IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Flame Thrower Isn’t Happy

Aaron in Fountain Valley

I am new to growing palms. What seems to be the issue? Thanks.

B9DDCFDF-C5A0-40AD-92ED-A138998BF4E2.jpeg

16BE422E-98F1-4D3E-BE7D-CC8C134DAD01.jpeg

C5373042-CBBF-42A8-A125-C9494EABD4D3.jpeg

0B35C1F3-765A-43A7-8D9D-258A72101F4D.jpeg

If it is newly planted give it time it will grow out of that. It looks like sun and stress 

• Like 2

Hi Aaron.  Welcome to PT.  Where did you get the palm from?  How long has it been planted?  Could be just an acclimating process it is going through.  If it was grown in filtered sun/shade and you have it planted in full sun, the fronds will burn like your palm is showing.   This could take one to several growing seasons to adjust.

If it came from Hawaii or Florida, it will definitely have to acclimate.  Climate is very different and the palm just needs time to adjust.  

Just be patient.  Flamethrowers do very well in our climate.  Also, if it’s a recent planting, do not be quick to fertilize.  Again, the palm just needs to acclimate.

Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I just watered before taking the picture. However, you might be right. I have been watering about 3 times a week (on the same schedule as my king palms). Maybe nice deep waterings 3 times a week is too much. The spot gets almost full day sun (minus a few hours of morning sun).

Thanks Joe. Bought the palm from Jungle Music. I left it in the pot for 3 weeks and tried to add more sun slowly. It’s been in the ground for about a month.

5 minutes ago, Aaron in Fountain Valley said:

I just watered before taking the picture. However, you might be right. I have been watering about 3 times a week (on the same schedule as my king palms). Maybe nice deep waterings 3 times a week is too much. The spot gets almost full day sun (minus a few hours of morning sun).

You are not overwatering.  In fact, if it’s in full sun, you might want to up the watering. It’s been hot lately.  JM grows their palm in their shade house.  Fronds are tender and will burn.  

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I would put shade net over it for the rest of the summer/fall.  These palms don't like bright/hot inland sun at a small size.  Nothing wrong with putting a few sticks and a shade net over it so it can adapt to the sun more slowly.  Its roots will be growing it needs to do that first, and hot direct sun wont help there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

@Aaron in Fountain Valley welcome!

@joe_OC beat me to it, so I'll concur vigorously, and note that I've got about 25 Chambeys in the ground.

Here's a picture of one them, in full red "papal" glory, right in front of my house. I'm in La Habra, about 10 miles from you, more or less, and a lot further inland and a lot hotter. If you like, you're welcome to take a tour and see the possibilities. Shoot me a PM (private message) and we can set it up. And, even if not, nice to meet you and we'll be here to help you with what's going to be a glorious garden.

chambey.JPG.d0133db8878d4c1a1a22c93935fb0cd2.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mine looked the same way when I put them in the ground in a more exposed area. New leaves will be tougher and the plant will be more vigorous once it's acclimated.

With this heat wave, I've been giving all my New Cal palms a shower in the mid afternoon. I feel like it's hard to overwater these palms in the summertime, but you can always stick your finger in the ground before watering and get a sense of the moisture content. I like your rock design, but most palms love a layer of mulch to add nutrients, buffer temperature, and prevent evaporation from the soil.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FD0F4D3C-F1D0-43D7-8D1E-1E8E14D91895.thumb.jpeg.12861d9b81a70244755351fe556eab35.jpeg

It’s not as beautiful as DoomsDave’s, but I just wanted you to see the evolutions of leaves once out in a sunny spot. There is one of the original Kentucky-fried leaves seen in the bottom of the image. Each subsequent leaf has been larger and healthier. I’m sure I could have put it under shade cloth for a year or two and dragged out the acclimation process over a longer period, but I’d rather just scald a few leaves and let it grow out of it. 

There is Palmtalk thread from someone not far from you who lined his (or her) front walkway with Chambeyronia and they took off like gangbusters. It was very inspirational... worth a look:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/22533-chambeyronia-macrocarpa-experiment-1/

• Like 2

Chambeys are worth the trouble to keep happy, which really isn't that much.

I've got pictures of when I've had like 8 or 9 all throw red leaves at once, who needs fireworks?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have quite a few of them in my Northern CA garden. Full all day sun is their enemy particlarly when young and small so mine are planted in areas of the garden that don’t get hot afternoon sun. They’re more tolerant once they have some mature trunk. I water mine like crazy too. They like wet soil so long as it’s not heavy clay which they don’t like anyway. I’d give yours some sun protection since it was most assuredly grown in a shade house prior to you purchasing it. 

