IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Slowpoke

The Gerg

I love Dypsis decipiens but they sure are slow. You really do need to appreciate and celebrate each leaf opening. :) 

With this one bifurcated into two stems I think that slows it down a bit. I know even single stem ones are slow but multiples are even slower. My fingers are crossed I will actually see a ring or two of trunk before I die. :huh:

995A0274-3A94-4B1F-96B7-7EC78EE98278.thumb.jpeg.f87365d86e886a684101366db6678815.jpeg

1B2C8DDB-C959-407F-9EDA-999C5D1EBE9E.thumb.jpeg.746f51dc5cf5e3fe12942d8676a4258f.jpeg

• Like 11

I have a couple of palms that are this way, 1 frond a season Painfully slow.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

While there are several palms in the Dypsis genus I think are beautiful palms, they all move so slow lol. Part of why I haven’t planted a Decipiens is due to the growth rate everyone talks about. I think Lutescens and Lafazamanga are slow, Decipiens I’d find to be epically slow. I have a Kentiopsis Pyriformis that grows so slow I consider editing it almost every day. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, James B said:

While there are several palms in the Dypsis genus I think are beautiful palms, they all move so slow lol. Part of why I haven’t planted a Decipiens is due to the growth rate everyone talks about. I think Lutescens and Lafazamanga are slow, Decipiens I’d find to be epically slow. I have a Kentiopsis Pyriformis that grows so slow I consider editing it almost every day. 

@James B, I think the fact that some palms are quite slow is what makes them such gems when you see large sized ones. As long as you have enough other palms that move along quicker I think the slowpokes are well worth the wait. Plus people usually say with slow palms once they develope a trunk they pick up speed. You mentioned Kentiopsis pyriformis....I have a K.O. in the ground that was very slow at first but is now picking up a little speed. I’m very glad I never edited it out of the garden. I vote keep the K.P. as it will become quite a treasure one day. (For your kids). Haha!

I have an Actinokentia divaricata that I moved from one location that turned out I wanted a little more movement to back behind and under some Archies and other palms in the back corner of my yard. It now has more shade and protection so it will hopefully hold more than one nice looking leaf at a time. It is out of sight out of mind for now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

@James B, I think the fact that some palms are quite slow is what makes them such gems when you see large sized ones. As long as you have enough other palms that move along quicker I think the slowpokes are well worth the wait. Plus people usually say with slow palms once they develope a trunk they pick up speed. You mentioned Kentiopsis pyriformis....I have a K.O. in the ground that was very slow at first but is now picking up a little speed. I’m very glad I never edited it out of the garden. I vote keep the K.P. as it will become quite a treasure one day. (For your kids). Haha!

I have an Actinokentia divaricata that I moved from one location that turned out I wanted a little more movement to back behind and under some Archies and other palms in the back corner of my yard. It now has more shade and protection so it will hopefully hold more than one nice looking leaf at a time. It is out of sight out of mind for now.

I planted an Oliviformis in May and it has been a much better grower for me than Pyriformis. Solid medium growth speed palm getting ready to open its second leaf since planting. My guess is it will open 3 leaves this year and next year might open closer to 4. The Pyriformis was already slow but I planted in April and it went into shock and defoliate most of its leaves and was dormant for a few months. About 3 weeks ago it finally started to grow a new spear(very slowly) but it is growing. Had it not been such a rare palm I would have pulled it. Hoping next year it at least picks up a bit of speed.

@James B, interesting. My pyriformis is plugging along just fine in its pot. Hopefully it won’t experience as much shock as yours when I finally find the right spot to plant it. I’ve had a couple of palms completely defoliate on me as you say. One of them being a Bentinckia condapanna. Since I’ve planted two more in better suited locations and so far looking great. One is getting sun burn but I think it’s going to acclimate ok to that. Another being Dypsis sp. dark mealy bug which has come back to life (kinda) in a pot. Unfortunately I never plan on that becoming anything too special for me here in Ventura but who knows, I may find one of those out of sight out of mind spots and forget about it and see what it does. Pics below of the two Bentinckia’s.

1008C026-F632-4EA2-97AA-09E4A968BF57.thumb.jpeg.4466cb5325725935d7b58d6d4b313d17.jpeg

86990055-F4E5-4F4F-872D-47F90E501FC9.thumb.jpeg.b4207206e3829afb19761d249fa0141d.jpeg

• Like 3

Interesting...I have a few different forms of decipiens.  They look, grow differently from each other.  I have one that throws 4/5 fronds a year while others throw 2-3.  I had thought that they might be hybrids, but only time will tell.  

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

After maybe 13 years in the ground, my Decipiens is thinking about maybe trunking... it has sped up in the last few years, keeps 2-3 active spears at a time... not the best pic with the base hidden behind the Alocasias but ...

Xc2snVS1_YmF0aKNGSM7gMzJupKtAHY0YnGm_ApJyWX_kxtSuXh93xZvF0ZQuGjGggjq2uP_3GBotdc8cMVtCziOhp189KnauXXI5yJo4YRFX8TMjWk-oxp675ZebFDG4DWLnP4VLdqS33YOeDfnqebu-TMopqmi8qQ4L6NnDmE6pA2f9f-gKkMKEfUu0QUcCdN6UZ6rw1d4e8ZQ1HYtj03IJq9qlRGkefsEE--NqTh7ae5iaa7NWvprVN85p4KaGZuhk8zC72KukU4jpy7IV-VIW8BU1FTcFQBnQOmsYAtYlig9D74GiyXS20ULlBJ9_4Yuutn067O2mmHpP_SncBzSpBomRoELUQEKsX9RQby7Zy220MGUFgz_PirQC-m2sfrkakOpaW8yHOWYZC_8q2P3asvl4fpU8_tSGe28TUJSVaRZZl4A1tcA6Q_vihu9kFzjDb5niTpLLQwPrOTlC0w9ZugK8Mk3HCAsNJVkR8z0xBCUBXwsOtwXKemoN1zKUFPsGWeVDUSADSHBaXtAva0LZ93X5jSPcbTSlJTGxlOzc8jFLMbD_ubHDOkG16Hn1ZnT5kXtle-wfF7pqoiBOkmYcGu1jrIse1uIYsh9XjQb2cVhSHSBVydTT6O1Sx1SMbHNi5wn10PSXfxndFN5MU2K4Mo_98AurhL0se7ZzYb48LdwBEzug-QrIvVz37Q=w1410-h1057-no?authuser=0

• Like 2

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Interesting...I have a few different forms of decipiens.  They look, grow differently from each other.  I have one that throws 4/5 fronds a year while others throw 2-3.  I had thought that they might be hybrids, but only time will tell.  

When you say they look different, can you share photos, as I'm curious.  I've posted both of my D decipiens, which look similar in structure, just one has far outpaced the other in growth, while the slower one has far outpaced the faster one in splitting trunks (4 trunks on the slow one and 2 on the faster one).  Even before it develops trunk, I think it's well worth growing.  I'm guessing that the faster one might trunk within the next 4 years based on it's growth rate thus far, and I put it in the ground in 2016 from a citrus pot size (a couple of current photos below).  The winner was acquired at a Palm Society auction.... so make sure you attend the meetings whenever they can resume!  They are a great place to see other gardens, meet other self identified "palm geeks", buy some fun plants and support the work of the Palm Society.

20200813-BH3I0840.jpg

20200813-BH3I0834.jpg

• Like 7

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

@Tracy....Wow. 4 trunks on the slower one. I thought these usually topped out at 3. Obviously I’m wrong. I’m guessing that is the reason it is slower to put on more size. I’m hoping the one I posted tops out at the two. I have another one similar in size to the one I posted that still is single. It’s still in the pot though. Interestingly, the one in the ground will open its leaf and then makes me wait awhile before pushing another. The one in the pot is pushing its second spear and doesn’t seem to want to open the first one. Pic below.

image.thumb.jpg.d5e278dc2a18db6a6b8e48c10bb0445c.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely worth the 17 year wait. This triple is picking up speed now that it’s first trunk ring will soon be revealed. It’s almost ten feet tall overall. 

As far as Kentiopsis oliviformis is concerned, I’ve never considered them slow. I have three and all are growing almost like Archontophoenix but K. pyriformis is a total snail.

9148A25D-4C6C-419C-B899-676448291DD8.thumb.jpeg.9d6aec3698e311ef1d6bd8e4e31d84cb.jpeg

A1400DBD-3585-496E-9B9D-6B3BBD29ECF9.thumb.jpeg.5bced1996ad65bc2c48b064004ef0c83.jpeg

902D9D78-B721-4FD1-83D6-510EB4A018B5.thumb.jpeg.10096ac93bfe7e385cad43a4eec8361e.jpeg

56BD9CA0-E02F-4C7C-A457-545EDEECF7CF.thumb.jpeg.df346f832c8820c61578e827f30ec78a.jpeg 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 6

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

46 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

The one in the pot is pushing its second spear and doesn’t seem to want to open the first one. Pic below.

Find a spot to put it in the ground and I'm sure it will appreciate having room for it's roots.  My slower one has done similar things regarding pushing out a second spear and waiting for it to get quite large before the earlier spear opens.  With my Dypsis plumosa, it seems to be a rite of spring for it to have 3 full size spears and then all 3 open in sequence, which creates a long wait for the first of the 3.

13 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

This triple is picking up speed now that it’s first trunk ring will soon be revealed.

The largest one has really become chunky Jim.  It looks great.  I see you had to take one leaf off a little early, I'm guessing that was growing out into a walkway?

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

9 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Find a spot to put it in the ground and I'm sure it will appreciate having room for it's roots.  My slower one has done similar things regarding pushing out a second spear and waiting for it to get quite large before the earlier spear opens.  With my Dypsis plumosa, it seems to be a rite of spring for it to have 3 full size spears and then all 3 open in sequence, which creates a long wait for the first of the 3.

The largest one has really become chunky Jim.  It looks great.  I see you had to take one leaf off a little early, I'm guessing that was growing out into a walkway?

It grew way into the street and cars were whacking it. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Planted this palm last year as a 5 gal.  It has opened 6 fronds since that time.  Easily a large 15 gal palm now.  It had a longer “neck” than what I am used to seeing.D1E410C5-9467-443D-B071-B03A4DEA692E.thumb.jpeg.64b0be9c93a681bf01b4702510a5a82d.jpeg

Here is my traditional looking decipiens with a wide crown.  Opened up two fronds since it was planted as a 15 gal palm.  It is smaller than the first one now.  Also a single trunk, but much more red in the emerging spear.

6B248456-B3D1-412A-94EE-FEFDF4C8D3CB.thumb.jpeg.d9083ec298878cc7727b343c22082e50.jpeg

• Like 5

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

3 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

As far as Kentiopsis oliviformis is concerned, I’ve never considered them slow. I have three and all are growing almost like Archontophoenix but K. pyriformis is a total snail.

I do not consider my K.O. to be slow at all at this point, although not as fast as my archontopheonix so far.  If my memory is correct the K.O. was pretty slow while it was a little fellow. Maybe it was my individual plant. Obviously growing conditions and environment have some say in the speed as well. Meanwhile so far I have not noticed my K.P. to be that slow. Below is a pic that shows similar sized plants. The K.O. on the left and the K.P.  on the right. Now you’ve got me wanting to follow and compare.

image.thumb.jpg.411ff8fd49afeab242e43bce4dc970bd.jpg

• Like 1

Greg, I am with Jim on this one. My Oli and Piri went in together looking like yours about eight years ago, no prizes for guessing which is which now. I took both pics at the same elevation, six foot the same as the fence, to show the relative difference in height.  Because of the height difference and my intention to include the 6' fence I needed to use different orientations in my pics unfortunately.

20200819_131040.thumb.jpg.42ef4031f929bbb579615d124f99ff0b.jpg

Yes, this is Kentiopsis pyriformis, and the one below is ...

20200819_130854.thumb.jpg.b9e2d5806bc6aa0bcba22619b300b16c.jpg

Kentiopsis oliviformis

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

@gtsteve.....Thanks. You did the comparison for me.  Although this does not deter me from planting a K. pyriformis. Like so many others you just need to know not to plant it somewhere you want quick growth. Perhaps over time I will come to realize it’s a “slowpoke” but for now it’s moving along ok for me in its pot.

Maybe once this palm gets planted in the ground it concentrates on root establishment first before growing upward.

2 hours ago, The Gerg said:

"Thanks. You did the comparison for me." ........  "this does not deter me from planting a K. pyriformis."

Mate, Good, That is how I had intended to help you and others.

My post was not meant to deter you from planting the Piri, I am glad that it did not. I was just visually adding to the knowledge pool. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.