NickJames

It’s been a year.

NickJames

My dear foxtail has been in the ground a year. Do you prefer her builder-provided predecessor? (A live oak) LOL

DAC47CB2-336C-4AB8-90D7-053F3F89FC7D.jpeg

• Like 14

chocolatethunda

Looks great! is that a Bismarckia Noblis on the left or a Latan Palm ?

• Like 1

ahosey01
4 hours ago, NickJames said:

My dear foxtail has been in the ground a year. Do you prefer her builder-provided predecessor? (A live oak) LOL

DAC47CB2-336C-4AB8-90D7-053F3F89FC7D.jpeg

To be honest, as a lover of trees generally, either of these in maturity would be super nice in front of my house!

• Like 1

RedRabbit

Nice job getting rid of that oak! I know a lot of people love them, but between the allergies and root damage they’re nothing but trouble for me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

WaianaeCrider

Considering "who" you are asking....That's a dumb question.   LOL   But really it looks GREAT as does the rest of your place.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl

NickJames, I don't mind live oaks, but I like your choice much better.

Just keep that foxtail fertilized.  I notice that most of the foxtails in the Orlando area that are "planted and forgotten" look good for a year or two then gradually fade away from nutritional deficiencies. 

On a recent trip down to Jupiter, FL, I noticed this did NOT seem to be the case.  The tropical climate was very apparent (according to Wikipedia, a "trade-wind Tropical rainforest climate").  Perhaps the added year-round heat and humidity, less winter cold stress and of course much less frequent frosts and freezes (though hardly frequent here anymore) make the difference, or perhaps it is the soil, or maybe it is a combination of both factors.

Either way, your palm looks great, thank you for sharing!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

ruskinPalms

Beautiful transformation! I too took my “live oak” out and put in a bismarkia in its spot and it is thriving. I doubt that tree was the type of live oak you’d actually want anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reeverse

Looking great!! Nice work 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NickJames
13 hours ago, chocolatethunda said:

Looks great! is that a Bismarckia Noblis on the left or a Latan Palm ?

Bismarckia. Tiny little thing I got in a container at Lowe’s and planted same time as foxtail.

• Like 1

NickJames

Re: the live oak...they just are not appropriate for lots this size (subdivision). That live oak was so close to the sidewalk, in about 10 years it would Have popped right up from the roots. Not to get too political, but I think it’s shameful that government forces builders to install overbearing canopy trees on tiny lots and then leave the homeowner holding the bag when it comes to trouble time. 

it was allegedly an actual live oak which is the desirable oak in the right setting, but that setting is not here! And considering the tornado down the street yesterday in DeLand...you should see all the water oaks Snapped right in half. Ugh. 

Oviedo_z10b_lol
7 hours ago, NickJames said:

Re: the live oak...they just are not appropriate for lots this size (subdivision). That live oak was so close to the sidewalk, in about 10 years it would Have popped right up from the roots. Not to get too political, but I think it’s shameful that government forces builders to install overbearing canopy trees on tiny lots and then leave the homeowner holding the bag when it comes to trouble time. 

it was allegedly an actual live oak which is the desirable oak in the right setting, but that setting is not here! And considering the tornado down the street yesterday in DeLand...you should see all the water oaks Snapped right in half. Ugh. 

Funny thing: A few years ago, I represented a landscaper that got dragged into a big construction defect suit by a condo association in which the condo claimed the landscaper improperly installed the live oaks too close to the sidewalk, which damaged them. I pointed at the municipality that REQUIRED them to be there! Right there between the sidewalk and the curb! What did they think was going to happen?!?! 
live oaks are too big for quarter acre residential tracts. Plus, we’d all be dead and gone before that thing reaches maturity. 
oh yea... nice Foxtail. 

• Like 1

ahosey01
1 hour ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Funny thing: A few years ago, I represented a landscaper that got dragged into a big construction defect suit by a condo association in which the condo claimed the landscaper improperly installed the live oaks too close to the sidewalk, which damaged them. I pointed at the municipality that REQUIRED them to be there! Right there between the sidewalk and the curb! What did they think was going to happen?!?! 
live oaks are too big for quarter acre residential tracts. Plus, we’d all be dead and gone before that thing reaches maturity. 
oh yea... nice Foxtail. 

Here in the desert, live oaks (Quercus virginiana) are very nice and typically don't root outward in the same way, but downward to get to the water.  Often they maintain a single-trunk upright form, as well.  In the south - 10 feet from a sidewalk?  Yeah right.

Edited by ahosey01

RyManUtah
On 8/19/2020 at 7:58 AM, NickJames said:

Do you prefer her builder-provided predecessor? (A live oak) LOL

For lumber purposes, yes :interesting:

your palm is gorgeous! Significant improvement over that live oak 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

NickJames
10 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

For lumber purposes, yes :interesting:

your palm is gorgeous! Significant improvement over that live oak 

I just can’t even. LOL.

• Upvote 1

Coasta

Wow what a beautiful front yard!!! Congrats Nick :)

• Like 1

donalt

Hi NickJames, I'm HOA president of my suburban Orlando neighborhood. I can tell you that every 4 or 5 years we have to spend upward of $20,000 to repair sidewalks due to invasive oak tree roots. You are correct that in a few short years, those trees (and I love the shady canopy, BUT) will overtake everything. 

• Like 1

NickJames
6 minutes ago, donalt said:

Hi NickJames, I'm HOA president of my suburban Orlando neighborhood. I can tell you that every 4 or 5 years we have to spend upward of $20,000 to repair sidewalks due to invasive oak tree roots. You are correct that in a few short years, those trees (and I love the shady canopy, BUT) will overtake everything. 

I believe it. I imagine there might be an ADA component as well that sort of forces the issue. 

• Like 1

DoomsDave
2 hours ago, NickJames said:

I believe it. I imagine there might be an ADA component as well that sort of forces the issue. 

You go.

An upstanding HOA exec. :greenthumb:

donalt

sidewalks are not the only thing oak tree roots can destroy.....water lines from the street to the house are an even bigger headache. the roots wrap themselves around and like a boa constrictor, a very expensive homeowner issue.