0DB057AD-EBB0-4CCA-9AEB-9E369D0DF5E6.thumb.jpeg.1401966a8c29db0b9a8e56a78a82250f.jpeg

7D6C23A1-961F-4999-92CD-8CCCF71F9D13.thumb.jpeg.0ea5ca76350eb43984ac1acf06ed770b.jpeg

3E64233C-29BB-4148-A177-466A9923B3D3.thumb.jpeg.7c11f90685b786cf105606c43e8a5469.jpeg

86FF27C0-8B0D-44A8-ABEB-4483748C5C0D.thumb.jpeg.420c33804c74b2f990c82a6c456d72a8.jpeg

35E94256-699E-4590-BB37-235B62D2866D.thumb.jpeg.b7c9a6bd3bd9bc831c57d8da9b499142.jpeg

00D4DFCF-AEFA-4A33-A22A-B7AB9C8CF9C2.thumb.jpeg.62092974147c4d3d427442fda8fa8930.jpeg

5AC1B904-34CC-43BF-936E-62E3AD6BFC59.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

This has been great advice. I’ll keep up the watering, maybe add some shade, be patient, and clear out the rocks around the base. I love to see the success pictures you all have shared. An incredible tree when it is well grown!

37 minutes ago, Aaron in Fountain Valley said:

This has been great advice. I’ll keep up the watering, maybe add some shade, be patient, and clear out the rocks around the base. I love to see the success pictures you all have shared. An incredible tree when it is well grown!

You may already know it but Chambeyronia are slow growers especially when very young like yours. Most of us have to be satisfied with two new leaves per year, sometimes less! It’s why some of us have several of them so we can enjoy the new red leaves more often. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

On 8/18/2020 at 1:27 AM, Aaron in Fountain Valley said:

I am new to growing palms. What seems to be the issue? Thanks.

B9DDCFDF-C5A0-40AD-92ED-A138998BF4E2.jpeg

16BE422E-98F1-4D3E-BE7D-CC8C134DAD01.jpeg

C5373042-CBBF-42A8-A125-C9494EABD4D3.jpeg

0B35C1F3-765A-43A7-8D9D-258A72101F4D.jpeg

Mine is fairly similar been planted for less than 6 months just opened first leaf today.

Assuming it will just get better in time.

Kind of ignored it since planting.

4A14617F-1F9A-46C1-81A2-0BB9076CC4CD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2020 at 12:12 PM, joe_OC said:

You are not overwatering.  In fact, if it’s in full sun, you might want to up the watering. It’s been hot lately.  JM grows their palm in their shade house.  Fronds are tender and will burn.  

^THIS!!!  I have several flamethrowers here in swampy central Floriduh, and they definitely prefer partial shade and a LOT of water.  My largest is only about 5 feet tall overall but has put out 3 fronds so far this year.  It was originally out front under oak tree shade, but when that oak died it went to full sun overnight.  It burned about as bad as the OP's palm, and I decided to transplant it rather than let it suffer out there.  I planted it last fall with a PM shade from a pygmy date palm, and it seems pretty happy there.  Full sun seems tough on these when they are young.

Here's a photo of one of my others, it got burned in our May heatwave so I transplanted a Foxtail double to give it some PM shade.  The green leaves are the two new ones since May, and it's working on a third.  The yellow leaf is pre-May and the other pre-May leaves just burned to a crisp.  This photo is looking straight West, so you can see the Foxtail gives it some shade from around noon-3pm.

985894658_P1060396cropped.thumb.JPG.84788b4c501792c32d6e7e4a91a3fb50.JPG

• Like 2

Hookeri showing some color.  Watermelon changed so quickly that I was not able to snap any picsC98EC0BA-53D9-4CC0-998A-91C1A2A8A748.thumb.jpeg.68c8d8ac1aeef5df0fbf79c1555799d6.jpeg

• Like 7

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Aaron in Fountain Valley said:

Success! Thanks for all the tips.

9904526F-EC7A-4857-802F-50B5B397EEB2.jpeg

2F5E795B-03C7-48F3-B0BC-C3955E75DEDE.jpeg

Nice! I took the tips from here too. Watered more and mine looks way better too :)

Looking at the cold hardiness of these things, i wouldnt mind attempting it eventually. Would be and interesting experiment. Wonderful looking palms!!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

15 hours ago, JLM said:

Looking at the cold hardiness of these things, i wouldnt mind attempting it eventually. Would be and interesting experiment. Wonderful looking palms!!

Definitely a 9b palm at best so, if your area is less than that, you’ll have to provide excellent protection on colder nights. 

• Like 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Here is a recent (poor quality) photo of mine.  I repotted it into a really high-quality substrate two months ago and it is currently in mostly shade and staying somewhat wet.

1A8F53A1-DA7C-442E-9A9A-0F21F9925E85.jpeg.dce650034e62a1613e4d7028dded39a9.thumb.jpeg.bcf6e30d888ad38d92cd543ae92e2c0f.jpeg

In the first couple weeks after repotting, it suddenly took off and started growing and looking really happy.  After that though, it has seemed to come to a standstill.  I am thinking that either; it is working on growing new roots before it starts putting out top growth, or, it was actually happier in more sun (I moved it into the shade after a couple weeks and it seems to have slowed down since.

-Michael

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Definitely a 9b palm at best so, if your area is less than that, you’ll have to provide excellent protection on colder nights. 

I think i have a spot for it that has relatively low light and no frost during winter. Basically the only canopy i have. This spot gets sun first thing in the morning aswell, it is also a tight space, with protection from all sides (fence and the house). Might honestly be a mini microclimate. Although im not sure if they like lots of water, because this area likes to flood when we get big rain events. I feel like it could be done. Definetly something for me to consider, but it will probably be next spring before i would get it, if i do. 

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa