conditions. The exact opposite to what Chester B has experienced. It has been an all-round dreadful year for us here. Some palms like Butia, Jubaea, Sabals, Syagrus etc have barely grown. We just haven't had enough heat or sunshine this summer. Nonetheless, my quickest growers this year are...

1.) Trachycarpus Nova

2.) Trachycarpus Fortunei

3.) Washingtonia Robusta

4.) Washingtonia Filibusta

5.) CIDP and Trachycarpus Wagnerianus (tie)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

Bumping these thread. 

2021 TOP 5 Fastest growers!

What are some of your fastest palm growers? 

#1 Trithrinax Campestris ( 11-12 leaves) color keeps getting better!

#2 Livistona Decora ( 10 leaves) really fast but unfortunately my dogs are digging up tons of roots. I cover the area & they move to the other side or re-dig the area. Damn Gophers!

#3 Brahea Edulis/ Livistona Nitida ( 9 leaves) a tie. 

#4 Jubaea Chilensis/ Brahea Dulcis ( 8 leaves) another tie.

#5 Copernicia Prunifera/ Serenoa Repens (blue) ( 7 leaves) I know I said top 5 but what could I do :D

@LivistonaFan

Looking good James!  Now if those pups can stop their digging!

My list sure has changed since last year thanks to the freeze!  I didn't even realize it until seeing my post from last year but I lost 4 of my top 5!  I haven't counted new fronds and all palms are either newly planted or in recovery mode, but based on casual observations:

#1 x Butyagrus

#2 Copernicia alba

#3 Butia odorata

#4 Chamaerops humilis (green)

#5 Livistona chinensis

@Chester B- how big is your T. wagnerianus?  I just planted a 3-gal (actually a 1-gal size sold in a 3-gal container) about 6 weeks ago and have yet to see any movement.  I believe that these are typically much slower than regular fortunei but hoping it will start moving once we start cooling down in a couple months.  100° today...

IMG_20210717_193342_hdr.jpg

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

@Fusca I have two. One has just over a foot of trunk and the other has about 2.5’. The 2.5’ was grown in a 24” box and now is well over 5’ overall height. When I planted it, the entire box was full of roots so not the normal situation. The rate it’s growing this year is on pace with any regular fortunei from my experience. Big one first and then the smaller one. 

1B82A12A-E13B-49E6-B338-46635EBCB1C6.jpeg

8F6D57E6-11B3-4044-AF60-613D5D249BC2.jpeg

• Like 5

Interesting to revisit this thread!

Just checked my previous response and I had Jubutiagrus, T Fortunei, and the W Robusta as the winners. 

The winterstorm surely did a big number of those. The hybrids have been slow to recover. I am counting 4 large fronds on my big one. The Fortunei, like most Trachy's in Texas, had struggled. Growth is good now but its not a big winner this year. The Robusta, which was cut to the spear, initially pushed a few dwarf fronds and is only now getting back into the race. Too little too late!

Anyway, here are the new winners!

2021 TOP 5 GROWTH RATE
(See pics below. I just took m out in the yard wearing my headlights). 
1) W. Filifera - Surely faster than the Robusta now. It's pushing huge leaves rapidly. A joy to watch. Was cut to a single spear last winter.
2) L. Nitida - Dang, this one surely lives up to its reputation. Protected without a heat source when it hit 3F. It was rather small so I didn't cut it. Though older fronds took damage, it has noticeably gained in size. Reaching for the skies with lots of new fronds.   
3) P. Canariensis - You wouldn't say it but this one was cut to one spear only last winter. A beetle slowed it down but it has been picking up speed again this month. 
4) T. Acanthocoma - I have a small temporary path running there and recently noticed I am getting pinched by the stiff fronds. This one is getting wider and wider! Similar to Nitida, it was still small last year so I didn't cut it down for the winterstorm. Protected without a heat source (some straw and blankets in an exposed spot). The leaves are getting very large and its constantly pushing fronds.   
5) B. Odorata - Wasc ut to the spear and look at it now!

rank Fili.jpg

Rank Niti.jpg

Rank Canar.jpg

Rank Trithr.jpg

Rank Butia.jpg

• Like 7

Zone 7 here so very limited but my Trachy is a rocket...

In ground 2014:

06CC285B-CC30-4D7F-AC22-38EE1B8D8816.thumb.jpeg.7c8c21cb0d0911565e23f492da9ce56c.jpeg

Today...about 8 feet of trunk:

image.thumb.jpg.cc1d0fc5d1376f38cba5c99ae3dcb1ff.jpg

It’s been a real pleasure watching it ride through winter and keep on growing...

Chamaerops in ground 2014:

BFEF36CB-1C23-4B7C-B774-30F8E222C521.thumb.jpeg.d506539508d178d84a96c3cec90a5832.jpeg

Chamaerops now...about 2 feet of trunk:

image.thumb.jpg.87d470e7fe5067f2e99114f7c1aae8ac.jpg

Not a rocket but definitely a great contender...

image.jpg

• Like 5

Trachy outgrow everything else for me it's not even a contest.  All sabal look like they are 3 times slower.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Trachycarpus fortunei is also the fastest one for me.  Also don´t have many options. It´s definetly growing faster than my Chamaerops humilis. 

The other Trachy doesn´t grow that fast, not sure why. 

Chamaerops on the left still in a pot and the 2 Trachys in 2016.

DSC00338.thumb.JPG.6dbc4c35939bed0ede8cb32ef87d2b25.JPG

Now:

1685878550_WhatsAppImage2021-08-23at00_06_57.thumb.jpeg.7eaeff8c8177145288dca3a2a44f6d01.jpeg1000417497_WhatsAppImage2021-08-23at00_02_56.thumb.jpeg.e8aa739654e09e31eb6a1ba20a48f5da.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, Chester B said:

@Jubaea_James760 everything is looking great. Your soil looks like it would dry out in minutes after watering. I imagine you water often. 

Interesting thread. So I didn’t get kicked out of the country, fortunately I was able to get permanent residency finally this year. Big relief!

We’ve had the hottest and could be the driest spring/summer on record so I have a different list this year. Technically top six. 

1. Tie - Trachycarpus fortunei -up to 30” of new trunk  / Butia odorata -working on 8&9 frond

2. Trachycarpus wagnerianus - at least a foot of trunk

3. Sabal Brazoria- huge fronds working on 3&4. Each frond is taller than me and extraordinarily heavy. 

4. Jubaea chilensis - smaller palm but fronds 5&6 are getting ready to open  palm has doubled in overall mass

5. Butia eriospatha - four new fronds so far with a couple big spears pushing  

Thanks @Chester B. I don't know exactly what my soil consists of but I would say a mixture of clay with sand for the majority of my property. It drains very well. The top drys out quick & by the next day it looks like I had not watered but if I scratch down with my finger about a 1/4- 1/2" it's still very moist. 

I have a drip system in that goes off 3 days a week for 1.5 total hours each day. Most seedlings to small plants have 2gph emitters while bigger stuff has 4-8gph depending on current species. I do hand water once a week on the front yard usually too but that's just me spoiling them :D

I'm glad everything work out for you with your citizenship! & I would say I'm surprised about your top 5 growers but I regularly watch your YouTube channel so I see the updates from time to time :floor: but 30" of trunk on the Fortunei is amazing!!

@UK__Palms, I hope your weather is better for you next year & everything explodes with growth :greenthumb: