IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Look at those temps!!!

ahosey01

94f as the low temp! :bemused:

As far as interesting climates go, I was checking out Bisbee recently. It’s in the far southern part of Arizona, but the climate is actually pretty mild. IIRC, summer highs were in the upper 80s rather than the crazy numbers you see in places like Phoenix. It’s probably due to the high elevation of the city, but a neat anomaly none-the-less.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Daaaamnnnnn! I thought it was hot here hot when I saw 6 consecutive days in the 100-105F region at 51N, with lows around 75F, but what you have experienced is something else entirely! That is some mad-ass heat!!!! I couldn't imagine 115-120F days on end here. That is crazy hot!!!

No doubt the Washingtonia Filifera and Phoenix Dactylifera would love that though! :lol2:

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

6 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Daaaamnnnnn! I thought it was hot here hot when I saw 6 consecutive days in the 100-105F region at 51N, with lows around 75F, but what you have experienced is something else entirely! That is some mad-ass heat!!!! I couldn't imagine 115-120F days on end here. That is crazy hot!!!

No doubt the Washingtonia Filifera and Phoenix Dactylifera would love that though! :lol2:

I have never looked, but I bet average rainfall in that area is sub-5 inches per year.

There are a few canyons in the area with naturalized W. filifera and P. dactylifera.  You can see it on google maps here:

image.thumb.png.5c5907d5c29c908bc0add47c8da0d267.png

It's off this spur road to one of the big flood control stations.  Much of my wife's family lives right around there and spends a lot of time on the river.

Edited by ahosey01
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

As far as interesting climates go, I was checking out Bisbee recently. It’s in the far southern part of Arizona, but the climate is actually pretty mild. IIRC, summer highs were in the upper 80s rather than the crazy numbers you see in places like Phoenix. It’s probably due to the high elevation of the city, but a neat anomaly none-the-less.

Southern / southeastern part of the state is the least scorching, outside the mountains. That is also where you will have a Summer Monsoon season just about every year, regardless of what occurs in the rest of the state, esp lower elevation areas like Phoenix / Yuma/ Along the Colorado River.  Mountain "Sky Islands" is where you will encounter all sort of "tropical" plants/animals whose ranges extended north out of neighboring Mexico.. inc Ocelot and Jaguars. un-developed/ ranched sections of the San Pedro River corridor is like entering another state during the summer.. Lush and green.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Southern / southeastern part of the state is the least scorching, outside the mountains. That is also where you will have a Summer Monsoon season just about every year, regardless of what occurs in the rest of the state, esp lower elevation areas like Phoenix / Yuma/ Along the Colorado River.  Mountain "Sky Islands" is where you will encounter all sort of "tropical" plants/animals whose ranges extended north out of neighboring Mexico.. inc Ocelot and Jaguars. un-developed/ ranched sections of the San Pedro River corridor is like entering another state during the summer.. Lush and green.

Mt. Graham is in that area, too.  I've camped at the top and it could be scenery straight out of Switzerland if you didn't drive through the San Carlos reservation on your way to get there.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

There is another nice town called Oracle in the southeast part of the state which is like this too.  That area is definitely very cool.

• Like 2